Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC also had the white flight issue, as the white working to middle classes fled big parts of the city. And of course gentrifiers aren't going to be interested in civil service.

Those jobs though still have lots of vacation, it's very hard to fire someone, and they have pensions which are extremely rare in the US these days. Definitely for people without a college degree civil service is likely the best. Keep in mind private sector jobs for people without college degrees have no job stability, often no benefits these days, etc.

People who work for the post office and other civil servants are able to buy homes and cars. So working in these jobs may be pretty good even for people with degrees. Not everyone is interested in working 80 hours on Wall Street.

However!

Plenty of NYCHA housing is full of NYC municipal employees. City also forces developers to carve out set asides for "municipal employees" in those low income/affordable housing lotteries. Thus obviously not ever NYC civil servant is making anywhere near bank.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
However!

Plenty of NYCHA housing is full of NYC municipal employees. City also forces developers to carve out set asides for "municipal employees" in those low income/affordable housing lotteries. Thus obviously not ever NYC civil servant is making anywhere near bank.
Though NYCHA is not a good indicator, as once people move in NYCHA will not make them leave. Someone as the years go by could go from making 20k to 70k (it's easy to take evening classes at CUNY and get your degree and even masters if you want to) and still be living in NYCHA, and there are people who have used this to buy homes elsewhere.

The affordable housing lotteries can be for people making 50k-100k depending on the lottery. Terrible indicator too.

Old 09-17-2018, 05:47 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,981,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Read the book "Tbe Warmth of Other Suns " by Isabel Wilkerson. I gave this book to a coworker who retired to South Carolina. where her parents were born. The great migration of blacks to the North was a larger migration then any in th3 US by any particular group. You would be underestimating the brutality of Jim Crow, as would that old man you spoke of. There were six million people who left to move North. In such migrations you will have winners and losers. You will have factors that change. What was true once will no longer be true. The old man you spoke of may have been guilty of " The fallacy of the predetermined outcome ". If blacks had not moved in large numbers, those who remained behind would never have seen their positions improve in the south ? Remember in the US there are millions of poor whites. Poor whites who have been poor for many generations. Heck, some might be wondering if their people had just stayed in Ireland or England they would be enjoying subsidized health care and living better then they are in the US now. Yet, perhaps they would not even be alive today as an ancestor or two would have died of poverty, who knows. The old man made an interesting point but doesn't mean the outcome is he .mentioned was predetermined. Read the book.
I view history realistically, often clashing with my less educated family members over our bloodline's past.

Too many people cannot understand the concept of separating the present from the historical realities which created it. They view history as "predetermined" because it is the easy route. A great example is the American Revolution. Very few people fully grasp how by all accounts, "we" actually lost. They also fail to grasp how much time passed between the 1776 and 1787 when the Constitution was signed.

Back to my example, a good portion of my bloodline arrived here after a harrowing flight from the Armenian Genocide. Family members were slaughtered right up until the survivors managed to secure passage to Greece on a smuggler's boat. How does one rectify that with the lives we now live due to our ancestors' horrible experience? I certainly benefitted from that horrible historical event. Or more recently (and much less historical), my grandfather was extremely close to moving the family to California not long before my father was born. His sister and brother both moved there and were the only family he had. Thankfully he stayed, my father was born and eventually a family friend convinced him to buy a vacation home in NJ which is how my parents met.

Rather than being predetermined, our existence is actually the culmination of millions of decisions made by the people before us that could have been wiped out by one minor divergent path.

How many of us exist today because of an actual "wrong turn" while driving or a missed bus? MY first marriage all started with a friend missing a turn, thereby dropping me off at the wrong train station, where I met my eventual wife standing on the platform (wrong turn indeed lol).

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-17-2018, 05:57 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,601,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I view history realistically, often clashing with my less educated family members over our bloodline's past.

Too many people cannot understand the concept of separating the present from the historical realities which created it. They view history as "predetermined" because it is the easy route. A great example is the American Revolution. Very few people fully grasp how by all accounts, "we" actually lost. They also fail to grasp how much time passed between the 1776 and 1787 when the Constitution was signed.

Back to my example, a good portion of my bloodline arrived here after a harrowing flight from the Armenian Genocide. Family members were slaughtered right up until the survivors managed to secure passage to Greece on a smuggler's boat. How does one rectify that with the lives we now live due to our ancestors' horrible experience? I certainly benefitted from that horrible historical event. Or more recently (and much less historical), my grandfather was extremely close to moving the family to California not long before my father was born. His sister and brother both moved there and were the only family he had. Thankfully he stayed, my father was born and eventually a family friend convinced him to buy a vacation home in NJ which is how my parents met.

Rather than being predetermined, our existence is actually the culmination of millions of decisions made by the people before us that could have been wiped out by one minor divergent path.

How many of us exist today because of an actual "wrong turn" while driving or a missed bus? MY first marriage all started with a friend missing a turn, thereby dropping me off at the wrong train station, where I met my eventual wife standing on the platform (wrong turn indeed lol).
Life is a product of so many random and planned actions. So many factors face us daily. I am grateful for what I have. I am relatively healthy due to genetics, I am lucky to have been born in this time period, and I avoided a bad choice here, made a right choice there, met my wife, and despite certain mistakes, my life is great. My parents tought me right, but I cant say I picked them. They adopted me. Had I not been adopted would I be in jail or dead ? Thats why I preach humility and gratitude. One mistep in our past could have completly rewritten our lives.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
I'm not saying that you are. I don't mean to offend you. But you sound like a elitist bubble head. But then again elitist bubble heads are far acceptable on today's society than a racist or a sexist. Which might be a good thing in the eyes of the social aware toxic woke folks.

There you go again insulting people who disagree with you,why do you do that ?
Then you generalise a group you don't agree with " Elitist " in this case, which you falsely equate with racists and sexists "

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are arguing that everyone should be treated fairly. Your arguing that there is a ultra PC environment that does not allow men and whites to speak for fear of being cast as offensive. If that is the case your making you can indeed make it and have lots of merit. I would certainly agree with that statement.
Everyone who has read Malcolm X or Dubois is aware of the hypocrisy of the liberal who would speak about helping but would not do a thing to help. I know I get that.
the Me 2 movement has certainly exposed " liberal men " who spoke of accepting woman publicly and secretly harassed them. Got it, that is certainly true.

However, ( fathom this ) it is not a true equivalent to compare feminists, and hypocritical PC police, with avowed racists, who are out to hurt and kill.

I am certainly in favor of allowing all groups of people to speak and be heard, including racists, and all kinds of political positions. Yet, don't throw every position as morally equal. Which is what you do apparently all the time. I could be wrong.
You probably are wrong!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:02 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
That part of South America is interesting Guyana. You have a region in Soutb America witb French Guyana, Belize, formerly Dutch Guyana, English Guyana, and a region in Brazil named tbat. They are indeed South Americans. Well like in tbe Caribean and West Indies. Puerto Ricans are just as much Caribean and West Indian as a Jamaican. When back home in tbe Caribean a Jamaican will never call a Puerto Rican any tbing other then a fellow Caribean people. Just in NY,lol will an artificial diference be perceived. Guyana is not South American by FIFA soccer either. Guyana is in CONCACAF not in competetion with South American teams. Also Guyana leads tbe world in suicide or has very often. I was engaged to a Guyanese girl, hence my somewhat odd collection of their details.
Belize is not in South America, Belize is next to Mexico and Guatemala. Brazil does not have a region named Guyana. Brazil region of Guyana is known as Amapa, Rohoiama. Guyana playing in CONACAF is silly. Guyana can learn a huge form of game by playing with CONMEBOL which all together have 9 FIFA world titles. Surprisngly in the FIFA World Cup, most Guyanese cheer for Brazil. Yes Guyana has high rate of suicide. Guyana needs to work on mental health. Guyanese with mental health issues would go to Cuba for free treatment. Guyana does not lead the world in suicide but it is up there in the top 10s. When people think about Guyana and suicide, everyone thinks of Jim Jones where 900 Americans killed themselves forcefully.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Belize is not in South America, Belize is next to Mexico and Guatemala. Brazil does not have a region named Guyana. Brazil region of Guyana is known as Amapa, Rohoiama. Guyana playing in CONACAF is silly. Guyana can learn a huge form of game by playing with CONMEBOL which all together have 9 FIFA world titles. Surprisngly in the FIFA World Cup, most Guyanese cheer for Brazil. Yes Guyana has high rate of suicide. Guyana needs to work on mental health. Guyanese with mental health issues would go to Cuba for free treatment. Guyana does not lead the world in suicide but it is up there in the top 10s. When people think about Guyana and suicide, everyone thinks of Jim Jones where 900 Americans killed themselves forcefully.
I meant Suriname, Dutch Guyana.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I think of pretty woman, great food, polite people.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You probably are wrong!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guianas

About many things, yes. About a false equivalency, not at all.

Last edited by bxlover; 09-17-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 AM

wiki/Dutch_colonisation_of_the_Guianas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City