Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:43 AM

34,178 posts, read 47,465,420 times

Advertisements

What about incense, is incense banned too?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/n...dept-says.html

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 AM

1,121 posts, read 594,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerezz7 View Post
This is the one of the real problems in Housing. Not smoking. You got alot of people who are over exaggerating saying that the smell lingers and comes in other peoples apartments. That is completely false. The projects dont have vents in the apartments. I lived in housing and nobody smoke has never traveled IN my apartment. I could smell weed in the hallways yes but no smell never traveled in my apartment.
I will rep you for this post however, what is coming soon with these smoking bans are not going to be limited to just the projects. I mean look at how much smoking laws have changed over the years on the streets, outside restaurants, inside bars, etc.. Personally I have never lived in a project building but I have been a resident at 8 different addresses in NYC and the only time I had a problem with pot smoke in the unit where I resided was when the room mate was a heavy smoker inside our unit. The dude would just leave dirty ash trays with half smoked blunts in the living areas and it was not cool.

Roof tops are good places for smokers to go, I believe. Back in the day I used to smoke up on the roofs too because it is out of site and the smell is not bothering anyone.

Then you go with this rant "I agree with you that this is just some white supremacists trying to force black people out. Pure gentrification.". You are losing points with me with that comment but I fully understand the frustrations and anger from this. It is warped thinking.

Aside from your views on gentrification, most building owners do not wake up one morning and say "I'm going to gentrify my building and force all the colored people out". Nah, professional building owners wake up and realize that if their building is optimized to it's fullest potential, then they meet their financial goals.

A healthy building is a wealthy building.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What about incense, is incense banned too?
In my opinion, it should include any smoke including candles.

It should include scentless and flavored smoke, too.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:35 AM

1,486 posts, read 996,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
In my opinion, it should include any smoke including candles.

It should include scentless and flavored smoke, too.
I agree with this. If they are in NYCHA that means they cannot afford market rate rent so they should not have the "throw away cash" to buy smoking materials. Also when they leave that apartment its very expensive to get that smell out or the stickiness off the walls.

Same with pets, I don't know how someone can live in NYCHA and have 3 dogs. Where are they getting the money from to take care of 3 pets?

Old 08-04-2018, 07:42 AM

16,180 posts, read 6,932,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
They should drug test NYCHA tenants and include nicotine and alcohol in the drug screenings.

Great observation.
I discussed this over 20 years ago.
I stated that all applicants subjected to
a complete yearly medical physical.
If drugs are found application is denied.

Leave the housing to the poorest and most deserving
not the laziest ,uninspired and lacking in motivation.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,789,591 times
I always thought the point of NYCHA was more like a shelter not a permanent solution for people. You're supposed to save money in order to work your way out of it. But people seem to keep their bad habits and reason they stay in the system because they didn't need to improve their life. The projects during the 90s created breeding grounds for drug users and the same scenario will play out. Eventually people who don't pay any rent any get all these freebies from the government will take their cash and use towards recreational stuff and that's how they mess up the whole environment around them.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:37 PM

1,486 posts, read 996,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always thought the point of NYCHA was more like a shelter not a permanent solution for people. You're supposed to save money in order to work your way out of it. But people seem to keep their bad habits and reason they stay in the system because they didn't need to improve their life. The projects during the 90s created breeding grounds for drug users and the same scenario will play out. Eventually people who don't pay any rent any get all these freebies from the government will take their cash and use towards recreational stuff and that's how they mess up the whole environment around them.

Wait...
Have you ever lived in NYCHA?
Do you know first hand of who lives in there?
Do you really believe NYCHA in the 90's created breeding grounds for drug users?

Many that end up in NYCHA are there because they are in a situation where they don't make enough money to sustain their living. These are elderly on fixed income like disability or SSI. You really cant expect someone who doesn't have an income to save and move out. not all are lucky. The bad ones that are sprinkled in does not represent NYCHA tenants as a whole.

Yes NYCHA may have some people that smoke weed and sniff stuff but its no different that the Wall Street Exe sniffing stuff in the bathroom stall during work hours or the drugged out mom on UWS abusing prescription pills. High quality drugs do not come through the hood...People are forcing more eyes on the minorities saying they are the problem the rob, deal drugs, do drugs, and they are leeching off others but no one is looking at the ones embezzling money while making 6 figures because of greed, the ones who would cut 1/3rd of their work force just so they can get a nice bonus for showing profit. No one is looking out in Suffolk County where you don't have to go get your illegal drugs they are delivered to your door by the local dealer...

Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,614,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Wait...
Have you ever lived in NYCHA?
Do you know first hand of who lives in there?
Do you really believe NYCHA in the 90's created breeding grounds for drug users?

Many that end up in NYCHA are there because they are in a situation where they don't make enough money to sustain their living. These are elderly on fixed income like disability or SSI. ..
Most NYCHA residents are not elderly.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
NYCHA may have some people that smoke weed and sniff stuff but its no different that the Wall Street Exe sniffing stuff in the bathroom stall during work hours or the drugged out mom on UWS abusing prescription pills.

Actually the difference is huge, because people working on Wall Street and moms living on the Upper West Side, both have money!

Wealthy people can afford to have bad habits, and they pay for their own drugs. With NYCHA tenants, those folks are being supported by the City and by welfare.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Many that end up in NYCHA are there because they are in a situation where they don't make enough money to sustain their living.
Here is a big sweeping generalization that does not apply to all living in NYCHA properties: Most people that are in there, use and abuse drugs and they smoke and drink, they eat junk food, and waste what little money they receive.

Have you ever learned of a drug user (with kids) who lives in NYCHA buildings, exchange their family food stamps for cash to buy crack, and booze, cigarettes, and pot? This is very common to swap out their food stamps for a lesser amount of cash.

A lot of people in NYCHA buildings abuse the system and they abuse drugs, alcohol, and many of them smoke too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City