Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
In my opinion its a myth that the south offers better employment opportunities for African Americans. In what jobs exactly? Chick-Fil-A?

I still think a black banker has more opportunities to succeed in NYC than any place in the south. For the record there are many African American single people who move to cities like NYC, DC, LA and San Fran for opportunities especially if its in Fashion, Tech and Finance.
I'm not saying that you are. I don't mean to offend you. But you sound like a elitist bubble head. But then again elitist bubble heads are far acceptable on today's society than a racist or a sexist. Which might be a good thing in the eyes of the social aware toxic woke folks.

Charlotte is home to banking and finance. Than you have Raleigh which has health research industry. Atlanta is booming city and one of the largest employers delta employs plenty black Americans. The funny thing is that when I last ate chick Fila in NC last year, the restaurant was mostly staffed by whites.

I remember a story from this old black American I used to know. He passed on. He said the greatest mistake his family made was moving North. His family on the Carolinas had to deal with Jim crow. All the sudden. All the factory jobs in the north moved down south. His family in the south begins to prosper and move back up into the middle class while the family that moved to nyc ended up living in nycha generational poverty. It's alway great to listen to old folks.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:20 AM

47 posts, read 55,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher. It seems to me that the overwhelming majority of Blacks in NYC are West Indians (Caribbeans), like 90% or more.

African-Americans who were educated or just had a good head on their shoulder started leaving with their families in droves in the late 1990s and early 2000s. A smart financial move because NYC rents have increased by 50% since then. They went to southern states primarily where home ownership was affordable. Outside of southern states, I have quite a few personal friends (married couples, two generation families, a divorcee, etc.) who have moved to states like NM, AZ, PA, and Delaware. I've lived in numerous states due to work (currently out of NY state now) but these places never feel like home even though the cost of living is 100x better and it's less stressful. However, even saying all of that, only NYC feels like home to me so I come back for short visits as often as my schedule allows.
The number represents NYC Metro area,which is NYC, Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Dutchess, orange, L.I. and N. Jersey, CT

Last edited by Jasminehicks2020; 09-17-2018 at 12:51 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 AM

47 posts, read 55,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
In my opinion its a myth that the south offers better employment opportunities for African Americans. In what jobs exactly? Chick-Fil-A?

I still think a black banker has more opportunities to succeed in NYC than any place in the south. For the record there are many African American single people who move to cities like NYC, DC, LA and San Fran for opportunities especially if its in Fashion, Tech and Finance.
Best industry for black americans is the federal government

Old 09-17-2018, 01:18 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm not saying that you are. I don't mean to offend you. But you sound like a elitist bubble head. But then again elitist bubble heads are far acceptable on today's society than a racist or a sexist. Which might be a good thing in the eyes of the social aware toxic woke folks.

Charlotte is home to banking and finance. Than you have Raleigh which has health research industry. Atlanta is booming city and one of the largest employers delta employs plenty black Americans. The funny thing is that when I last ate chick Fila in NC last year, the restaurant was mostly staffed by whites.

I remember a story from this old black American I used to know. He passed on. He said the greatest mistake his family made was moving North. His family on the Carolinas had to deal with Jim crow. All the sudden. All the factory jobs in the north moved down south. His family in the south begins to prosper and move back up into the middle class while the family that moved to nyc ended up living in nycha generational poverty. It's alway great to listen to old folks.
Read the book "Tbe Warmth of Other Suns " by Isabel Wilkerson. I gave this book to a coworker who retired to South Carolina. where her parents were born. The great migration of blacks to the North was a larger migration then any in th3 US by any particular group. You would be underestimating the brutality of Jim Crow, as would that old man you spoke of. There were six million people who left to move North. In such migrations you will have winners and losers. You will have factors that change. What was true once will no longer be true. The old man you spoke of may have been guilty of " The fallacy of the predetermined outcome ". If blacks had not moved in large numbers, those who remained behind would never have seen their positions improve in the south ? Remember in the US there are millions of poor whites. Poor whites who have been poor for many generations. Heck, some might be wondering if their people had just stayed in Ireland or England they would be enjoying subsidized health care and living better then they are in the US now. Yet, perhaps they would not even be alive today as an ancestor or two would have died of poverty, who knows. The old man made an interesting point but doesn't mean the outcome is he .mentioned was predetermined. Read the book.

Last edited by bxlover; 09-17-2018 at 02:02 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

There you go again insulting people who disagree with you,why do you do that ?
Then you generalise a group you don't agree with " Elitist " in this case, which you falsely equate with racists and sexists "

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are arguing that everyone should be treated fairly. Your arguing that there is a ultra PC environment that does not allow men and whites to speak for fear of being cast as offensive. If that is the case your making you can indeed make it and have lots of merit. I would certainly agree with that statement.
Everyone who has read Malcolm X or Dubois is aware of the hypocrisy of the liberal who would speak about helping but would not do a thing to help. I know I get that.
the Me 2 movement has certainly exposed " liberal men " who spoke of accepting woman publicly and secretly harassed them. Got it, that is certainly true.

However, ( fathom this ) it is not a true equivalent to compare feminists, and hypocritical PC police, with avowed racists, who are out to hurt and kill.

I am certainly in favor of allowing all groups of people to speak and be heard, including racists, and all kinds of political positions. Yet, don't throw every position as morally equal. Which is what you do apparently all the time. I could be wrong.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminehicks2020 View Post
From what I see, lots of West Indians and Guyanese also work for City, State, and Federal govt's. An other large segment in nursing homes and hospital fields.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
I know that. But they idebtify with Caribbean culture. They ain't no Peruvians
That part of South America is interesting Guyana. You have a region in Soutb America witb French Guyana, Belize, formerly Dutch Guyana, English Guyana, and a region in Brazil named tbat. They are indeed South Americans. Well like in tbe Caribean and West Indies. Puerto Ricans are just as much Caribean and West Indian as a Jamaican. When back home in tbe Caribean a Jamaican will never call a Puerto Rican any tbing other then a fellow Caribean people. Just in NY,lol will an artificial diference be perceived. Guyana is not South American by FIFA soccer either. Guyana is in CONCACAF not in competetion with South American teams. Also Guyana leads tbe world in suicide or has very often. I was engaged to a Guyanese girl, hence my somewhat odd collection of their details.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:54 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminehicks2020 View Post

Maybe, but then again maybe not.

Federal and local governments have been shedding jobs ever since the last "great recession" of 2008 (or whatever) if not before. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/m...t-jobs-go.html

White/European descent Americans long valued federal and local government jobs as a way to move into middle class; but they also largely in past few decades moved away from such jobs into other areas, especially those requiring higher education/college degrees.

AAs once thought those hard to get factory/union, government, etc... jobs were keys to middle class life; so once "in" (thanks to various civil rights and or anti discrimination actions opened the gates), they remained. Whites again largely moved on, so when governments start cutting back...

https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/06/07/...more-and-less/

The USPS is an example of this; in some areas minority employees now largely dominate. But the pay isn't what it could be and changes in workforce are making it not the once attractive job once was.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_2514917.html

There was a time when the non-uniformed NYC civil service was dominated by white/European descent. These are all those low paying clerk, assistant, and so forth jobs that barely pay more than minimum wage. Now they are mostly minorities as whites can't be bothered.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Federal and local governments have been shedding jobs ever since the last "great recession" of 2008 (or whatever) if not before. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/m...t-jobs-go.html

White/European descent Americans long valued federal and local government jobs as a way to move into middle class; but they also largely in past few decades moved away from such jobs into other areas, especially those requiring higher education/college degrees.

AAs once thought those hard to get factory/union, government, etc... jobs were keys to middle class life; so once "in" (thanks to various civil rights and or anti discrimination actions opened the gates), they remained. Whites again largely moved on, so when governments start cutting back...

The USPS is an example of this; in some areas minority employees now largely dominate. But the pay isn't what it could be and changes in workforce are making it not the once attractive job once was.

There was a time when the non-uniformed NYC civil service was dominated by white/European descent. These are all those low paying clerk, assistant, and so forth jobs that barely pay more than minimum wage. Now they are mostly minorities as whites can't be bothered.
Could be wrong but I dont think they meant best, as ideal. Just a field where advancement and abality to transfer down South with. Like you pointed out Whites dont pursue work in govt jobs as they once did. Yet, the fact that they once did and no longer deem that type of employment is the discretion which other groups aspire to now.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

NYC also had the white flight issue, as the white working to middle classes fled big parts of the city. And of course gentrifiers aren't going to be interested in civil service.

Those jobs though still have lots of vacation, it's very hard to fire someone, and they have pensions which are extremely rare in the US these days. Definitely for people without a college degree civil service is likely the best. Keep in mind private sector jobs for people without college degrees have no job stability, often no benefits these days, etc.

People who work for the post office and other civil servants are able to buy homes and cars. So working in these jobs may be pretty good even for people with degrees. Not everyone is interested in working 80 hours on Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City