Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 08:19 PM

2,640 posts, read 1,235,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I have a good friend in the cyber intelligence field. He advised me not to add a credit card to Apple pay. He also doesn't use Venmo. Being in that field makes you paranoid but I guess for good reason.
I could only imagine.

There's a great blog I read called Krebs Security (won't link because it may be against CD rules).

I don't work in cyber security, I'm barely even functional technologically speaking, but I read that blog every now and then. It is INSANE how many major breaches occur all the time. If the news reported it, people would FREAK OUT worse than they did over covid. No exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 08:36 PM

3,352 posts, read 1,242,035 times
Quote:
I have a good friend in the cyber intelligence field. He advised me not to add a credit card to Apple pay. He also doesn't use Venmo. Being in that field makes you paranoid but I guess for good reason.
Understandable
If my credit card gets hacked I really don't care
Why anyone uses debit cards is beyond me

Old 05-31-2022, 09:54 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I dont know what that is, I feel like I have heard of zelle before.
is it anything like paypal?

I hope and pray theis gets solved, it is a tragic story, and something is so very wrong here.

I think cabs should have cameras in them as well as the streets.
Yes, you can set up a Zelle account through a bank account and send money right from your bank to them instantly. I have done it with my daughter.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:03 PM

88,661 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
Understandable
If my credit card gets hacked I really don't care
Why anyone uses debit cards is beyond me
I read that long ago. I used to use my debit card at the grocery store untilI saw a show where they had a guy outside with his laptop snatching card numbers and PINs being used inside.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:42 PM
PVW

287 posts, read 165,432 times
I always ignore my bank's invitation to use Zelle.

The NYT had an article a few weeks ago about using Zelle--fraud is flourishing on the app:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/06/b...sultPosition=2

From the article:

Consumers love payment apps like Zelle because they’re free, fast and convenient. Created in 2017 by America’s largest banks to enable instant digital money transfers, Zelle comes embedded in banking apps and is now by far the country’s most widely used money transfer service. Last year, people sent $490 billion through Zelle, compared with $230 billion through Venmo, its closest rival.

Zelle’s immediacy has also made it a favorite of fraudsters. Other types of bank transfers or transactions involving payment cards typically take at least a day to clear. But once crooks scare or trick victims into handing over money via Zelle, they can siphon away thousands of dollars in seconds. There’s no way for customers — and in many cases, the banks themselves — to retrieve the money.

Old 06-01-2022, 05:42 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
There are so many fraud things out there, it is sickening, and some are even believable, especially if your a person that gets into a panic mode.

My telephone (land line) had a message regarding my amazon account, my partner asks me and is carrying on, omg, your amazon, they left message, all frantic.

I looked at him and was like, hello??, this is fraud, amazon doesn't call.

The same thing with Citibank, they leave a message on my machine, calling out my first name like I am their best friend saying there is a 1500.00 charge, yadda, yadda, and again, he goes into panic mode. You better call, you better call.....ugh!!

I have to constantly say to him, this is all fraud, don't worry about it. I can check my accounts online and see what charges have been made, of course they were all bogus. What credit card company leaves a message saying into the answering machine, John, Joooohn....(fake name, LOL) but I listen to it and think, are you kidding me??.

I ignore anything like that. If I happen to answer and they ask, is this Mr John? I will say, why do you ask? or most times, I simply hang up. I never say the word yes, or any type of word that can be used for anything. best thing is to always hang up.

I don't think any of those pay apps are god, so it takes a bit longer to fill something out, who cares, it is much safer that way.

In this day and age, one has to be so careful on all of this type of stuff.

In this poor boys case, I find it despicable what these other men have done to him.
but, let this be a learning lesson to all, don't have things linked up on a cell phone, that can be easily stolen and hacked. I truly hope they find these men and this case gets solved. It is beyond horrible. There are a lot of gay men that do pray on other gay men, it is not un-common, sadly

terrible, all of this is terrible.

Old 06-01-2022, 08:11 AM

2,332 posts, read 1,036,082 times
They probably used GBH or Molly as it is known on the street to knock him unconscious. This was a very popular party drug in the 1990s-2000s party scene among straights. Apparently it must still be popular with the gays.

Not sure how common it is now but based I am puzzled how they were able to gain access to the bank accounts because aren't those password protected with 2 Factor authentication? I am very old fashioned and do all bank deposits IN PERSON at the teller. I will use bank branch ATMs ONLY for withdrawals and only for $200 max. Anything larger must be done at the bank teller's window. I also refuse any offer to use apps on my phone and religiously monitor my bank account online for suspicious transactions.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:22 AM

6,693 posts, read 6,047,195 times
Quote:
I’m in the field and have NOT linked Apple Pay to my phone.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:27 AM

3,352 posts, read 1,242,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
They probably used GBH or Molly as it is known on the street to knock him unconscious. This was a very popular party drug in the 1990s-2000s party scene among straights. Apparently it must still be popular with the gays.

Not sure how common it is now but based I am puzzled how they were able to gain access to the bank accounts because aren't those password protected with 2 Factor authentication? I am very old fashioned and do all bank deposits IN PERSON at the teller. I will use bank branch ATMs ONLY for withdrawals and only for $200 max. Anything larger must be done at the bank teller's window. I also refuse any offer to use apps on my phone and religiously monitor my bank account online for suspicious transactions.
They didn't say how fast the transactions took place, but it's possible they drained his accounts using his thumb print to get in his phone while still in the cab if the passwords were stored.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:42 AM

31,946 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Stay the eff away from Zelle and rest.

https://abc7news.com/zelle-scam-frau...ndez/11835348/

https://abc7.com/oc-college-student-...elle/11846830/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ment-promises/

"“Organized crime is rampant,” said John Buzzard, Javelin’s lead fraud analyst. “A couple years ago, we were just starting to talk about it” on apps like Zelle and Venmo, Mr. Buzzard said. “Now, it’s common and everywhere.”

The banks are aware of the widespread fraud on Zelle. When Mr. Faunce called Wells Fargo to report the crime, the customer service representative told him, “A lot of people are getting scammed on Zelle this way.” Getting ripped off for $500 was “actually really good,” Mr. Faunce said the rep told him, because “many people were getting hit for thousands of dollars.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/06/b...lle-banks.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City