Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:41 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,314,314 times

Advertisements

I be curious why not just install turnstiles on the backdoor of the buses, allowing those with metrocards in. And people to exit as well. Bus turnstiles are almost impossible to jump or bypass compared to subway turnstiles due to the height of the bus.
Turnstiles can also be locked at a touch of a button to prevent attackers/robbers from storming onto a bus as well this is done in some parts of the world.

One of the main issues of NYC bus system I just don’t understand why is they only accept coins, and no dollar bills, I mean just how many people carry $2.75 worth of coins when traveling these days. It’s very hard to count that many coins in the first place not to mention heavy on the wallet. I guess they never bothered to change their way of fare collection that must had been in place back when each ride was less than one dollar. I am that’s one big part of the problem as many people in the city are in quite a hurry to get where they need to go. I bet this is the reason why bus drivers may turn the other way as they rather stay on schedule than count the exact number of coins each rider deposits in the farebox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 03:09 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I be curious why not just install turnstiles on the backdoor of the buses, allowing those with metrocards in. And people to exit as well. Bus turnstiles are almost impossible to jump or bypass compared to subway turnstiles due to the height of the bus.
Turnstiles can also be locked at a touch of a button to prevent attackers/robbers from storming onto a bus as well this is done in some parts of the world.

One of the main issues of NYC bus system I just don’t understand why is they only accept coins, and no dollar bills, I mean just how many people carry $2.75 worth of coins when traveling these days. It’s very hard to count that many coins in the first place not to mention heavy on the wallet. I guess they never bothered to change their way of fare collection that must had been in place back when each ride was less than one dollar. I am that’s one big part of the problem as many people in the city are in quite a hurry to get where they need to go. I bet this is the reason why bus drivers may turn the other way as they rather stay on schedule than count the exact number of coins each rider deposits in the farebox.

For the love of God no! It's bad enough standing behind some luddite or old geezer counting out $2.75 or whatever to pay their fare; do you have any idea how fussy bill taking machines can be?

Depending upon how sensitive some machines won't take old bills, crumpled bills, bills with missing corners, new bills, too crisp bills, and so it goes.

So now instead of standing behind someone who cannot get their act together and insert Metro Card properly, will be stuck behind another fresh hell.

Just get rid of coins and cash period; NYC transit is so far behind many other major cities in USA and world it isn't funny.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 AM

1,486 posts, read 990,344 times
Funny story. My EZpay card stopped reading yesterday. So I used my backup regular metrocard to take the express bus. The machine took the metrocard and didn't return it. The card got stuck in the machine. I was at 161st and Melrose. Nearest train station to get a metrocard was either 3rd avenue or yankee stadium.

So I had to take an Uber to the train station, to get a new card. Called MTA to tell them my card got stuck in the machine and im requesting a replacement with the remaining balance and the have the nerve to ask me what was the numbers on the back of the card.

I know there was more than $20 on that card and now its gone and have to buy another metrocard until they ship out a replacement EZpay card that will get to me in 7 to 10 days. yea....

Old 04-23-2019, 02:26 PM

155 posts, read 121,208 times
I guess it is happening after all?

I boarded the Bx5 bus this morning towards Hunts Point Av. The bus was not crowded, which is very unusual for a Tuesday morning at 7 AM. Are kids out of school? Anyway... It was empty enough for me to notice a white man standing in the accordion section of the bus when there were plenty of seats. I didn't think anything of it.

When we pulled at the following stop, three women got on the bus through the back door.

Before they even had a chance to sit, the man who was standing, and two other men who were sitting approached the women and asked them to get off the bus. Then they flashed their badges at them and motioned for them to get off the bus.

Glad to see something is happening.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:51 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post

I boarded the Bx5 bus this morning towards Hunts Point Av. The bus was not crowded, which is very unusual for a Tuesday morning at 7 AM. Are kids out of school? Anyway... It was empty enough for me to notice a white man standing in the accordion section of the bus when there were plenty of seats. I didn't think anything of it.

When we pulled at the following stop, three women got on the bus through the back door.

Before they even had a chance to sit, the man who was standing, and two other men who were sitting approached the women and asked them to get off the bus. Then they flashed their badges at them and motioned for them to get off the bus.

Yes, until the 26th for Spring Recess.

Passover and Easter were at same time this year with the latter ending on Friday. Everybody goes back on Monday.

As for balance of your post, good and about time.

Have noticed more LE presence at 33rd past few weeks when getting on/catching the "Q". But then again there is always something going on at that station so who knows.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post

Great!!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:17 AM

8 posts, read 17,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Does every thread have to degenerate into straight-up racism?
all roads on this thread lead to race relations. People are obsessed with it here. Cringe anytime someone types "SJW".

Old 04-25-2019, 10:43 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneGreen View Post
all roads on this thread lead to race relations. People are obsessed with it here. Cringe anytime someone types "SJW".
People need to pat themselves on the back for a deed well done. *Sarcasm*

Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,738,515 times
One of the problems with policing farebeating is that it catches up a wide range of people, from broke 15-year-olds being dumb to hardened DGAF adult scammers. Hard to calibrate something that doesn't mess up the life of a dumb teenager being dumb (I don't want to hear the people claiming that they didn't do anything wrong/stupid when they were that age, because it'll be a lie) but is enough to deter Joe Scammer. Hopefully Fair Fares will cut down on farebeating somewhat, as it will be easier for kids to get MetroCards.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM

106 posts, read 60,824 times
The MTA should get their **** together and provide better service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City