Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:22 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Real Feel today, Sunday, will be 102F. I think it will be Netflix streaming all afternoon with the Fedder/Airtemp humming away. I am watching BAD EDUCATION starring Jack Whitehall, zany British sit-com.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow morning in the West Village. Likely cooler with an umbrella handy. I DESPISE going to the doctor.
I'm with you. I avoid doctors whenever possible, although a few years ago doing so landed me in a somewhat precarious position, so now I see that one. Fortunately, the problem was treatable. Have to get blood tests this week and see the doc on Friday.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:22 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
Real Feel today, Sunday, will be 102F. I think it will be Netflix streaming all afternoon with the Fedder/Airtemp humming away. I am watching BAD EDUCATION starring Jack Whitehall, zany British sit-com.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow morning in the West Village. Likely cooler with an umbrella handy. I DESPISE going to the doctor.
Yikes that's a hike to your MD. Good luck. I despise the doctor, too, so I don't go. Not smart I know. Real feel 107 where I am. Going to play bridge with friends and then work. Both indoors with A/C thank god. Love that sitcom BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Stop dramatizing over a perfectly normal weather pattern, mr kk (aka “ultra temp-sensitive”)...do you prefer to be housed in my tomato green house on Long Island with +/- 1 degree temp fluctuations?

It must be 150 degrees in any greenhouse this weekend (stewed tomatoes for dinner?) No thank you, I prefer my apartment. kept at 77 +/- 1 degree temp fluctuations. I have the AC set at 72degrees Dehumidify (slow fan) but it is slightly underpowered to do both rooms. But I am comfy at 77. My outing this morning was down the hot hallway to drop my garbage down the chute. My exertion today will be a 7 minute biceps routine (with dumbbells) in front of the TV.

Yes, I am very sensitive to my core overheating. I suffer heat exhaustion fairly often walking the Summer sidewalks of Manhattan.

Yes, heat waves are a normal thing. And DEATHS caused by heat waves are ALSO a normal thing.

Anyone remember Mr. Jim FIXX, the patron saint of running? Coincidentally, he dropped dead July 20, 1984 while enjoying a run in July heat in Vermont: Age: 52

Last edited by Kefir King; 07-21-2019 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-21-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
It must be 150 degrees in any greenhouse this weekend.

Yes, I am very sensitive to my core overheating. I suffer heat exhaustion fairly often walking the Summer sidewalks of Manhattan.

Yes, heat waves are a normal thing. And DEATHS caused by heat waves are ALSO a normal thing.

Anyone remember Mr. Jim FIXX, the patron saint of running? Coincidentally, he dropped dead July 20, 1984 while enjoying a run in July heat.
I was in the city yesterday to see Come From Away. I've known the Gander story since not long after 9/11 because a man in the area of NJ where I lived was one of the plane people and it was covered in the paper.

My 78-year-old friend got tickets at a good price, but she has emphysema and there was no way she could walk from Penn to 45th Street in that heat yesterday, so we caught a cab outside Penn even though I could have walked faster to the theater than the time it took to get up Eighth Avenue.

Weird thing that I've never ever experienced in NYC before: The cab driver was a white guy from Brooklyn.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Did you like COME FROM AWAY, MQ?
My husband saw it and hated it.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Yesterday, I binged watched The Pacific.

Triathlons can wait until fall.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Did you like COME FROM AWAY, MQ?
My husband saw it and hated it.
Yes, I did. As I think you know, I'm a WTC 9/11 survivor. When I first heard a couple of years ago that there was a musical about 9/11, I thought WTF.

Even knowing the Gander story, I thought it was inappropriate. But then some of my fellow survivors saw it and said it was better than they expected.

I was at my S.O.'s in Ontario, and there was a documentary on TV about the story and how the show came to be. Two university students got a grant to do a musical about 9/11 and decided to do the show about Gander and the plane people. They went to Newfoundland, met the locals, talked to the plane people, and wrote the show and put it on at some podunk college in Canada. Eventually it went to Detroit, then DC and then landed on Broadway.

It's basically a story of how different humans acted and were affected by finding themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere and the small-town people who found themselves host to 7000 people who landed at their airport. It's not all rosy and cute, there is laughter but plenty of tears. One couple (two guys both named Kevin, "It was cute when we first met") split up after they got home. Two other plane people, a woman from Texas and a British guy, met while stranded and eventually married. Another couple was trying to contact their son, who was FDNY. They found out when they got back to New York that he had died.

There was an Egyptian, a chef, who was subject to suspicion because of his religion and was actually thoroughly strip-searched in front of a female pilot before they would let him back on a plane.

And of course it's an introduction to Newfoundland and the Newfies' ways and speech.

The music was good, the sort of Irish-based music of Newfoundland, I guess. The cast is limited--they each play multiple roles, and the set is very simple. They mostly just rearrange chairs for different scenes, put on some neon Molson lights for a bar scene, open a door to indicate an airplane hold (there were animals on the planes, too.)

Old 07-22-2019, 11:37 AM

Thankd for the precise', MQ.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Yikes that's a hike to your MD. Good luck. I despise the doctor, too, so I don't go.

That hike to Sheridan Square to see my GP is getting to be a pain in the ass, even if only twice a year. I should probably try to find a GP in my neighborhood. God knows the UES has at least two doctors per block, maybe many more than that.

No way if I am actually sick do I feel like hauling ass to the West Village to hear "You probably have what is going around."

Old 07-30-2019, 10:15 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Heat index is 101. Again. I'm so done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City