Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 01:25 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensQueen584 View Post
You're correct that wasn't fair for me to assume I know your upbringing. Just as it is not fair for you to assume and make judgement on children that do not attend school. There is many reasons why they have to make this decision and for most it is the only way for them to survive.
I'm not making judgment on them at all, but let's stop using 400 years of slavery as an excuse. It's old and tiring. There are plenty of kids out here that face obstacles when trying to attend school. That was my point. It's not easy for lots of kids that are in the same predicament you mentioned and they manage.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:38 PM

5,828 posts, read 2,950,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
do you not understand 400 years of slavery? Hundred years of segregation? And the oppression that continues today? Black men are literally hunted and killed by the police in this country. Oh and can't forget the war on drugs which incarcerated millions of black fathers. So many black fathers in Rikers Island it makes me sick. They need to be free.

The reason for the singlemotherhood epidemic is because of the government. We need more resources and help. Every other race and community is succeeding meanwhile we're stuck at the bottom with nobody giving us anything.

This is a fact. Anybody who denies this is either racist or a trump supporter.

This thing is a troll. **** off.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 727,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
This thing is a troll. **** off.
Don't even respond to him.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:37 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
it's sick how the city oppresses its black populace. The oppurtunity in Harlem, the bronx isn't the same as for priviliged white folks in Midtown manhattan or brooklyn. We need reparations.

the reasons riots and looting happens is because the government has neglected a community for so long. Give us resources, give us jobs, give us hope, give us benefits, give us cheap housing. Instead they leave the community to fend for itself, disgusting.
Reparations won't help oppressed American blacks who are descended from slavery. Your money will go back to whites especially mainline white protestants and Jews who run alot of business here. Sadly both groups vouch and have alot of affinity for black people historically and for now. It was mainline white protestants who saw slavery a necessary evil btw, and it was mainline white protestants who did alot of the marching during the George Floyd protests.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:48 PM

34 posts, read 51,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm not making judgment on them at all, but let's stop using 400 years of slavery as an excuse. It's old and tiring. There are plenty of kids out here that face obstacles when trying to attend school. That was my point. It's not easy for lots of kids that are in the same predicament you mentioned and they manage.
I said nothing about slavery. Present times people are struggling. Some are fortunate to be able to over come the obstacles but there are also those who don't. But each situation is different and that plays a huge part in all of this.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:49 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
I said nothing about slavery. Present times people are struggling. Some are fortunate to be able to over come the obstacles but there are also those who don't. But each situation is different and that plays a huge part in all of this.
I didn't say you did. That was a general statement.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Here is my take on all this. I'm a 1st generation American. I also grew up in nycha projects in the south Bronx. I grew up in Melrose projects. I was able to go to the university via CUNY system but I graduated during the recession. Btw my family is from Columbia. I got lucky some years ago. I was stuck in a job that did not go nowhere, but at nycha project. An advertisement for construction jobs appeared via section 3. The thing that suck is that one needs to have a 2 year degree and no criminal record to qualify. Anyhow I got hired, but the only condition is that I have to reside in a nycha development. I ended up getting hired by AEcom and obtain my osha 30 and other certifications. I spoke with my previous employer and told them I want to move on and not be on section 3. I later on was promoted to site safety supervisor and eventually move out of nyc to suburban NJ. Now I work for the city as an inspector and in the process of becoming an inspector supervisor.

Their js alot of tools out there for African Americans, sadly plenty of African Americans in NYC don't use those tools, and those tools end up being used by immigrants who will leap frog both white, native and African Americans. A good example is upward bound program. I used to do history tutoring for that government funded institution. Not one African American kid was there. The only black kids I saw were either African, afro Caribbean and black Dominicans.

My advice. Black community has alot of money. Black pastor makes alot of money because he gets his money from the very same black women who live in the projects or live in section 8 tenements. Black pastor should work with mainline white protestants and Jews who can fund money directly for black Americans in need in which welfare can not provide such heavy lifting. Also work with social justice initiatives which can fund needs directly to black Americans.

Another thing is to bring education back to vocational training instead of gearing students for college and military instead. Learning hvac in an South Bronx high school in post covid will pull black men who live in the hood out of poverty.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:35 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
do you not understand 400 years of slavery? Hundred years of segregation? And the oppression that continues today? Black men are literally hunted and killed by the police in this country. Oh and can't forget the war on drugs which incarcerated millions of black fathers. So many black fathers in Rikers Island it makes me sick. They need to be free.

The reason for the singlemotherhood epidemic is because of the government. We need more resources and help. Every other race and community is succeeding meanwhile we're stuck at the bottom with nobody giving us anything.

I thought you and your people felt they were synonymous. Hey - now we're having fun.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:46 PM

206 posts, read 99,135 times
Quote:

I agree with you bro. We should rally for a bill for every non black American to be taxed an extra 15% and have that money go only to the black community for the centuries of oppression!

Old 02-16-2022, 05:26 PM

5,685 posts, read 2,615,888 times
Quote:
Well for a city getting millions for the weekend by hosting the super bowl yet housing is expensive, gas is through the roof and food is very expensive. THE PEOPLE ARE TIRED! They are constantly getting slapped in the face so if the only way to bring attention to the inequality is by looting so be it.
Oh stop I lived in LA, its cheaper and more bang for your buck then NYC.

To your point, I live in the hood in the Bronx. So are you saying at any time it's ok for me to go break into any business and loot from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City