Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:54 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times

Advertisements

I feel sad for the random kind hearted neighbor who might've occasionally seen the guy but not known him. They might've exchanged hellos at the mailbox or whatever. To have someone--even the random friendly neighbor--suddenly snatched away like that can be painful, just as human beings feeling empathy for one another. Poor guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 08:50 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for the link. Yes, that's the one I was looking at. I've just re-watched it about 15 times. I can see a man who appeared to be exiting the elevator but it lurched down so quickly that it appeared to have taken him down with it. He just disappeared. I noticed that the door didn't or was unable to close completely but I couldn't see what was blocking it nor any decapitation of body parts or his head. Again, the man with the backpack on was standing in front of the elevator which blocked the view from the camera. Maybe it's just as well that I can't make out all that was described in the article because once you see something like that, you can't un-see it even if it was only seen on video.
The focus is only 3 seconds of video from 0.05 - 0.08. It happens fast but if you slow the video down by pausing it and manually moving the slider with the mouse cursor you can see it second by second

0.04 - doors open and back guy exits rapidly while looking back and down (the elevator is still moving)
0.05 - the victim tries to exit the elevator (he is in a climbing through an open window stance, the elevator is still descending)
0.06 - you can see the victim arm, leg, and head are outside the elevator cart while the elevator is still descending.
0.07 - victim is crushed between the top of the elevator and the lobby floor.
0.08 - backpack guy and the person standing next to the sign must have seen and heard the screams (from the guy being crushed and the others that were currently inside the elevator with him) as the victim was being crushed. You can see backpack guy skidding away holding his head blocking his view.

Gruesome yes. whoever was on the inside of the elevator with him as this happened will be traumatized for a while and wont be taking any elevators soon.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tenants have started a rent strike.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/31/tenant...pasteboard_app
Quote:
“Everyone is really freaked out,” said one resident who asked to remain anonymous. “You never think, in a building where I am paying $2,800 for studio, that you could die from the elevator.”
$2800 for a studio? I would have withheld rent too if I was paying that much and have to put up with constant broken elevators.

Quote:
The residents are forming a tenants association on the advice of attorney Fred Seeman, who was at the meeting. He advised residents to begin withholding rent immediately.
“Your owner is a slumlord,” Seeman told the group. “How is this any different than an apartment building in the Bronx that doesn’t have heat? And what happens there? They go to jail.”
Its sad that it takes the death of someone to bring attention to the many complaints the tenants were making about the elevator issues and the violations the owner received for the elevators. Same story with NYCA, no one listens to the many complaints about no heat or how water in the winter but when someone dies because they had to use their oven to heat the apartment or an electric heart causes a massive fire then its like they are hearing the issue for the first time when its been happening all along.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:20 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
The only way this landlord will survive financially is to get some units in as affordable housing.

Every morning when I have to pass by the building I feel a sense of dark energy.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
You would be AMAZED at the speed with which I, a senior citizen, am entering and exiting my elevators..."faster than a speeding bullet." I am up too high for the stairs, although I did walk up for a month of aerobic exercise but my knees began to ache so I stopped.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 AM

It happens to the best of us:

Quote:
Pope Struggles With Higher Power As He Gets Trapped In Elevator For 25 Minutes

Firefighters rescued the 82-year-old pontiff.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:32 AM

So this morning on my way to work, I passed by the building again, and saw a moving truck outside with someone moving *out.* I said to myself, "Good for him!"

Old 09-03-2019, 03:04 PM

1,567 posts, read 906,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You would be AMAZED at the speed with which I, a senior citizen, am entering and exiting my elevators..."faster than a speeding bullet." I am up too high for the stairs, although I did walk up for a month of aerobic exercise but my knees began to ache so I stopped.
I've been hopping in and out like a coked up rex rabbit with a spoon up his nose.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:51 AM

I often come into my building through the garage which connects the three buildings that make up Ruppert House. I watched them doing routine elevator maintenance. There were Huge spools of would steel cables perhaps 3/4 inch in diameter spread around. I chatted with the repairman and asked how often they were replaced. He said every 5-10 years and added there are 15 cables for each car and each single cable was capable of holding the elevator.

That was gratifying to hear. Elevator maintenance must cost a FORTUNE. We have 8 of them and modestly high maintenance for Mitchell Lama.

We have had boards that consistently waste a lot of money.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:16 AM

This morning, when I passed by the building, I saw another moving truck! Bye bye!
If I had to pay 3400 of rent, it'd be easy for me to move out as well. The ex tenant must be thinking to him/herself, "I'm so glad I can come home and not have to see or take that chamber of death of an elevator!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City