Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You really dont know what you talkin about.
Maybe we have a difference of opinion because I'm probably more street savvy than you are. Are you one of those people that just look straight ahead when you come out of the subway? Or one of those that equate diversity with safety?

There were always people of different racial and ethnic groups throughout Harlem that is nothing new. It's new to the people that have moved there in the last few years.

I know all of Manhattan and the Bronx very well. I don't need to prove that to anyone, I work all over those 2 boros. I know uptown Manhattan extremely well. I have lived through all the changes of the past 20 years.

I only post on this forum for 2 reasons. To get information, or share what I know to be true. I don't just randomly post just to post and make up stuff. I'm also not one of the posters that bump others post, if I don't want others to read that persons post. That is starting to go on so much, that you know if certain people post, to read back and see what was written.

Anyway keep your head up and look around and observe.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:18 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Of course it is still 'ghetto' in a way, especially where the PJs are. But as long as you dont hang out there you should be fine. Also it is not that kind of 'ghetto' what people picture. They still have the ghettos from back in the day in their head. And that's not how it is anymore.

Now a days so many different kind of people live in Harlem, asians, caucasians, dominicans...whatever... you name it.
You are probably right. Thanks for posting about what you see in the area. I had an uncle, who lived with his wife in one of the housing projects in East Harlem and manage to raised three children there since living there in the 80's and 90's. But he just moved out about a year ago. He said that the changes in the area got much better after the 2000's. He said, he would stay, but they already had save enough money and already buy property in Puerto Rico.

I actually only visit him there once in the early 90's, but I was always scared to visit him again after that, and never visit him again. One of the kids went to jail for selling, the other one went to college and the other one moved with them to Puerto Rico. He is Colombian but married a Puerto Rican.

I am actually not that close to his family, but I talk to him once in a while. Now that he lives in Puerto Rico, I should try to reach him more. LOL

Last edited by cyrusjul; 02-04-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM

307 posts, read 2,507,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
You are probably right. Thanks for posting about what you see in the area. I had an uncle, who lived with his wife in one of the housing projects in East Harlem and manage to raised three children there since living there in the 80's and 90's. But he just moved out about a year ago. He said that the changes in the area got much better after the 2000's. He said, he would stay, but they already had save enough money and already buy property in Puerto Rico.

I actually only visit him there once in the early 90's, but I was always scared to visit him again after that, and never visit him again. One of the kids went to jail for selling, the other one went to college and the other one moved with them to Puerto Rico. He is Colombian but married a Puerto Rican.

I am actually not that close to his family, but I talk to him once in a while. Now that he lives in Puerto Rico, I should try to reach him more. LOL

But be aware of the fact the PR has one of the worst ghettos.

Let's hope he lives in a decent area.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Maybe we have a difference of opinion because I'm probably more street savvy than you are. Are you one of those people that just look straight ahead when you come out of the subway? Or one of those that equate diversity with safety?

There were always people of different racial and ethnic groups throughout Harlem that is nothing new. It's new to the people that have moved there in the last few years.

I know all of Manhattan and the Bronx very well. I don't need to prove that to anyone, I work all over those 2 boros. I know uptown Manhattan extremely well. I have lived through all the changes of the past 20 years.

I only post on this forum for 2 reasons. To get information, or share what I know to be true. I don't just randomly post just to post and make up stuff. I'm also not one of the posters that bump others post, if I don't want others to read that persons post. That is starting to go on so much, that you know if certain people post, to read back and see what was written.

Anyway keep your head up and look around and observe.
I understand where you coming from. I used to live in different parts of New York myself. So I would say I do know the streets and could judge if a situation seems to be safe or not.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
No actually I am a frequent visitor in Harlem. My school is located in W. Harlem so I know that like the back of my hand. Trust me, Amsterdam is still a ghetto strip. Dealers in every corner, decayed stores, GRAFFITI..etc etc. But I don't get what you're trying to say. Are you saying that E.Harlem is the better of the Harlems? If that is the case, I strongly disagree. Never mind ALL the housing projects but just look at the crime rate. It had one of the highest rates in the city. I will choose to look at stats before biased opinion because frankly you live there, so of course you're going to defend your neighborhood.

And like I said before, you CANT compare W. Harlem with East Harlem, or Central Harlem. I totally agree that certain parts of W. Harlem are bad. And the crime rate is probably higher there than in E. Harlem. And it has nothing to do with the fact that im living in this neighborhood. I dont say it doesnt has its ghetto flair, but it isnt the ghetto like back than.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:57 PM

59 posts, read 253,890 times
Harlem isn't that bad at all. Sure there are people selling weed here or there at night, but there are people selling weed in East Village at night! Come on, some parts of Harlem are edgier than others but as a whole Harlem is pretty safe. I come from North Philly but currently live in New York so I know if an area is safe or not. East New York and Brownsville is pretty dangerous especially at night, but besides that New York is mostly safe throughout the entire city. Some people see Projects and people standing on the corner and assume its dangerous but as long as you're street smart you can walk through the whole city and be cool.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
And like I said before, you CANT compare W. Harlem with East Harlem, or Central Harlem. I totally agree that certain parts of W. Harlem are bad. And the crime rate is probably higher there than in E. Harlem. And it has nothing to do with the fact that im living in this neighborhood. I dont say it doesnt has its ghetto flair, but it isnt the ghetto like back than.
Oh wow. You MUST be kidding. Listen it's not an opinion. It is FACT that East Harlem is among the WORST neighborhoods in the city. It makes W. Harlem look like the UWS. It puts many Bronx neighborhoods to shame. Look at the 2007 crime map. Look at all those projects. It's not even worth disscussing with you, since obiously you have blinders on.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
Harlem isn't that bad at all. Sure there are people selling weed here or there at night, but there are people selling weed in East Village at night! Come on, some parts of Harlem are edgier than others but as a whole Harlem is pretty safe. I come from North Philly but currently live in New York so I know if an area is safe or not. East New York and Brownsville is pretty dangerous especially at night, but besides that New York is mostly safe throughout the entire city. Some people see Projects and people standing on the corner and assume its dangerous but as long as you're street smart you can walk through the whole city and be cool.

exactly thats the key.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Oh wow. You MUST be kidding. Listen it's not an opinion. It is FACT that East Harlem is among the WORST neighborhoods in the city. It makes W. Harlem look like the UWS. It puts many Bronx neighborhoods to shame. Look at the 2007 crime map. Look at all those projects. It's not even worth disscussing with you, since obiously you have blinders on.

OK since you already looking at the crime rates, look at the crime rates in YOUR neighborhood compare to MY neighborhood. I bet the BX was more in the news than Harlem. The last time Harlem was in the news, it was because the fact that it's changing!!!

Besides whatever happens in the PJs stays in the PJs. It doesnt involve the whole neighborhood! Of course there is crime where PJs are. But damn it's not like you get shot 10 times a day. I was visiting PJs in different neighborhoods. And Im still alive. Like I said if you dont feel comfortable around the PJs, stay away from them. And you good.

Oh and if you find something to prove how high the crime rate is dont forget to post the source.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 253,890 times
But there are some neighborhoods in other cities where even if you are street smart you can get hurt or killed. There are part of New York that seem like they havent changed at all (ie. East new York, Jamaica Queens) but besides that New York is pretty much quiet. I've walked through 145th n Lenox at 3 in the morning with no problems whereas if I did such a thing in a bad neighborhood I'd get chopped, rocked or robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City