Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area of NYC would you consider if you didn't want to live in NYC for whatever reason?
NE Jersey: Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Somerset, Middlesex, & Monmouth County 20 32.26%
Hudson Valley: Rockland & Westchester County 29 46.77%
Long Island: Nassau & Suffolk County 11 17.74%
SW Connecticut: Fairfield & New Haven County 6 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 09:10 AM

362 posts, read 497,920 times

Advertisements

Happy Friday everybody,

So I want to see if I can get some thoughts on this.

I'm currently working in Manhattan, and most likely will be until I can retire. Living in Hudson County, NJ now and thinking about where I want to eventually plant roots. I don't need to live in NYC really...as long as I have good access to the city and enough options around me, then I'm straight.

Since I grew up on Long Island, I already been there and done that, so I really don't have a desire to go back there to live. I personally have my eye on being either west of the city (NE Jersey) or north of the city (Hudson Valley or SW Connecticut). As it stands, I feel like I have the most options for myself in Jersey - but things can change. I want to see which area you guys think is set up for the short term and the long term.

Obviously, living in the NYC area is expensive and can be draining sometimes. But if you chose to live outside the city, which area do you feel you can thrive in the most, and why? Considering things like cost of living, quality of life, property taxes, public transportation into NYC, diversity, interactions with people, things to do, and the region's financial stability...what area would you target?

I know some people are going to have their own definitions of what exact counties make up these areas, but I'm giving my specific definitions because these are the counties that I would consider. Even though I took Long Island out of the running for me, I added it for you guys in case it's on your radar. Here it goes:

NE Jersey: Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Essex, Union, Somerset, Middlesex, and Monmouth Counties
Hudson Valley: Rockland and Westchester Counties
Long Island: Nassau and Suffolk Counties
SW Connecticut: Fairfield and New Haven Counties

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Hudson Valley (more so Westchester) for me. The taxes really really REALLY suck, but:

It has amazing Metro North access which I greatly prefer over NJTransit and LIRR. Westchester much moreso of course, Rockland/Orange County requires a transfer at Secaucus Junction or Hoboken which is a pita every time I've gone to Middletown, plus those lines don't run as often which really really sucks.

I like the 'downtown' or 'Main St' corridors of Westchester more (I've enjoyed my time in Nyack, NY too). I have some feeling it's because my friends in Westchester and CT hang 'out' (aka not at home) more than my NJ and LI counterparts or possibly even the people, but the design of Westchester towns just seems to be better urban wise.

Easier to get to places I'd vacation to in the US aka Boston, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. This is somewhat invalidated by the fact that I don't drive and would probably fly anyways. Still, the terrain of Westchester/Rockland County I greatly prefer.

Obviously, I'm biased for my own reasons. I didn't include reasons (schools for instance) that I feel like all areas have or are arbitrary, depending on where of course (Scarsdale v Yonkers, Garden City v Hempstead, etc).

Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM

362 posts, read 497,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Hudson Valley (more so Westchester) for me. The taxes really really REALLY suck, but:

It has amazing Metro North access which I greatly prefer over NJTransit and LIRR. Westchester much moreso of course, Rockland/Orange County requires a transfer at Secaucus Junction or Hoboken which is a pita every time I've gone to Middletown, plus those lines don't run as often which really really sucks.

I like the 'downtown' or 'Main St' corridors of Westchester more (I've enjoyed my time in Nyack, NY too). I have some feeling it's because my friends in Westchester and CT hang 'out' (aka not at home) more than my NJ and LI counterparts or possibly even the people, but the design of Westchester towns just seems to be better urban wise.

Easier to get to places I'd vacation to in the US aka Boston, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. This is somewhat invalidated by the fact that I don't drive and would probably fly anyways. Still, the terrain of Westchester/Rockland County I greatly prefer.

Obviously, I'm biased for my own reasons. I didn't include reasons (schools for instance) that I feel like all areas have or are arbitrary, depending on where of course (Scarsdale v Yonkers, Garden City v Hempstead, etc).
I hear ya. I like coming into Grand Central instead of Penn Station or Port Authority. I never took a bus into the GWB Bus Terminal though, so I'm not sure what that experience is like. NJ Transit trains have their own issues, plus we have to worry about those tunnels and when/if they will be replaced. Also, PATH trains seem to get more and more crowded all the time. Might be worth it to take the bus in from Jersey anyways. Coming from Westchester/Fairfield, it is nice taking the train to GCT.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 PM

106 posts, read 60,760 times
Westchester and South CT of course.

Long Island? What is that?

Old 03-01-2019, 03:35 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,724 times
South Connecticut

Old 03-01-2019, 03:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Suffolk County. But try to go further east like Brookhaven Township where you got all the beaches, farms, and nature.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:04 PM

268 posts, read 239,885 times
I don't like suburbs but if I had to move and stay in the NYC areas, I would choose Bronxville. The schools are great, the housing stock is attractive and the commute is about as short as you can get.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:09 PM

313 posts, read 212,758 times
I don't like suburbs either but if I had to choose it would be Hudson or Bergen counties because it's not really a suburb when it's extremely dense and urban also the PATH train in Hudson county. Second I'd choose Long Island specifically Nassau County because LIRR runs 24/7 to the city.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:49 PM

7,354 posts, read 4,138,516 times
I love northern Westchester. The food situation is amazing. Helmlock Hill Farms for my free range meats and Stuarts Farms for vegetables, peaches and apples. Grand Central is great. Trains are very reliable.

Yorktown is lovely but it is boring. We have a few Italian restaurants, none particularly good, one Indian, one Greek and two lousy Chinese restaurants. Nearby Peekskill has very good restaurants. Mount Kisco has L'Anjou Bakery and a variety of good restaurants. Except for Caramoor and Jacob Burns Film Center, I am not sure if there is any nightlife in Westchester.

Honestly, my husband and I are looking at retirement. New York state does not tax social security but taxes IRA withdrawals. NY isn't nearly as bad as CT. CT property taxes are better, nearly half, but you'll have to move out before retirement

When we figured how much the Federal Government takes from IRA withdrawals, then add state and property taxes, we started to look out of state. Maine, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Florida are significantly financially better.

It all depends on how much money you have to spend.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM

270 posts, read 145,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I love northern Westchester. The food situation is amazing. Helmlock Hill Farms for my free range meats and Stuarts Farms for vegetables, peaches and apples. Grand Central is great. Trains are very reliable.

Yorktown is lovely but it is boring. We have a few Italian restaurants, none particularly good, one Indian, one Greek and two lousy Chinese restaurants. Nearby Peekskill has very good restaurants. Mount Kisco has L'Anjou Bakery and a variety of good restaurants. Except for Caramoor and Jacob Burns Film Center, I am not sure if there is any nightlife in Westchester.

Honestly, my husband and I are looking at retirement. New York state does not tax social security but taxes IRA withdrawals. NY isn't nearly as bad as CT. CT property taxes are better, nearly half, but you'll have to move out before retirement

When we figured how much the Federal Government takes from IRA withdrawals, then add state and property taxes, we started to look out of state. Maine, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Florida are significantly financially better.

It all depends on how much money you have to spend.
Unlike most others who flock sourh upon retirement, I'm headed north...way north. Maine sounds ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City