Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 11:37 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,115,470 times

Advertisements

LA banned chocolate milk in schools in 2011. The ban lasted 5 years. They brought back chocolate milk because the students weren't drinking the regular milk.

I keep a healthy diet but I don't think a half pint of chocolate milk is harmful. Instead of taking away chocolate milk give these kids gym classes and recess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 11:46 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,142,967 times
Milk should be ban in general from school. All these kids need is water.

No soda, milk, candy, etc.

Old 03-18-2022, 06:47 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,698,160 times
While I LOVED chocolate milk, in school, I now, as a parent, understand the excessive sugar issues. Actually, a large percentage of kids of color are lactose intolerant; so, there's a valid argument to ban milk, altogether.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:46 PM

32,062 posts, read 27,308,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Milk should be ban in general from school. All these kids need is water.

No soda, milk, candy, etc.
You sound like someone's old crotchety grandparent. That or a teacher/principal/school employee who is frustrated and wound up too tight.

Old 03-19-2022, 11:39 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,356,198 times
Let's not forget M. Obama's school nuitrition program mandating vegetables and fruit.

"But just because children are being served healthy food doesn't mean they're eating it. A study by the Harvard School of Public Health found that some 60 percent of vegetables and 40 percent of fresh fruit are thrown away (for good measure, even more vegetables — some 75 percent — were thrown out before the USDA school meal standards went into effect). A separate study notes a significant increase in waste in many schools ever since the new health standards were implemented."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...chool-lunches/

Old 03-19-2022, 12:19 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,105,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Let's not forget M. Obama's school nuitrition program mandating vegetables and fruit.

"But just because children are being served healthy food doesn't mean they're eating it. A study by the Harvard School of Public Health found that some 60 percent of vegetables and 40 percent of fresh fruit are thrown away (for good measure, even more vegetables — some 75 percent — were thrown out before the USDA school meal standards went into effect). A separate study notes a significant increase in waste in many schools ever since the new health standards were implemented."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...chool-lunches/
That’s exactly why Trump removed the program. He saw the waste.
Anyway, I think good nutrition starts in the household. Obviously if parents are feeding their children high sugar diets - cereals, pancakes, muffins, waffles, breads, pastas, etc - they’re going to reject vegetables. It’s hard to give up a sugar addiction. It’s just as hard as giving up heroin (as per studies)

Old 03-19-2022, 03:27 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,142,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You sound like someone's old crotchety grandparent. That or a teacher/principal/school employee who is frustrated and wound up too tight.
None. Obesity in the USA is on the rise. Same for Western countries.

What is the point of drinking cow's milk?

Old 03-19-2022, 04:57 PM

9 posts, read 2,363 times
I see it more important to control violence in students. There no penalty for black students to attack others. Why? Why can blacks murder with out penaltys? They can kill Asians people and get rewards for killing.

I would throw the milk at NY leaders faces. They did this.

Old 03-19-2022, 07:12 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,787,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
That’s exactly why Trump removed the program. He saw the waste.
Anyway, I think good nutrition starts in the household. Obviously if parents are feeding their children high sugar diets - cereals, pancakes, muffins, waffles, breads, pastas, etc - they’re going to reject vegetables. It’s hard to give up a sugar addiction. It’s just as hard as giving up heroin (as per studies)
Have you seen the vegetables served in DOE school lunches? I can't say that I blame the students.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:23 AM

25,433 posts, read 37,261,605 times
I saw an interesting TV presentation on the dangers of quick-acting sugars (glucose and fructose= sucrose) and the advantages of a high-fat diet, like keto.

The sugar lobby instead persuaded the U$DA that FAT was the dietary culprit in disease so then dietary fats were scorned by government edict. And society went along, declaring fat to be the enemy of health.

Kids had been drinking whole white milk in school (4% fat) and they liked it, or at least drank it. Then regulations were changed stipulating only non-fat milk could be served. As we all know, skim milk tastes like s**t so kids avoided it like the plague. The "solution" was to pump this distasteful slop with enough chocolate and, you guessed it, SUGAR, to make it palatable to kids.

And now many are growing up to be obese diabetics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: