Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 PM

59 posts, read 238,227 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people come to this thread and complain about New Yorkers and the city they live in being better than NY? If you hate NY so much then there is a very simple solution to your problem DON'T COME HERE STAY YOUR A$$ IN YOUR OWN CITY YOUR NOT WANTED HERE..GO KICK ROCKS..LOL..BEAT IT..SCRAM..LOL!!

I going to go to Chicago and any other city I visit that hates New Yorkers wearing a Bloomberg BANDANA a I LOVE NYC LIVING T-SHIRT AND A GIULIANI BOOKBAG..THAT'LL TEACH EM..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM

20 posts, read 23,277 times
I'm going to make this one last post before i hit the sack.

SL63, I both agree and disagree with your comment. Chicago is definitely not some hick city in the midwest; it's a big city with a lot to offer. But having said that, from my experiences with the people there, Chicago does come across as provincial and very midwestern. It mainly attracts people from the midwest; a lot of the big 10 alums who grew up in small towns in iowa, indiana, wisconsin, etc., move to Chicago after school. So I guess that explains why Chicago has a different "feel" from NYC. Again, there's nothing wrong with that.

The nightlife is decent. I was actually disappointed with the lack of variety for a city that big. My good buddy has a lot of connections there, so we went to the "hot" clubs and lounges. They were ok, but not at the level of NYC.

whatever. this conversation is getting dull. gonna go to bed now.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:47 PM

629 posts, read 901,611 times
Im done defending Chicago. Believe what u want to believe about. Here's a stat I'd like you to compare. What percentage of ny'ers have roommates compared to Chicago? Or the rest of America? Some of these people are posting about Chicago like they actually visited, but it's obvious the havent. When I lived in Philly a girl at the bank said to me when flying over Chicago, "I couldnt believe how big the city was, U know, being out in the middle of a cornfield". I looked at her in amasement. I said, You know Chicago's population is double Philly's right? Didn't have a clue. Hey if a bunch of people would have posted how dirty and disgusting San Diego is, Id stick up for them then. Cause I know that aint the the truth. "NET TRAVELLING" and actually going to the place are 2 completly different things!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:52 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,743 times
That's exactly how I feel. Chicago has bad areas..but so does EVERY OTHER CITY. And btw I am from San Diego...it's gorgeous . I'm just here in NYC for the money. 'Tis fun, but I'm already OVER the club scene @ 23 (while I was never too much in it to begin with)..and while the money is great, with no offense to anyone, I could definitely stand to just visit here. I think it's a great experience for me while I'm a youngin'. I know that even when I move I will most likely be back every year to visit..but damn..I need a beach..and some happy people...or more value for my dollar....tehee!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 AM

I was OUT, they PULLED me back in! Crappy weather? I'll take a CHICAGO summer over a NYC anytime! NYC is Too hot and way too HUMID here all summer. Especially when u live by the lake (normally 5 degrees or so cooler than inland Chicago). Too Gritty and BLUE collar, now were talking! Actually, I guy from Chicago said that about my hometown of Pittsburgh and its People. I just smiled at him. Cause I think the average man who lives in Chicago is a MARY! Most of them moved to the city with their big jobs after college. Either from the subburbs or from some out of state Subburb. Blue collar is all I know. Ive seen the otherside and how they act and live. It's not where I fit in. And my pay checks are nothing to be bashful about. It aint the $, It's the mentility. It's how I was raised and where I was raised. I dont think too many of the guys I grew up loafing with back in Pittsburgh are brain surgeons. SL63, if u are a man, U have MARY tendidsies. If u r woman, a prude. To be completely honest though, so do alot of the guys running around Mannhattan. Alot of them just seem soft. I'm sure the NYC of 20 or 30 yrs was different, but now? How scary is an account making six firgures going to be?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:26 AM

page3000, Im probably ranting back to a bunch of early 20 something's. That's why some of these perspectives are so out of line with reality. Believe me, when I was your age, I thought the world revolved around NYC. Quality of life means alot more to a 35 yr old as opposed to a 25 yr old. And yes San Diego is GORGEOUS. Torgue is still into clubs and lounges. I aint, never was. I like bars, period. But that tells me, he probably aint his 40's yet, maybe not even his 30's. So he cant imagine life without the nyc club scene. Something I have to take into account when reading his post. I hope he aint in his 40's worried about the club scenes LOL...........

Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
Aside from New York I've lived in Connecticut (early years to age 12), Boston for 4 years (college) and in Bermuda for 2 years in my late 20's. So yes, I would love to try somewhere else less hectic and with more nature. But once you've lived here for a long time its hard to figure out where to go. Another city though? HELL NO. This is the best.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I've travelled all over the U.S.. 47 states, every major city, and every strech of interstate from begining to end! Most states, half a dozen times. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. Lived in Chicago off an on since 99'. Lived in Philly for awhile too. NYC is OVER RATED! I'm been here quite a few times since my early 20's. I was way more impressed with it back then, compared to now that I'm my mid 30's. Spent 4 months here last yr. And 2 months so far this yr. Now, that being said, if you got some BIG job here, I can see your point of view. But most working stiffs can't afford, or could less about broadway, and all the other culture stuff. Maybe all of you people are at broadway plays, the opera, musuems, etc. night and day. There again, if you do, I can see your point of view. But what percentage of the average nyc working stiff does any of that ,on any kind regular basis? Not only because of the cost, just because they don't have any interest in it! I'm a blue collar guy. I work construction ( union BOILERMAKER ). Now believe me, I do ok for a blue collar worker. And my scale is higher in nyc than elsewhere. But look what is cost to rent a crappy apt. And forget about buying one here! The average ny'er would love Chicago over NYC if they seen the neighborhoods and the rent prices! $800 a month for a nice 1 bedroom, walk to the lake and beaches. I also make pretty good buc working in Chicago too. And the dollar goes way further! If you were born here that's different. Or the job thing. I thought the Pittsburgh'ers were sensitive! Get a grip !The quality of daily life in Chicago is way better! There's no contest. 100 grand a yr in nyc, is like 40 anywhere else. What gets me is how many people here are impressed with 50 or 60 grand a yr jobs (outer boroughs of course). They're bragging to me about it, then they walk into their beat up apts, who they share with mommy and daddy. And there 30! I don't get ALL the HYPE! Neither should you!

You say tomaytoe and I say tomahtoe or in other words, to each their own....NYC is a amazing, fabulous, unbelieveable,expensive, overcrowded, bustle metropolis that defies explanation......is it the best city on Earth? Depends on who you talk to! But to the world, it is a mecca and can not be duplicated....

Old 08-15-2008, 07:15 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Yes; I know citadel. i got offered an analyst job there senior year in college. It's a great firm; they do interesting work, and ken griffin is remarkably gifted. But with all due respect, I'm not quite sure what that proves. In my opinion, citadel is the only financial firm in Chicago that can be considered truly elite. The vast majority of the best hedge funds, private equity firms, etc., are in NYC, london, and greenwich.

welder, i was referring mainly to mahattan and brooklyn. i admit that bronx, staten island, and queens, aren't that great, but the other two boroughs are awesome. although i spend most of my time in manhattan, i go out to brooklyn reasonably often to check out restaurants, bars, and various house parties.

regarding price, yes NYC is expensive. and if money is a huge issue, then it's not the right city for you.
you're crazy, Queens is awesome

Old 08-15-2008, 07:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I've travelled all over the U.S.. 47 states, every major city, and every strech of interstate from begining to end! Most states, half a dozen times. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. Lived in Chicago off an on since 99'. Lived in Philly for awhile too. NYC is OVER RATED! I'm been here quite a few times since my early 20's. I was way more impressed with it back then, compared to now that I'm my mid 30's. Spent 4 months here last yr. And 2 months so far this yr. Now, that being said, if you got some BIG job here, I can see your point of view. But most working stiffs can't afford, or could less about broadway, and all the other culture stuff. Maybe all of you people are at broadway plays, the opera, musuems, etc. night and day. There again, if you do, I can see your point of view. But what percentage of the average nyc working stiff does any of that ,on any kind regular basis? Not only because of the cost, just because they don't have any interest in it! I'm a blue collar guy. I work construction ( union BOILERMAKER ). Now believe me, I do ok for a blue collar worker. And my scale is higher in nyc than elsewhere. But look what is cost to rent a crappy apt. And forget about buying one here! The average ny'er would love Chicago over NYC if they seen the neighborhoods and the rent prices! $800 a month for a nice 1 bedroom, walk to the lake and beaches. I also make pretty good buc working in Chicago too. And the dollar goes way further! If you were born here that's different. Or the job thing. I thought the Pittsburgh'ers were sensitive! Get a grip !The quality of daily life in Chicago is way better! There's no contest. 100 grand a yr in nyc, is like 40 anywhere else. What gets me is how many people here are impressed with 50 or 60 grand a yr jobs (outer boroughs of course). They're bragging to me about it, then they walk into their beat up apts, who they share with mommy and daddy. And there 30! I don't get ALL the HYPE! Neither should you!
I am from Brooklyn born and raised also lived on Long Island. I have lived in Six cities in three states. I have been to Chicago, Dallas, Fort Worth, New Orleans, Philly, DC, Atlanta, Tampa, Fort lauderdale, Miami and a dozen cities in between.

New York can be expensive yes, but so can many other places. It depends on what standard of living you want to maintain. I can go get a 1 bedroom in parts of Brooklyn for 800 a month of I wanted. No, it wont be Park Slope but it will suit my needs. As long as dudes aren't outside my building shooting, fighting or selling drugs and as long as I don't have to live with roaches and rats, I am good. Thats all I ask for. I think a lot of people who complain about how much NYC is, are people who want to live outside their means. They come to NYC after watching sex in the city and think "thats how I want to live". They need to put their heads back in reality. Don't blame NYC or NYers because YOU didn't do your research on what it is to live in that city and what different price ranges for rent gets you.

As far as you pointing out Broadway thats sort of ridiculous. You act like that is all NYC has to offer. You want to go chill in summer or spring, hit up central park, go chill in Union square, prospect park and countless other parks. Oh and guess what, they have events in those parks *who would have thought it*. Same goes for Grand Central, they have events some times too. I mean, there is tons to do in that city. Check out summer streets 2008 where pedestrians can go do their thing thing. Go uptown to harlem, hit up the Malcom Shabbaz Harlem Market for some African wears/goods. Love hip hop? Go to Bk in check out the hip hop bodega festival in July. I can go on and on about all the stuff you can do in that city. You like photography, NYC has some of the best architecture and landscapes in the world. You want to go listen to lectures and educate yourself, well guess what. You have some of the best higher learning institutions in the world (NYU, Columbia, St. Johns) and they have lectures that are open to the public from time to time.

I live down south now, but desperately trying to move back home (NYC). Here I have to pay high ass gas prices to go ANYWHERE. And I sweat a LOT so going out for me means feeling like a pig in all this filthy humidity. All events here you have to pay to go. NYC, I pay my month fee for my pass and I am good. I can find tons of stuff to do with me and the fam for FREE. NYC is very doable, and can be tons of fun. I think if you don't do research and find out what that place has to offer then yeah you are going to think NYC = Broadway and overly expensive, but as fela kuti once said, "it no be so". This is the age of information, hit the internet up and see what is out there. Trust me, NYC has FAR more going on than most cities and for FREE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City