Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:41 AM

757 posts, read 1,103,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.
Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? You said you were a hiring coordinator I'm dying to get into that line of work since it goes with my HR background. Any advice you can give me on what skills I should highlight or work on? I still feel like HR/recruiting/talent acquisition is still a big thing here in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 12:05 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? You said you were a hiring coordinator I'm dying to get into that line of work since it goes with my HR background. Any advice you can give me on what skills I should highlight or work on? I still feel like HR/recruiting/talent acquisition is still a big thing here in NYC.
You can pm me if you like. Also i have been doing this line of work for a month now. It is not easy and this draining.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-09-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 11-09-2017, 01:34 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
Getting a job is pretty easy in NYC, it's one of the main reasons a lot of people come here but, getting a place to live? That is nightmarishly difficult.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 29,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Getting a job is pretty easy in NYC, it's one of the main reasons a lot of people come here but, getting a place to live? That is nightmarishly difficult.
Well thank goodness I was able to get an apartment with a roommate in the same building my mom lives in, it's good to know the landlord.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBronxite2 View Post
Well thank goodness I was able to get an apartment with a roommate in the same building my mom lives in, it's good to know the landlord.
Yea, you know a landlord. A lot of people do not. Seriously, in the Army, I have been authorized to Receive AND Distribute automatic weapons witb WAY less laperwork than an NYC rental application. Also, profiling is a very real thing. I live in a Russian area, a 2 bedroom sat unfinished for -4 MONTHS- in Brooklyn!!! Oh but as soon as those chain smoking women with harsh accents come peeking, it gets fixed in 4 days...

Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,439 times
Thank goodness for those chain smoking women with harsh accents that come peeking!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:24 AM

343 posts, read 254,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Thank goodness for those chain smoking women with harsh accents that come peeking!
Got any photos so I can see what these babes look like?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
if everyone had that attitude, non profit would fall off the cliff. Some people out there actually love working in the non profit world. Its not always about the bucks
My experience working in non-profits in the past was generally that those whose motivations were altruistic came from families who subsidized their financial obligations.

Non-profits are extremely profitable for the founders and executive management though. They get paid very well while everyone else gets underpaid and selling the "we don't do this for the money" really helps them get richer.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:59 AM

8 posts, read 29,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
My experience working in non-profits in the past was generally that those whose motivations were altruistic came from families who subsidized their financial obligations.

Non-profits are extremely profitable for the founders and executive management though. They get paid very well while everyone else gets underpaid and selling the "we don't do this for the money" really helps them get richer.
You're right on the money with this statement.

I have seen the payrolls and the budget reports, I know how much all the execs. in my company make annually (including my boss). It's also quite sad to see how much of my colleagues are severely underpaid (some get paid worst than me).

Old 11-10-2017, 11:00 AM

269 posts, read 288,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I work as an hiring Coordinator for thr company I work with. I came across a well talented individual who graduated from Pennsylvania University which is an ivy league school. Even this guy could not find a job and he is willing to do temp. And another who went to Columbia and could she too could not find a job. The Penn state grad graduated with a degree in poltical science, while the Columbia grad graduated on language studies. These degrees are worthless in NYC. I told the Pennsylvania state grad to look at jobs in DC. DC is a better fit for folks who have degrees in poltical science to criminal justice. If not DC check your state Capitol. Language studies? Who is going to hire that. I myself had to build up my skillset in the past year to look more marketable.
Not true. I have a degree in Political Science and have managed to find good jobs in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: