Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 01:47 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,090,563 times

Advertisements

The excuses on here are insane.

Metrocard machines take cash.
The OMNY machines will take cash.

That's life. You want to do things- we use machinery in 2021.

If seniors can't handle this- it's time to be put in a home and wait to die.

Yes- sometimes the machines are broken. Sucks, MTA is garbage- but there's the same chance your card you paid in cash won't swipe properly.

Also, prepaid debit cash cards do NOT require a SSN. Don't mislead people if you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2021, 06:06 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,331,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The excuses on here are insane.

Metrocard machines take cash.
The OMNY machines will take cash.

That's life. You want to do things- we use machinery in 2021.

If seniors can't handle this- it's time to be put in a home and wait to die.

Yes- sometimes the machines are broken. Sucks, MTA is garbage- but there's the same chance your card you paid in cash won't swipe properly.

Also, prepaid debit cash cards do NOT require a SSN. Don't mislead people if you have no idea what you're talking about.
They aren't insane. They are legitimate. You yourself said that the MTA is garbage. That's the point and why people should be given the option for now. Unless you've had to hop from subway station to subway station because all of the machines were broken just to get a Metrocard, then you don't know what a pain it is, and in some areas, subway stations are not close by, making it further inconvenient. Now when OMNY is fully implemented with cash as an option, perhaps the conversation can be had to move away from taking cash at the booths, but for now, I agree, cash should be kept, and I'm actually an OMNY user. I just know what a pain it was prior to OMNY and I don't even use cash.

Old 06-26-2021, 06:14 AM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
It sounds illegal/ unconstitutional for a state agency to supplant money with digital manipulation.

Quote:
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title ...

Last edited by Kefir King; 06-26-2021 at 06:26 AM..

Old 06-26-2021, 07:15 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,246,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
which brand? green dot definitely goes through it

The biggest loophole on cash cards to avoid personal info is getting rebates that are issued on visa cash cards

Never green dot
I've bought visa cards in staples cvs Walgreens stop and shop and a few other supermarkets and never had to do this

Old 06-26-2021, 08:07 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,090,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
They aren't insane. They are legitimate. You yourself said that the MTA is garbage. That's the point and why people should be given the option for now. Unless you've had to hop from subway station to subway station because all of the machines were broken just to get a Metrocard, then you don't know what a pain it is, and in some areas, subway stations are not close by, making it further inconvenient. Now when OMNY is fully implemented with cash as an option, perhaps the conversation can be had to move away from taking cash at the booths, but for now, I agree, cash should be kept, and I'm actually an OMNY user. I just know what a pain it was prior to OMNY and I don't even use cash.
This issue has been long outstanding- but cash does not fix the problem.

If the hardware (cash reader, metrocard vending machine, or swipe) is malfunctioning- it is the riders responsibility, not the MTA to find a workaround. Personally it should be fair game to document the machine break down, and hop the turnstile and report failure to MTA within 24 hours.

I guess what I'm missing in this issue- is that any issues I've ever had were late night, or during break downs where booth agents were non-existent or had no ability to help.
They shouldn't take cash because they no longer have any purpose to exist.

A central call center activated by button can fix almost all of these issues.
Better yet one staffed by someone who isn't paid a near fortune to do nothing.

Old 06-26-2021, 09:12 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times
Nobody does this?

"EasyPay options for MetroCards
EasyPay allows you to pay for rides automatically with a credit or debit card. Once you sign up, your MetroCard refills whenever the balance is low."

https://new.mta.info/fares/easypay

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2021, 10:26 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,331,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
This issue has been long outstanding- but cash does not fix the problem.

If the hardware (cash reader, metrocard vending machine, or swipe) is malfunctioning- it is the riders responsibility, not the MTA to find a workaround. Personally it should be fair game to document the machine break down, and hop the turnstile and report failure to MTA within 24 hours.

I guess what I'm missing in this issue- is that any issues I've ever had were late night, or during break downs where booth agents were non-existent or had no ability to help.
They shouldn't take cash because they no longer have any purpose to exist.

A central call center activated by button can fix almost all of these issues.
Better yet one staffed by someone who isn't paid a near fortune to do nothing.
The Metrocard will be gone in a few years IIRC, so when they switch over to OMNY, they can look at it then. The reality still remains that the people using cash are generally poor or unbanked or elderly, and they need the system the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nobody does this?

"EasyPay options for MetroCards
EasyPay allows you to pay for rides automatically with a credit or debit card. Once you sign up, your MetroCard refills whenever the balance is low."

https://new.mta.info/fares/easypay
Some people do. I have never cared for it. Glad OMNY is here, which I much prefer. I only do automated when there is an incentive to do so. There is no incentive to use EasyPay, as there no bonus or discount given.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:24 AM

25,398 posts, read 37,151,865 times
I would have been happy to sign up for Easy Pay. However, when I tried it would have been nevcessary for me to apply again for my Senior reduced fair Metrocard (with picture etc.) So that would have meant another trip down to Williams Street and then bureaucratic paperwork.

So I just refill my card with $40 on credit card whenever I need it...not often lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: