Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 05:38 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Here is my take on all this. I'm a 1st generation American. I also grew up in nycha projects in the south Bronx. I grew up in Melrose projects. I was able to go to the university via CUNY system but I graduated during the recession. Btw my family is from Columbia. I got lucky some years ago. I was stuck in a job that did not go nowhere, but at nycha project. An advertisement for construction jobs appeared via section 3. The thing that suck is that one needs to have a 2 year degree and no criminal record to qualify. Anyhow I got hired, but the only condition is that I have to reside in a nycha development. I ended up getting hired by AEcom and obtain my osha 30 and other certifications. I spoke with my previous employer and told them I want to move on and not be on section 3. I later on was promoted to site safety supervisor and eventually move out of nyc to suburban NJ. Now I work for the city as an inspector and in the process of becoming an inspector supervisor.

Their js alot of tools out there for African Americans, sadly plenty of African Americans in NYC don't use those tools, and those tools end up being used by immigrants who will leap frog both white, native and African Americans. A good example is upward bound program. I used to do history tutoring for that government funded institution. Not one African American kid was there. The only black kids I saw were either African, afro Caribbean and black Dominicans.

My advice. Black community has alot of money. Black pastor makes alot of money because he gets his money from the very same black women who live in the projects or live in section 8 tenements. Black pastor should work with mainline white protestants and Jews who can fund money directly for black Americans in need in which welfare can not provide such heavy lifting. Also work with social justice initiatives which can fund needs directly to black Americans.

Another thing is to bring education back to vocational training instead of gearing students for college and military instead. Learning hvac in an South Bronx high school in post covid will pull black men who live in the hood out of poverty.
"Colombia" not Columbia....

Old 02-16-2022, 06:03 PM

162 posts, read 70,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Here is my take on all this. I'm a 1st generation American. I also grew up in nycha projects in the south Bronx. I grew up in Melrose projects. I was able to go to the university via CUNY system but I graduated during the recession. Btw my family is from Columbia. I got lucky some years ago. I was stuck in a job that did not go nowhere, but at nycha project. An advertisement for construction jobs appeared via section 3. The thing that suck is that one needs to have a 2 year degree and no criminal record to qualify. Anyhow I got hired, but the only condition is that I have to reside in a nycha development. I ended up getting hired by AEcom and obtain my osha 30 and other certifications. I spoke with my previous employer and told them I want to move on and not be on section 3. I later on was promoted to site safety supervisor and eventually move out of nyc to suburban NJ. Now I work for the city as an inspector and in the process of becoming an inspector supervisor.

Their js alot of tools out there for African Americans, sadly plenty of African Americans in NYC don't use those tools, and those tools end up being used by immigrants who will leap frog both white, native and African Americans. A good example is upward bound program. I used to do history tutoring for that government funded institution. Not one African American kid was there. The only black kids I saw were either African, afro Caribbean and black Dominicans.

My advice. Black community has alot of money. Black pastor makes alot of money because he gets his money from the very same black women who live in the projects or live in section 8 tenements. Black pastor should work with mainline white protestants and Jews who can fund money directly for black Americans in need in which welfare can not provide such heavy lifting. Also work with social justice initiatives which can fund needs directly to black Americans.

Another thing is to bring education back to vocational training instead of gearing students for college and military instead. Learning hvac in an South Bronx high school in post covid will pull black men who live in the hood out of poverty.
You can't be from Colombia spelling it like that, lol. Let's be honest, the same can be applied to American born children of Hispanic parents - that assimilate the American culture within their environment. I'm proud of you're achievements but you're a small percentage within that demographic.

However, I do agree that there's a cultural difference which is shown w/ education/work between African Americans and Blacks who are of African, Caribbean and Hispanic descent.

One of the problems itself is WELFARE.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:34 PM

621 posts, read 241,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoppressedracist View Post
You can't be from Colombia spelling it like that, lol. Let's be honest, the same can be applied to American born children of Hispanic parents - that assimilate the American culture within their environment. I'm proud of you're achievements but you're a small percentage within that demographic.

However, I do agree that there's a cultural difference which is shown w/ education/work between African Americans and Blacks who are of African, Caribbean and Hispanic descent.

One of the problems itself is WELFARE.

Curious...what's the difference you see?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:07 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,472,420 times
You can't get any more democrat than NYC or LA.

Blacks and Brown people still homeless, jobless, etc etc.

Can't blame White Republicans in these cities, so whose fault is it?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:08 PM

226 posts, read 133,346 times
Stop with the respectability politics. Black folks deserve reparations. We deserve love. Compassion. More benefits and help. Not attacks from another minority on why they work harder than us. It's pathetic and feeds into white supremacy

Old 02-16-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You can't get any more democrat than NYC or LA.

Blacks and Brown people still homeless, jobless, etc etc.

Can't blame White Republicans in these cities, so whose fault is it?

Where were you on January 6th, 2021?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:12 PM

216 posts, read 67,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtyfygiu View Post
it's sick how the city oppresses its black populace. The oppurtunity in Harlem, the bronx isn't the same as for priviliged white folks in Midtown manhattan or brooklyn. We need reparations.

the reasons riots and looting happens is because the government has neglected a community for so long. Give us resources, give us jobs, give us hope, give us benefits, give us cheap housing. Instead they leave the community to fend for itself, disgusting.
How is the city oppressing black people? Also, what do you deserve reparations for, were you a slave?

Old 02-16-2022, 08:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,472,420 times
Quote:
Where were you on January 6th, 2021?

I know who you are.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philosopher View Post
How is the city oppressing black people? Also, what do you deserve reparations for, were you a slave?

Are you blind to the history of NYPD killing black men? The racist housing policies? The segregation? Also my ancestors never got their 40 acres and a mule. We deserve it. NOW.

Old 02-16-2022, 08:16 PM

608 posts, read 239,691 times
Quote:
Stop with the respectability politics. Black folks deserve reparations. We deserve love. Compassion. More benefits and help. Not attacks from another minority on why they work harder than us. It's pathetic and feeds into white supremacy
...but other minorities DO work harder than Section 8 or Housing Project Black Americans, and that has nothing to do with White Supremacy. It's because Dominicans or Ecuadorians will show up with the clothes on their back, work, learn English, and contract a mortgage in about 3 years, while Junmill from the projects complains the entire time that Latinos are stealing jobs he was never even applied for to begin with, while collecting welfare money that whole time.

Black Americans in the NYCHA system don't have to pay electricity, gas, and barely any rent (about $100 a month).

...and yes, while there is a case for recompensation (especially in the case of racist cops across the country), I don't have to love or feel compassion for even one damn soul if I don't feel like it.

Go p--s up a rope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City