Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 04:16 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times

Advertisements

This is why I refuse to pay Manhattan prices. Probably paying $3k a month in rent for a 1-BR what a way to add insult to injury that the elevators don't work at best. And at worst they kill you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM

494 posts, read 558,004 times
Hearing stories like this makes me want to get my affairs in order. When it is your time its your time.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:41 PM

123 posts, read 96,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwitting Landlord View Post
There's now a video out:
https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/video-...nade-building/

Doesn't seem like he was at fault or contributed to it in any way. It was a freak thing and he got terribly unlucky. Terrible way to go and I feel for his family.
The video was sped up, so you can't see what really happened. From this article - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/n...gtype=Homepage -

"As the door started to close and the elevator descended, Mr. Waisbren put out his hand to try to stop the door from closing. But the elevator kept going down — and that’s when he tried to rush through the door and got caught.

“Like jumping out of a car if it’s still moving,” the building employee said."

Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Was wondering exactly how this could have happened; now have my answer:

"The safety feature in the elevator that had been disabled or tampered with, known as a door zone restrictor, prevents a door from opening more than a few inches when an elevator is between floors."

Somebody is possibly looking at murder or manslaughter charges among other offenses.

Either way it is certain that building is going to be sued for wrongful death (among other things) right down to its foundation.

Estate of deceased is going to own that property.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Was wondering exactly how this could have happened; now have my answer:

"The safety feature in the elevator that had been disabled or tampered with, known as a door zone restrictor, prevents a door from opening more than a few inches when an elevator is between floors."

Somebody is possibly looking at murder or manslaughter charges among other offenses.

Either way it is certain that building is going to be sued for wrongful death (among other things) right down to its foundation.

Estate of deceased is going to own that property.
Is that quote from the Times article? That article says the building received a fine for having a safety feature tampered with. It also says: “Building investigators at the scene on Thursday determined that Mr. Waisbren had been riding the second elevator and not the one subject to a fine.”

I suppose maybe they will discover that the other elevator also had its safety features tampered with but who knows. That’s not clear or even suggested in this article.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:09 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
Who the ____ would tamper with a safety feature like that, anyway???

Old 08-22-2019, 09:15 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyc212 View Post
The video was sped up, so you can't see what really happened. From this article - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/n...gtype=Homepage -

"As the door started to close and the elevator descended, Mr. Waisbren put out his hand to try to stop the door from closing. But the elevator kept going down — and that’s when he tried to rush through the door and got caught.

“Like jumping out of a car if it’s still moving,” the building employee said."
With most web browsers you should be able to pause the video, and move forward and back.

If you do, you can see the guy with the backpack just clear the door when the victim tries to exit behind him and is dragged down by the elevator. BTW, there were 5 people still on the car that firefighters had to help to get out.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna;56002560[B
]Is that quote from the Times article? [/b]That article says the building received a fine for having a safety feature tampered with. It also says: “Building investigators at the scene on Thursday determined that Mr. Waisbren had been riding the second elevator and not the one subject to a fine.”

I suppose maybe they will discover that the other elevator also had its safety features tampered with but who knows. That’s not clear or even suggested in this article.
Yes, forgot to credit.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, forgot to credit.
That wasn’t the point I was trying to make. All I was trying to say is that they never determined the specific elevator he was in had been tampered with. It was the other elevator. And yet to be determined why the one he was in failed so spectacularly.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This is so bad. I have nightmares about once a year about out of control elevators, but I always calmed myself down after waking up, telling myself this can't really happen in real life. YES IT CAN!
Don't you remember that poor woman a few years ago who got caught and dragged up and crushed and the witnesses could see her legs hanging down out of the elevator? That one gave me the willies.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-k...ator-accident/

Here's a bunch more:

https://866attylaw.com/blog/personal...tor-accidents/

Well, time for bed. Pleasant dreams!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City