Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogstooth View Post
Not I, American steel for me. Placed an order for a 2018 Grand Cherokee Track Hawk.
Going to put on my Make America Great Again cap on and roam Manhattan hunting down M5s and Cayennes
M5s are sexy

Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,637 times
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9F&FORM=VRDGAR

Old 09-04-2017, 06:06 AM

532 posts, read 787,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
*Hoot hoot hoot hoot*. Am proud to say a good portion of my clothing (t-shirts, boxers, socks, belts and pants are all *Made in USA*, some with union labor). Costs more but *much better* quality. Do however but shoes and dress shirts from Italy or other Western European countries like England. Did grocery shopping at Whole Foods on Thursday and bought just about all *Made in USA* products, mainly local too. Rest was from Italy. Even got Van Leeuwen ice cream, made locally from Brooklyn. Same is true with furniture. Have a floor lamp from San Francisco and some other American made furniture.
Good for you in other to feel like a "true" American you have to buy American made stuff. We both know Americans aren't good at making anything besides weapons. But hey, glad trump is making you feel like American is great lol

Old 09-04-2017, 06:36 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,303,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
Good for you in other to feel like a "true" American you have to buy American made stuff. We both know Americans aren't good at making anything besides weapons. But hey, glad trump is making you feel like American is great lol
Am in disagreement. Have been a protectionist going back to when Clinton was in office and he sold out America with NAFTA. When China sends their contaminated goods over and there's a recall, Americans want *Made in USA* products because we have better safety standards and *much* better quality. Only thing not made well here are cars, but can buy so many good things made here. Great food locally or from out in California. Bought a fantastic olive oil, GMO free from California. Some of the best I've had and have lived in Italy.

Soaps, food... Much of what you buy is made here, not unless you get the *knock-off* Chinese versions. If you're a true American, will support your country and follow Americans and buy American. The Chinese sure as hell don't give a damn about your, which is why they send over their tainted food and other things.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 AM

106,732 posts, read 108,937,910 times
every country excels at doing something more efficiently and better than the rest . i have been buying world class foreign goods when that product represents the best value for my dollars or american when it is us that excells .

i remember when a good pair of italian leather shoes were 150 bucks .today i get better pairs for 80 bucks because other countries learned to do it better and offer far greater value.

it is foreign competition and pricing that holds the line on good made here . we do lots of things well here but somethings are best left to those countries who do it the best .

once you mandate that goods have to be from only certain countries you lower the living standards of that country . brazil tried it . if it wasn't made in brazil you couldn't use it .

factories had such a hard time with a lot of their domestic crap they couldn't operate . ibm packed up , closed their factory their and left .. smith and wesson did too .

eventually brazil realized we are all globally linked and to try to force products that are less than world class on themselves was hurtful , not helpful to their economy .

Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
every country excels at doing something more efficiently and better than the rest . i have been buying world class foreign goods when that product represents the best value for my dollars or american when it is us that excells .

i remember when a good pair of italian leather shoes were 150 bucks .today i get better pairs for 80 bucks because other countries learned to do it better and offer far greater value.

it is foreign competition and pricing that holds the line on good made here . we do lots of things well here but somethings are best left to those countries who do it the best .

once you mandate that goods have to be from only certain countries you lower the living standards of that country . brazil tried it . if it wasn't made in brazil you couldn't use it .

factories had such a hard time with a lot of their domestic crap they couldn't operate . ibm packed up , closed their factory their and left .. smith and wesson did too .

eventually brazil realized we are all globally linked and to try to force products that are less than world class on themselves was hurtful , not helpful to their economy .
Nothing wrong with that. We're talking about American companies *outsourcing* simply because they're too cheap to pay decent wages. How Americans can support such things astonishes me and yet people complain about the cost of living going up and the quality of living going down. When Americans want everything *cheap* at all costs, it shows a level of greed because ultimately it hurts *AMERICANS* when it happens. Maybe not you, but someone who depends on those jobs elsewhere. Don't have to buy everything American but at least become educated consumers on how things work. We as a nation cannot depend on foreign goods from everywhere and make nothing. It's simply unsustainable. When the Chinese are protectionists it's fine, but America can't do it. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

This is one reason Trump won. Americans are fed up with low wages and their jobs being shipped elsewhere. Time to bring the jobs back here and start making *more things here in America*. I don't live in China. Want goods from here locally.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:57 AM

well i can tell you this about outsourcing . before i retired i worked for a company that could no longer compete and win bids here based on making our pump castings here
when you manufactur epa requirements and restrictions can kill you .

we were on the verge of closing that division. we looked in to manufacturing overseas but doing assembly ,engineering ,sales and shipping from here .

well it not only saved the company but today they are one of long islands biggest employers with 300 people now doing 100 million in sales . that 100 million goes out to many many others who interface with my company and sell them good and services . thousands of jobs right here were effected positively by the outsourcing that made us competitive and strong again as they got sell millions in product and services to us ..

in fact siemens ,as big as they are , maintain and staff local field offices just because the company does so much in business with them and needs support .

in fact the company recently took over a company upstate with many locations who was going bankrupt and laying off 120 people in albany ,auburn ,buffalo,syracuse and binghampton .

outsourcing is not about just saving wages , it can be about saving jobs right here and growing domestic business's .

Old 09-04-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
well i can tell you this about outsourcing . before i retired i worked for a company that could no longer compete and win bids here based on making our pump castings here
when you manufactur epa requirements and restrictions can kill you .

we were on the verge of closing that division. we looked in to manufacturing overseas but doing assembly ,engineering ,sales and shipping from here .

well it not only saved the company but today they are one of long islands biggest employers with 300 people now doing 100 million in sales .

in fact they recently took over a company upstate with six locations who was going bankrupt and laying off 120 people in albany ,auburn ,buffalo,syracuse and binghampton .

outsourcing is not about saving wages , in can be about saving jobs right here
You pointed to the biggest problem here... Too many regulations. Another good thing about Trump. No secret that he wants to cut back unnecessary regulations that drive up costs and make American companies less able to compete with others found in places like China. We have to do that to give American companies a fair playing field.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:05 AM

well until it is a level playing field it is what it is and there are lots of things that just can't be made here .

we used to do a process called vpi to motor windings . we had to stop because there was always some costly modification the epa wanted done . it never ended . so off shore it went.

the company grew so much that no one lost a job , they were retrained and went in to other growing areas in the company .

today we are big in selling factory automation gear , electrical supplies , pumps , motors , custom control panels ,energy mgmt systems , and a whole lot more stuff than i can remember .

Old 09-04-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
well until it is a level playing field it is what it is and there are lots of things that just can't be made here .

we used to do a process called vpi to motor windings . we had to stop because there was always some costly modification the epa wanted done . it never ended . so off shore it went.

the company grew so much that no one lost a job , they were retrained and went in to other growing areas in the company .

today we are big in selling factory automation gear , electrical supplies , pumps , motors , custom control panels ,energy mgmt systems , and a whole lot more stuff than i can remember .
The good news is there is *lots* of re-shoring. Let's not use regulations to excuse the egregious amount of offshoring that has occurred here. We have to impose levies on American companies that are simply outsourcing to maximize profits. Unacceptable. What happens here does not happen elsewhere. Countries have a duty to protect their citizens and protect jobs for its people, and American companies have been selling out Americans far too long. Luckily there are a plethora of new start-ups dedicated to making *Made in USA* a priority. I support those companies and purchase their goods. It goes further than that though. Have to support American companies that pay decent wages and respect American workers. We are not a commodity, and as consumers we have a big impact on how things work here. Have seen it in the shift in how many places offer organic foods, so it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City