Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 AM

782 posts, read 859,296 times

Advertisements

I get such a kick out of this post-loss rhetoric. Leading up to the playoffs everyone is so hyped on the Yankees....then 1 loss (a big one, I get it...) and its like lets do away with Sabathia and Girardi? The Yankees played well, they're a very solid team...they got far. This over-analysis is futile and illogical. Let's not deny that there's also an element of luck to sports too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
Hope Yanks get lucky and nab Otani from Japan. Starting pitching should be their main focus....much hinges on what Tanaka and CC are asking to return for them. And then making room for the youngsters ( Frazier, Torres, florial) to move up into the team, that means potentially trading Castro, Headley, or Didi.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Breaking news - Joe Girardi out as manager.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I get such a kick out of this post-loss rhetoric. Leading up to the playoffs everyone is so hyped on the Yankees....then 1 loss (a big one, I get it...) and its like lets do away with Sabathia and Girardi? The Yankees played well, they're a very solid team...they got far. This over-analysis is futile and illogical. Let's not deny that there's also an element of luck to sports too....
Has more to do with having lots and lots of money than just pure luck. No other team has Yankee money, not even the Dodgers. They represent the 1%.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Has more to do with having lots and lots of money than just pure luck. No other team has Yankee money, not even the Dodgers. They represent the 1%.
That's a credit to their operations/ business. They didn't always have money. They make a lot of money and lucky for their fans, they reinvest it back into the team. Just like in any business.

If you're talking payroll, Dodgers have Yankees beat by a wide margin for this year. They intend to lower payroll more this offseason to stay under luxury tax penalties. Also there is no correlation with payroll and playoff success. Yankees have not won a title since 2009.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-for-2017/amp/

Old 10-26-2017, 11:24 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
That's a credit to their operations/ business. They didn't always have money. They make a lot of money and lucky for their fans, they reinvest it back into the team. Just like in any business.

If you're talking payroll, Dodgers have Yankees beat by a wide margin for this year. They intend to lower payroll more this offseason to stay under luxury tax penalties. Also there is no correlation with payroll and playoff success. Yankees have not won a title since 2009.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-for-2017/amp/
They've always had more money than anyone else, and by far. And forget about just payroll, its deeper than that. Yankees pay scouts more money, trainers more money, etc... They have more money to access better quality steroids, and have more money to bribe everyone from doping enforcement agencies to youth sports directors. Money and greed is the reason they are a statistical outlier when it comes to success. They are symbolic to the saying that the rich get richer. It is just not a level playing field.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They've always had more money than anyone else, and by far. And forget about just payroll, its deeper than that. Yankees pay scouts more money, trainers more money, etc... They have more money to access better quality steroids, and have more money to bribe everyone from doping enforcement agencies to youth sports directors. Money and greed is the reason they are a statistical outlier when it comes to success. They are symbolic to the saying that the rich get richer. It is just not a level playing field.
Why would there be an even playing field when Yankees take in the most money? So even though they rake in a lot more revenue that the Brewers or Ray's, they should put out the same payroll for the business ?

Again, there is no correlation between payroll and playoff success. Yankees have not won the World Series since 2009, so I'm not sure why you gripe about payrolls. They had their most success when they had their core 4 players (homegrown in Jeter, Mariano, Posada, and Pettitte) . The Astros have the 18th highest payroll and they're in the World Series. Your allegations about steroids/peds is rampant in baseball, always been. Just a matter of getting caught or not.

Last edited by nyccs; 10-26-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 12:04 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Breaking news - Joe Girardi out as manager.
Not surprised, they didn't give Joe any extension before the post season which means he was already playing for his job.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:40 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not surprised, they didn't give Joe any extension before the post season which means he was already playing for his job.
I'm kind of shocked considering how well the Yankees did this season.

I think the owners and Yankee organization had made up its mind prior to the playoff run. I guess 1 World Series in 10 years was not good enough

Old 10-28-2017, 09:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post
I'm kind of shocked considering how well the Yankees did this season.

I think the owners and Yankee organization had made up its mind prior to the playoff run. I guess 1 World Series in 10 years was not good enough
nope its not. Joe Girardi did great as a Yankee Manager. The Yankees had a four year slump which forced the organization to rebuild itself. Yankees rebuild itself with new talent such as Judge and Gregorious. I hope Yankees can stay this way for sometime. Last week was an amazing week for NYC sports. I saw folks wearing Giants, Yankees, Knicks and Rangers attire all across the city. NYC is all about professional sports teams. I'm happy the Yankees rebuilt itself, but now with Joe Giradi out of the picture. The Yankees will have to rebuild around a new Manager. As for my other sports teams. I have to watch Knicks rebuild around Porzingis, I have to watch the Giants rebuild around a new coach, and new offensive line. Rangers will head back to the playoffs next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City