Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 03:53 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,239,034 times

Advertisements

A transplant from Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 05:40 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Was wondering exactly how this could have happened; now have my answer:

"The safety feature in the elevator that had been disabled or tampered with, known as a door zone restrictor, prevents a door from opening more than a few inches when an elevator is between floors."

Somebody is possibly looking at murder or manslaughter charges among other offenses.

Either way it is certain that building is going to be sued for wrongful death (among other things) right down to its foundation.

Estate of deceased is going to own that property.

Opinion:
Should have never happened. Too many bells and whistles to protect riding public.
Video shows 3 problems. The most basics of protection was not functioning.......................

1) Two Door safeties. Electrical and physical restrictors designed to keep passengers from physically
opening ( inner doors) themselves between floors and stopping the elevator immediately if forced open.
They were non functional.

2) Elevator continues to move with (outer doors) opened. Any opened outer elevator door by law must
bring the elevator to a complete stop. Also not functional.

This video shows both inner and outer door opened leading to this horrific tragedy.
The specific design entailed to keep riders safe were not functioning.

Tampering of Door restriction devices and Door circuitry?
Investigation immediately necessary to rule out manslaughter charges...........................

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 08-23-2019 at 05:59 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 07:28 AM

507 posts, read 689,248 times
people- its like playing with your life..if the elevator is acting wary-DONT!!..try to play roulette..please dont panic..just press the alarm..call the police-fire dept and wait. the situation got to it that the elevator proberly stopped mid-way between floors and he maybe thought ohh let me just jump-out!!.. NO!..dont risk it..them sensors can trigger at any given moment..and the thrust pressure of these elevators can be not enough man strengh to push/hold back..and can move while you are trying..so my condolences to that poor mans family.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I cannot envision a man getting stuck between an elevator cab and the enclosing wall. Being cut in half by an elevator lurching up or down, yes.

My takeaway lesson. If the doors are closing I will use a bag or umbrella to reopen them, but not any of my body parts. I used to stick my arm in...no more.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-23-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 09:15 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deli167st View Post
the elevator proberly stopped mid-way between floors and he maybe thought ohh let me just jump-out!!.. .
That's not what happened. Watch the video, posted above.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,220,813 times
Just awful, so a reminder. Never cross the saddle on a moving elevator. Stay in or out.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,573,986 times
It’s amazing how quickly a life can be lost. And it’s especially sad when the person is doing something so mundane as leaving the house in the morning to go to work!

I have a 30-year-old daughter who lives nearby, and she tells me once in a while her elevator acts weird. I’m going to speak to her about that.

Another thing: As the articles state, this building was riddled with violations. It shows that apartment hunters can be mislead by an attractive and expensive building in a nice neighborhood. Before you rent or buy, it’s important to check the DOB site to get the real scope of what you’re dealing with. And current residents should check periodically too, and bring pressure on owners to keep buildings in repair.

And in this case, it seems that the safety mechanisms had been willfully disengaged. I hope someone can be brought to justice for this sad loss of life. My condolences to the family.

Old 08-23-2019, 12:12 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

I have a 30-year-old daughter who lives nearby, and she tells me once in a while her elevator acts weird. I’m going to speak to her about that.
I once got on an elevator car that started bouncing up and down once the doors closed. I tried to press the open button but I was stuck inside! I was like, "oh, sh**" but then the doors all of a sudden burst open, the bouncing stopped and I never jumped out so fast. I made a beeline towards management letting them know of the "bouncing elevator car" and when I came back from work, saw crews repairing it.

Last edited by Aeran; 08-23-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-23-2019, 12:14 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't you remember that poor woman a few years ago who got caught and dragged up and crushed and the witnesses could see her legs hanging down out of the elevator? That one gave me the willies.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-k...ator-accident/

Here's a bunch more:

https://866attylaw.com/blog/personal...tor-accidents/

Well, time for bed. Pleasant dreams!
For some reason the elevator nightmares I have always involve the elevator shooting upwards out of control. And yes, that can happen in real life too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrvsfP1PxYk

Old 08-23-2019, 12:25 PM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
My God, I couldn't even continue looking at the video! It's giving me the willies!

And also, I think the victims who stayed behind in the elevator and saw the whole thing in that enclosed space should also be compensated! No one should have to experience the death of a person because of negligence!

Personally, I'd terminate my lease and get the heck out of dodge. No way will I continue to live there and have to see those elevators everyday leaving in and out to work! Hell no!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City