Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,878,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
can I move in with you?
Haha - that would mean that I have a roommate, we can't have that and Pierrepont7731 would pop a blood vessel - we know how he feels about roommates .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM

1,486 posts, read 996,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The most disturbing of all is the fact that folks will put up with this rather than move out.
I have very bad bad memories of housing projects. There were only a few that stood out as being
palpable but most were nothing more than urinals with doors and windows screwed into place.
My heart goes out only to those living in these deplorable conditions who in no way contribute to the filth.

Some people that live in these places do not have another choice but to live there. When I was in the PJs my building was filled with retired individuals on fixed income. Most were just living off of social security, SSI, or retirement money. Its great that they can only charge 30% of your income cause they can at lease have money to eat. Once I got to know some of them, they were productive parts of the community until something happened in their lives preventing them from working. These were the people wo delivered our mail via USPS, took care of our sick ones in nursing homes, did home health care attendant, Vietnam vet with no family, even they worked at supermarkets. There were those sprinkled in who just collected welfare and popped out a kid every 18 months but the majority were good people...……….until the good ones started dying from health issues or old age, started moving out to affordable housing for 2x and 3x what they were paying or dedicated Senior affordable housing.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:02 PM

34,178 posts, read 47,465,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Some people that live in these places do not have another choice but to live there. When I was in the PJs my building was filled with retired individuals on fixed income. Most were just living off of social security, SSI, or retirement money. Its great that they can only charge 30% of your income cause they can at lease have money to eat. Once I got to know some of them, they were productive parts of the community until something happened in their lives preventing them from working. These were the people wo delivered our mail via USPS, took care of our sick ones in nursing homes, did home health care attendant, Vietnam vet with no family, even they worked at supermarkets. There were those sprinkled in who just collected welfare and popped out a kid every 18 months but the majority were good people...……….until the good ones started dying from health issues or old age, started moving out to affordable housing for 2x and 3x what they were paying or dedicated Senior affordable housing.
It's always ppl not from NYCHA, or not familiar with NYCHA that claim to know it all on here

Most people responding on these topics don't go to the projects

But they know so much

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-01-2018, 01:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 3,948,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
They should drug test NYCHA tenants and include nicotine and alcohol in the drug screenings.
The tenants are allowed to smoke elsewhere, so what would that solve?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM

1,121 posts, read 594,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The tenants are allowed to smoke elsewhere, so what would that solve?
Mike, it has been suggested before, to drug test NYCHA tenants.

The building is not smoking, it is the tenants who are smoking.

The city has also tossed around the idea of drug testing SNAP recipients.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:53 AM

69 posts, read 79,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I find it disturbing. On one hand, I'm all for eliminating smoking as much as possible. On the other hand, I'm disturbed at the way there's more and more intrusion into people's private lives.
Totally agree. It is definitely a way of invading people's privacy and dictating their lives. So far no one is following this rule in Nycha. The halls still smell like weed and cigarettes and people are still smoking both weed and cigarettes in front of the buildings like this rule never happened. I dont think this rule will still stop crackheads from smoking their crack in the buildings too. This no smoking rule for Nycha is a joke. I counted at least over 10 people smoking in front of different buildings and half of them didn't live in the buildings that they was smoking in front of. Have no idea how Housing will enforce this nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If you lived in some NYCHA buildings the smell of cigs will be the least of your worries. Having to go downstairs to haul up water for bathing and to flush the toilet will be more important. There is a NYCHA facility where they have had to do this and of course no one cares about the stress on people's lives.

They don't do this for anyone's health. They do this to direct people about how to live their lives.

Imagine getting the smell of unflushed toilet out of your clothes because your neighbor cannot/will not go down stairs to get water! Or mold because the neighbor's plumbing is shot and the water seeps into your apartment. Or the rats and cockroaches. And the human vermin, like those who think that the stairs are their toilet!

Of all of the priorities at NYCHA this one is # 100, but the "Nazis" (both left and right wing) always have a weird set of priorities.

This is the one of the real problems in Housing. Not smoking. You got alot of people who are over exaggerating saying that the smell lingers and comes in other peoples apartments. That is completely false. The projects dont have vents in the apartments. I lived in housing and nobody smoke has never traveled IN my apartment. I could smell weed in the hallways yes but no smell never traveled in my apartment. I agree with you that this is just some white supremacists trying to force black people out. Pure gentrification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
In my building they do

I would hate to live in your building. Sounds like it's being ran by Neo Nazis and white supremacists who are trying to force black people and low income people out. Wouldn't be surprised if you lived in that building where Kushner is being sued for discriminating against black people

Old 08-02-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
This is the one of the real problems in Housing. Not smoking. You got alot of people who are over exaggerating saying that the smell lingers and comes in other peoples apartments. That is completely false. The projects dont have vents in the apartments. I lived in housing and nobody smoke has never traveled IN my apartment. I could smell weed in the hallways yes but no smell never traveled in my apartment.
This is the truth

I know chainsmokers in NYCHA

Never smelled cigarette smoke outside of their apartment, or the apartment next to them

No vents in the apartments, only in the public hallways

Weed smoke, now that you can smell in the hallway if somebody is really blowing it down

Once again, fake experts on here

Have some Reps.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:50 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,878,941 times
Quote:
Totally agree. It is definitely a way of invading people's privacy and dictating their lives. So far no one is following this rule in Nycha. The halls still smell like weed and cigarettes and people are still smoking both weed and cigarettes in front of the buildings like this rule never happened. I dont think this rule will still stop crackheads from smoking their crack in the buildings too. This no smoking rule for Nycha is a joke. I counted at least over 10 people smoking in front of different buildings and half of them didn't live in the buildings that they was smoking in front of. Have no idea how Housing will enforce this nonsense.

This is the one of the real problems in Housing. Not smoking. You got alot of people who are over exaggerating saying that the smell lingers and comes in other peoples apartments. That is completely false. The projects dont have vents in the apartments. I lived in housing and nobody smoke has never traveled IN my apartment. I could smell weed in the hallways yes but no smell never traveled in my apartment. I agree with you that this is just some white supremacists trying to force black people out. Pure gentrification.

I would hate to live in your building. Sounds like it's being ran by Neo Nazis and white supremacists who are trying to force black people and low income people out. Wouldn't be surprised if you lived in that building where Kushner is being sued for discriminating against black people
The kicker here is that you are wrong but that's ok, I don't care enough to elaborate.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:54 AM

1,486 posts, read 996,633 times
Quote:

As someone who lived in the projects with people who moved in next door where they smoked hookah and weed all the time I can tell you for a fact the smell does leave the apartment and gets in to others and into the clothes.

Cross ventilation.

You see my windows faced the back of the building and doors to the apartments are not sealed with door sweeps or weather stripping. So if I opened my windows there is a strong draft that was sucked under and around the edges of the main door and out my windows. The person who smoked had windows facing the front of the building and when they opened their windows the smell would push out into the hallway through their door. To make it worse the doors to internal staircase never closed properly so they were always cracked open or opened fully which further added cross ventilation as the cool air was sucked up from the door to exit the front of the building and out anyone's apartment who had rear facing windows that were opened on my floor.

I went as far as going to home depot and getting weather stripping to create a seal around the door to the apartment and that helped for the sides and the top but there is not much that can be done about the bottom, all it did was increase the suction coming under the door. And it wasn't just the smoking smell it was everything. We had Africans living on our floor for a while and they use to cook something that smelled like road kill that was left out in the hot sun to rot. Whenever they cooked it they would crack their door a little and the smell would get sucked into everyone's apartment whose windows faced the rear of the building. I would come home from work and all my clothes in the closet would stink of whatever they were cooking., same thing with the person that was constantly smoking.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
We had Africans living on our floor for a while and they use to cook something that smelled like road kill that was left out in the hot sun to rot. Whenever they cooked it they would crack their door a little and the smell would get sucked into everyone's apartment whose windows faced the rear of the building. I would come home from work and all my clothes in the closet would stink of whatever they were cooking., same thing with the person that was constantly smoking.
Why not ban that too

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City