Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 07:57 PM

38 posts, read 70,791 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me how wanting to save your bodies from throwing trash around for 20 years is a bad thing?

I’m gonna tear my shoulders and spine up just so I can say “831 for life!!”. Smart

Old 10-28-2019, 03:37 AM

450 posts, read 475,784 times
You don't have to be on garbage everyday, better work/life schedule, way better union, a little less pay (depends on seniority), better benefits, less stress etc.

If any of you have ever been in a union garage you'd understand. Management runs the majority of places and that's all most of you know so you look up towards them. Not all of us are blessed with no gag reflex and cushy kneepads like Mr.Mike.

Again, not knocking it, but when the majority throw it in there's gotta be reasons behind it.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:04 AM

324 posts, read 530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
You don't have to be on garbage everyday, better work/life schedule, way better union, a little less pay (depends on seniority), better benefits, less stress etc.

If any of you have ever been in a union garage you'd understand. Management runs the majority of places and that's all most of you know so you look up towards them. Not all of us are blessed with no gag reflex and cushy kneepads like Mr.Mike.

Again, not knocking it, but when the majority throw it in there's gotta be reasons behind it.

Absolutely 100% staying a San worker for 20 years is overall a better schedule, better union and less stress no doubt about it. Theres good spots to get in to as well without being a supervisor if you dont wanna deal with garbage everyday. Supervisors dont make that much more money I feel they should make more for the crap they gotta do. Either way, either job is good and u cant go wrong on either one, theres no wrong decision. And you're right it's the most turned down promotion in the city , gotta be a reason why. But to each his own, that's the beautiful thing about the job, U dont need that promotion to live a comfortable life.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:06 AM

73 posts, read 128,069 times
when you're off your 30 days, get ready to bounce.

On a real note, ita been a fun year and change so far, everyone going back to FBF this week be safe.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:29 PM

779 posts, read 1,005,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezloueez View Post
Can someone explain to me how wanting to save your bodies from throwing trash around for 20 years is a bad thing?

I’m gonna tear my shoulders and spine up just so I can say “831 for life!!”. Smart
It's funny, the mentality of not taking the badge is usually guys with around 8+ years on the job, and they have somewhat of a realistic reason. The probies and junior guys get brain washed and start repeating it like parrots, but the circumstance are totally different. Also, I'm starting to believe the guys with time don't want the guys below to leave, affecting the seniority, so they will always talk them out of focusing on bettering themselves, its the same as a junior guy telling a proby to go nights.

When it comes to pension 50% of a supervisor/super salary is higher than a san workers. San worker would have to work about 10 extra years to retire with an equivalent pension as a supervisor and higher. Overall, the more you make, the faster you can pay off a mortgage, finance, safe or pay off kids college loans.

If your goals in life are smaller than the next guys, don't spew irrelevant excuses that don't pertain to you. The san workers in your garage with 10+ years on, have an absolutely different work schedule, routine and overall comfort level.

Many supervisors do very well for themselves, working every opportunity offered, and make more than 97% of san workers. Money that you don't make right now, is money lost, you can't make up for it.

Old 10-28-2019, 02:34 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,488,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Many supervisors do very well for themselves, working every opportunity offered, and make more than 97% of san workers. Money that you don't make right now, is money lost, you can't make up for it.
There is a Supervisor at my garage that works EVERYTHING and brings home more than some Superintendents and Chiefs make every year. No San Worker can touch what this guy makes.

Granted he had no life but he's not married, no kids and his pension is going to be nuts.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:15 PM

450 posts, read 475,784 times
Top supervisors city wide will always out earn any san man but those guys work 16s everyday. No thanks!

Old 10-28-2019, 05:21 PM

512 posts, read 766,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post

100% correctoneverything you stated sir

....outside of the possible physical rigors (assuming one is in shape), being a San Man is the best job and not another job out there can match the lifestyle (especially if you're in a running garage)....

Cant knock someone for attempting a promotion, but cant knock them for tossing it in for not liking it....

as far as those who took the Supervisors test, a few things to ponder....

There are those who signed up for the test with no intention of taking it seriously and were done in less than 10 minutes........i get it....an easy day to get paid

Those who put forth effort without studying, why waste your time complaining a test was hard?

For those who took the time to study and did well, congrats.....if you are at top pay or will reach top pay in the next 18 months, dont waste your time.......again the lifestyle is tough to give up....for those with less than 3 years...tough to pass up the pay.....

Old 10-29-2019, 07:24 AM

38 posts, read 70,791 times
Yea I definitely agree that the San man life is way better in terms of schedule and actual time worked. I have no doubt about that. I don’t knock anyone for wanting to stay a San man for their careers.

But why feel the need to knock the guy who wants to move up? You have your preferences, they have theirs. At the end of the day we are all on the same team and just wanna go the hell home.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:41 AM

111 posts, read 142,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezloueez View Post
Yea I definitely agree that the San man life is way better in terms of schedule and actual time worked. I have no doubt about that. I don’t knock anyone for wanting to stay a San man for their careers.

But why feel the need to knock the guy who wants to move up? You have your preferences, they have theirs. At the end of the day we are all on the same team and just wanna go the hell home.
But we’re not on the same team. Yes we all work for the same department but supervisors are on the management team. They will not hesitate to throw a San Worker under the bus. Do you think a supervisor is going to say no my guys aren’t doing two trucks in the Bronx? Don’t get me wrong some do look out but only to a certain extent. Completely different unions and at the the end of the day 831 must stick together first and foremost. Not taking anything away from those who want to move, you do what you have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City