Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 7,128 times

Advertisements

Today
Le Pain on 40th Street outside Bryant Park. $5. Decent enough quality. No major annoyances. The chairs and tables outside were actually cleaned of pigeon poop. I remember not long ago the tables and chairs had poop all over them every day, they never even cleaned it off most days the poop just accumulated. That is the sign of a dedicated cafe alright.

No gay propaganda so that was nice

$5, basically just to sit and get a fix of the drug caffeine and no other reason to patron these drug dens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 03:15 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,309,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esq-Johnny View Post
Today
Le Pain on 40th Street outside Bryant Park. $5. Decent enough quality. No major annoyances. The chairs and tables outside were actually cleaned of pigeon poop. I remember not long ago the tables and chairs had poop all over them every day, they never even cleaned it off most days the poop just accumulated. That is the sign of a dedicated cafe alright.

No gay propaganda so that was nice

$5, basically just to sit and get a fix of the drug caffeine and no other reason to patron these drug dens.
Their coffee is decent enough (they use organic coffee). It actually used to be better, but too inconsistent. I only get straight up espressos there. I don't buy their other coffee drinks.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:27 PM

870 posts, read 415,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esq-Johnny View Post
Most of the cafes in Manhattan are for child hipsters. It is like being at Toys R Us. Look at meee. Look how I live in NYCccc. Look at my rainbow flaggg. Buy my $5 plain coffee. I live in Brooklynnn. I am Liberalll

Let me show everyone on Instragrammm. Like, Oh My Goddd
I went to get a cup in Williamsburg a few months ago…. I hate when they ask me “what kind of milk?”, there’s only one kind of milk it’s called…. Milk… so to that unusually answer “umm just milk…” the guy at that place told me one of his customers, a girl (or maybe a they/them who knows) allowed herself to comment on a customer’s order with “regular milk” by condescendingly saying “uh! You’re a dying breed !!”

Old 12-06-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
I went to get a cup in Williamsburg a few months ago…. I hate when they ask me “what kind of milk?”, there’s only one kind of milk it’s called…. Milk… so to that unusually answer “umm just milk…” the guy at that place told me one of his customers, a girl (or maybe a they/them who knows) allowed herself to comment on a customer’s order with “regular milk” by condescendingly saying “uh! You’re a dying breed !!”
It's probably from the espresso drinks I purchase, but often times I am not asked. It's understood that I want whole milk in my espresso drink. This morning I was asked though. Place was one of the more hipster type places. If a get my regular barista at say La Colombe, "my usual" is a cortado in a gibraltar glass. No sugar. If the shot is pulled right and the drink made right, no sugar is needed unless it is straight espresso. Then I will add a packet or two of Sugar In The Raw to take off the bitterness a bit.

Old 12-06-2022, 08:14 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,133,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I can't even tolerate the smell walking by a McDonald's let alone going in one. It has such an artificial smell that it makes me feel nauseous.
Sure, but that sweet chemical laden bread smell walking past a Subway shop takes the cake for me. I really hate that artificial smell. Something wrong when baked bread smells sweeter than a donut.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:19 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,158,004 times
If you can find a Sagafredo's ,thats where its it. If they carry gelato,even better!!! Regular or cappuccino with a biscotti, snack of Champions!

Old 12-09-2022, 04:43 AM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Dinero View Post
by condescendingly saying “uh! You’re a dying breed !!

Don't let it get to you.
These live in the day cartoon characters won't even look a mean old Boomer like me in the eye
unless I set them straight with a rare smile.

Baristas with attitudes towards us older folks can expect a beautiful quote from Hannibal.

Sample: Ordering

Barista: A drab and rather mopey person "Yup."
Me: Full of Life " Clever! Hope this order is just as quick!"
Barista: Attitude changes. "What would you like?"
Me: "Tall Pike, black. "
Barista: Rolls eyes and Sighs..........." Anything else?"
Me: " I would like to try the Impossible Breakfast . Tell me Clarice, have the plants stopped Screaming?"
Barista: Dumbfounded
Me: " Never mind.....coffee will be all.

Hahahahahaha.....................

Old 12-09-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
3 in Midtown: Gregory, Seven Grams, Blank Slate
1 in West Village: Cafe Reggio
Up to 5 for the count In Noho/Soho: Think Coffee
+a 6th one in Brooklyn: Swallow Cafe

NYC still isn't dead for Cafe venues. Almost getting back to the level of 2003-2013: NYC at it's best.
Blank Slate is pretty good coffee wise, as long as the coffee is to stay (otherwise their espresso based drinks have too much milk for my taste), but the thing I like the most from there is an egg scramble with a toasted sesame bagel and cream cheese.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:38 AM

19 posts, read 7,521 times
I’d rather take the risk with McDonalds coffee and get shanked by a miscreant there than to encounter another smug weenie barista with their noodle armed snobbery.

Old 12-09-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Japanese Green Tea Matcha Latte is offered at Blank Slate in Midtown. Right with even Vietnamese Coffee! Asian coffee imports for North America. Have yet to try out actual foods. Or even Desserts.

Seven Grams Coffee is literally only two blocks down from Blank Slate. From 30th to 28th St/Madison. Their own Mocha's are quite Sweet. Especially when asked with extra Syrup.

Am having a lot of fun with up to 3 Cafe's in Midtown that I only found about recently just one month ago. Have to see what exact year Blank Slate, Seven Grams, Gregory opened in New York City. Right with the thriving December 7th Brooklyn one that reminds me of the formerly closed Urban Vintage.

Cafe Reggio was already around since 1920's! And Think Coffee on Mercer before at least 2010-2013.
I frequent that Seven Grams sometimes, and of late, I haven't been impressed. My previous cortado just tasted like warmed milk. Made properly with a head a such, but I kept wondering where the coffee was. It's the barista though (tall White guy). Anytime he makes my drink it's like that. I was further annoyed since I tipped before getting the drink. That usually gets you better service. Not this time...

There was a Asian chick that made me a GREAT cortado that I have not seen since (she was new and there was a guy training her). I was walking down the street that day drinking it and thinking how damn good it was. Those times when it's good enough to want another one, but you don't get one. lol She also asked if I wanted more milk. I declined because it was made correct the way a proper cortado should be made. Some places add too much milk. If I wanted a latte, I'd order one. I'm not sure why either, but here in the US, they seem to always want to butcher traditional espresso based drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City