Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 03:46 PM

84 posts, read 28,149 times

Advertisements

The bike delivery riders are simply everywhere. Some days it feels like there are more of these bike delivery workers then any other occupation in the city. Yet nobody says anything about it. Plus, the bike delivery workers never talk or look at me, and I would never order their services either....

About how many bike delivery riders are operating in NYC?

What percentage of them have no legal right to be working here?

Do all of them steal Social Security Numbers to ride or are there other loopholes?

How come the delivery apps are never investigated or held accountable?

Do you actually use these deliveries? Why not just walk to the restaurant instead?

What are their average wages and tips?

Why are they All illegal people and you never see legal citizens doing deliveries?

What would happen if all the sudden the city had none of these delivery riders?

Are there advertisements in their home countries saying you can live here and just do deliveries?

How do they afford the electric bikes?

What other jobs are they taking?

Why are landlords renting to people with these jobs if they know all of them steal SSN’s?

Lots of questions nobody ever thinks to ask and there must be 1,000,000 bike delivery riders out here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 04:23 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Find out who is paying them and all of your questions will be answered

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-17-2022, 04:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,077,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Find out who is paying them and all of your questions will be answered

Old 02-17-2022, 04:39 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
This is just an educated guess but many of the bike messengers are laid off restaurant workers. They find food app delivery work to be more lucrative than slaving away in a cramped kitchen, lugging garbage bags up and down different flights, dealing with bosses who shortchange them on tips and wages. At least with the food delivery app, they can see their earnings instantly and for many it is an addictive rush to "score" a good trip. The apps encourage this by turning the delivery experience into a video game like atmosphere with bells, whistles, and other incentives built in. How do I know this? B/c the bike messengers are always looking at their phones and carrying giant takeout bags.

Old 02-17-2022, 04:58 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
I once saw one of these bike delivery persons in action: they were waiting around outside the restaurant, then suddenly looked at their phone, picked up an order but had to pay for it with their own credit card. So it may not be as lucrative as it seems. They probably get at most 5 dollars per delivery of which they have to pay off the credit card.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:16 PM

162 posts, read 70,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I once saw one of these bike delivery persons in action: they were waiting around outside the restaurant, then suddenly looked at their phone, picked up an order but had to pay for it with their own credit card. So it may not be as lucrative as it seems. They probably get at most 5 dollars per delivery of which they have to pay off the credit card.
Was it their credit card? Some delivery services provide them with a card to purchase the meals for customers.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:46 PM

84 posts, read 28,149 times
One time I was at a cafe in Manhattan sitting in a somewhat luxurious cafe by my measure. Sipping a nice warm beverage with friends. Out comes a delivery driver out of the bathroom, wearing his delivery backpack out of the restroom. Later I went in there and it stunk so awful from the dump the delivery guy took. Sort of doubt he washed hands for some reason.

Also the water bottles filled with pee strewn about the city are likely from them because since the pandemic there are less bathrooms to use. And restaurants probably do not want them going to town in there stinking it up....

I’ve heard of some people getting their food and later thinking that some items were opened and eaten by the delivery person.

I can’t say they have done many bad things to me but it is highly unusual that this is the norm and nobody talks about them. The other day, normal time of day not rush hour or anything, I counted 53 of them zipping by in 1 minute. I filmed it, counting them. Troops of them. They are absolutely everywhere....

Old 02-17-2022, 07:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 672,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Why do you bother commenting if you have nothing of value to say? The OP is clearly a troll ( looks like a**holes are back in town that is if he even resides here) but do a little research people. The delivery people, essential workers who worked throughout COVID, inclement weather, etc can clear 30$+ an hour, and they definitely do not use their own credit cards. Uber, Grubhub etc provide them with cards when needed.

Old 02-18-2022, 05:02 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
I get almost everything delivered now either through Amazon or local bike deliveries. Can't remember when I was last actually in a store shopping for anything.
Amazon is setting up warehouses everywhere so they can gobble up sales of everything and deliver it to your door.
More and more people I know are even buying cars and having them delivered. There are more and more ghost restaurants where there is no actual restaurant.... meals prepared in a warehouse kitchen and delivered to your door.
I think in another 10 years everyone will be getting everything delivered and most stores will be gone.
There will probably still be real restaurants so people can have that indoor dining experience but they will be so expensive most people won't be able to afford them with any regularity and you will have to make reservations months in advance.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:42 AM

621 posts, read 240,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LES-Adrian View Post
The bike delivery riders are simply everywhere. Some days it feels like there are more of these bike delivery workers then any other occupation in the city. Yet nobody says anything about it. Plus, the bike delivery workers never talk or look at me, and I would never order their services either....

About how many bike delivery riders are operating in NYC?

What percentage of them have no legal right to be working here?

Do all of them steal Social Security Numbers to ride or are there other loopholes?

How come the delivery apps are never investigated or held accountable?

Do you actually use these deliveries? Why not just walk to the restaurant instead?

What are their average wages and tips?

Why are they All illegal people and you never see legal citizens doing deliveries?

What would happen if all the sudden the city had none of these delivery riders?

Are there advertisements in their home countries saying you can live here and just do deliveries?

How do they afford the electric bikes?

What other jobs are they taking?

Why are landlords renting to people with these jobs if they know all of them steal SSN’s?

Lots of questions nobody ever thinks to ask and there must be 1,000,000 bike delivery riders out here....

The answers to your questions come down to one basic premise - people are working to make a living. Is this not better than sitting at home and collecting benefits for doing nothing?

I find your questions to be very condescending - this reads like a person who thinks (s)he is better than these working-class people because they're delivery riders and you're in your silk robe typing on a message board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: