Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 11:05 AM

38 posts, read 16,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I suggest you do some research on the poster you're accusing of supporting mass drug legalization and defunding the police. Mr. Retired could not be more opposite that person.

Also this "real New Yorker" has lived in Howard Beach since she was 15, without a car.

Somehow, I've managed to survive just fine the last 30 years. Do I want to continue in a transportation/food desert, long term? No.

But your definition of "trash" is quite peculiar if all you base it off is transportation.
A bad neighborhood can be made great as long as it has legit mass transit like subway, commuter rail, light rail, or a combo.

Car centric neighborhoods that started off as good nearly all became bad in the last 40 or 50 years.

The problem is some of the NIMBY scum that protest who almost always are car people whenever rail wants to get expanded. They don't belong in this city.

The less people driving means less pollution, less traffic, less road rage, less violence, less fat women, and more walkable sophisticated areas like you see in certain parts of Europe, increase in retail sales due to foot traffic, better looking women, and more green space investment.

Last edited by EmperorJustinian; 10-15-2021 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Massapequa, Wantagh, Garden City, Merrick etc. All have similar demographics but are far superior to Howard Beach. Also since they are LI neighborhoods they are free from having to deal with most of NYC's politics. The local police aren't tied down to weak woke culture, and the roads are in better shape and have reasonable speed limits unlike Cross Bay Blvd which is a 6 lane divided street with a crappy 20 mph speed limit. The LIRR is also vastly superior to the NYC's dirty crappy subway.

Those areas in Long Island are honestly only good if your workplace is in Long Island.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:39 PM

1,418 posts, read 722,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJustinian View Post
Those areas in Long Island are honestly only good if your workplace is in Long Island.
Agreed. I know people that live out there but work in Manhattan. I don't know how they do it.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:45 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJustinian View Post
Yeah i seen that quality of life and while it had it's pluses it mostly sucked. For every little thing, you needed a car.

There are neighborhoods in NYC and outside of it that have little to train service and they are crime ridden nightmares.

Using your messed up logic, Detroit should be the safest city in America, since it has no legit public transit, yet it is mecca of cars, and is full of crime. Meanwhile cities like Tokyo, Zurich, or Shanghai don't have this problem with undesirables. You do, because people like you supported mass drug legalization and defunding the police.

Real New Yorkers favor trains that is just a fact and Howard Beach is a trash neighborhood since the subway doesn't run along Cross-Bay Blvd.

I suggest you get out of NYC and move upstate closer to Canada were you belong. That way you can drive all over the place.

Howard Beach is Trash for not expanding Mass Transit and Detroit is the mecca of cars and full of crime you say ?

I have been to both places.
A huge difference between night and day.
Nothing to do with Mass Transit.
I think that thanks to limited transit
one neighborhood is spared from becoming Detroit
while the other neighborhoods surrounding Detroit are spared
from the invasion of how did you call it ? the mecca of cars, and is full of crime.

Dig Deeper ................
The difference between a good neighborhood and a bad neighborhood is how well it is taken care of
by the people who live there and not by the people who stand up on the subway platforms waving hello.

The Subway Transit System only helps spread whatever is in one neighborhood to the other and since the MTA
has been the Harbinger of Escalating Violent Crime I strongly believe it is in the public's best interest to keep any MTA expansion locked down.

I have repeatedly stated ............FILL THE HOLE WITH SAND.... save the taxpayers money.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Howard Beach is Trash for not expanding Mass Transit and Detroit is the mecca of cars and full of crime you say ?

I have been to both places.
A huge difference between night and day.
Nothing to do with Mass Transit.
I think that thanks to limited transit
one neighborhood is spared from becoming Detroit
while the other neighborhoods surrounding Detroit are spared
from the invasion of how did you call it ? the mecca of cars, and is full of crime.

Dig Deeper ................
The difference between a good neighborhood and a bad neighborhood is how well it is taken care of
by the people who live there and not by the people who stand up on the subway platforms waving hello.

The Subway Transit System only helps spread whatever is in one neighborhood to the other and since the MTA
has been the Harbinger of Escalating Violent Crime I strongly believe it is in the public's best interest to keep any MTA expansion locked down.

I have repeatedly stated ............FILL THE HOLE WITH SAND.... save the taxpayers money.

Detroit is overloaded with cars and is a high crime city. Had Detroit had a real mass transit system crimes would be much lower. I been to Detroit more time than you can imagine.

mod cut

Once congestion pricing is past i am gonna celebrate when you move out since you generate no value to the city. You don't even live in the city and yet you want to enjoy its privileges but don't want to pay for the greater good.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 10-17-2021 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-16-2021, 07:22 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Agreed. I know people that live out there but work in Manhattan. I don't know how they do it.
If you have a one seat LIRR ride it's not bad at all.

Old 10-17-2021, 12:35 AM

Doesn't Howard Beach have a train station?

Old 10-17-2021, 10:40 AM

1,046 posts, read 468,490 times
Quote:
Doesn't Howard Beach have a train station?
It's right off the LIE, buried on a block that has a section of weeds next to it. It's not exactly walkable to anything but the nearest homes a block away. It's several blocks inland of Crossbay Blvd. and only serves "old" Howard Beach on that side of the boulevard in one small section near the weeds.

Old 10-17-2021, 10:51 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
our kids and grand kids have been in howard beech for years ....

they like it there although the stores can be limiting .

my son in law commutes to the city but does not find it bad .. my daughter only drives so not a problem .

they were able to buy a nice co-op there in a high rise for what it cost to rent here in bay terrace .

our transportation system here is not good either as we have no direct accessible subway and the lirr only goes to manhattan and port washington , no real east leg

Old 10-17-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
our kids and grand kids have been in howard beech for years ....

they like it there although the stores can be limiting .

my son in law commutes to the city but does not find it bad .. my daughter only drives so not a problem .

they were able to buy a nice co-op there in a high rise for what it cost to rent here in bay terrace .

our transportation system here is not good either as we have no direct accessible subway and the lirr only goes to manhattan and port washington , no real east leg
I like Bayside/Whitestone more then Howard Beach but both areas are fine. If the prices between the 2 areas is significant I would choose Howard Beach aswell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City