Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 02:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,411,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Serious question (from a non-drinker): What exactly is the point of bar-"hopping"? Why not just go to one bar that you like and stay there?
Bar hopping is for people who are going out for social stimulation. By going from bar to bar, you get different environments/decor/lighting, different tyes of drinks and food, and most importantly, different people.

If all bars were the same, no one would bar hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 03:13 PM

6,697 posts, read 6,062,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasure8430 View Post
Bar Hopping is fun (when your a drinker) because you get to try out a bunch of different places and get the ins and outs of all of them....so when and if you have nothing to do or your plan A plans fall thru and your with a friend or two you can always come up with a place that you know you can go and have fun like "BAR A has good drinks but no food But Bar B has ok drinks and food Bar C plays good music and has good drinks Bar B always has good looking people there, play good music and have drink specials" it's all about OPTIONS
Personally, I don't last after 2 drinks. Besides, what's the point of bar hopping when drinks are the same everywhere. I mean, cognac is the same at Inwood as it is let's say at Christopher street.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:41 PM

78 posts, read 200,079 times
Im surprised nobodys mentioned the kingsbridge area on broadway between 231st and 238th st. Ive never been to any of the bars there myself but there are many within close proximity.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:55 AM

37,273 posts, read 39,586,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Personally, I don't last after 2 drinks. Besides, what's the point of bar hopping when drinks are the same everywhere. I mean, cognac is the same at Inwood as it is let's say at Christopher street.
I think different environments lead to different activities and people you might meet. It's more of a socializing thing than it is about getting to the alcohol.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,512,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think different environments lead to different activities and people you might meet. It's more of a socializing thing than it is about getting to the alcohol.
Exactly.

Also, people will often pregame at dive bars before going to clubs and lounges.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,411,845 times
Quote:
In my experience, bar hopping usually goes for 3, maybe 4 bars for most people, and if you max out at two drinks, I am sure a bartender would be happy to pour you a soft drink.

Also, if you only drink cognac, fine. but some people like sampling the 2,500 different beers reflecting 30+ different styles available in NYC not to mention the world of wine and cocktails.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:45 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,024,222 times
Quote:
The music is not the same everywhere. The people are not the same everywhere. It's a good way to meet a decent cross section of people or check out what's going on the scene. And while for many people bar hopping is fun, if you work in nightlife, entertainment, or tech bar hopping st the right places can be professional networking.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:48 PM

782 posts, read 528,822 times
Quote:
Cognac is also the same at home. Why bother going out at all?

Old 07-01-2017, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apthunterdr View Post
Im surprised nobodys mentioned the kingsbridge area on broadway between 231st and 238th st. Ive never been to any of the bars there myself but there are many within close proximity.
Yeah. There's a reason for that. Several reasons actually but you can start with this one:

Man Dies from Beating After Pushing Woman in Bronx:
[url]https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20161014/kingsbridge/donell-soto-homicide-beating[/url]

Old 07-01-2017, 08:34 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,331,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXTundra View Post
Yeah. There's a reason for that. Several reasons actually but you can start with this one:

Man Dies from Beating After Pushing Woman in Bronx:
https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...micide-beating
Not only that, but can say such bars aren't that great anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: