Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion is crime citywide up or down since 2005?
Up 89 47.85%
Down 97 52.15%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:40 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You probably never really dealt with it that much since you weren't a teen or in a gang. The few times I've been in Corona I didn't feel unsafe at all. But it might be different for kids actually growing up there.
lol, I've walked around Corona a lot when I was a teenager since it borders my neighborhood and Elmhurst where most of my childhood friends were born. I haven't seen anything shady, but alas, it's entirely possible that it has a large gang presence.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
lol, I've walked around Corona a lot when I was a teenager since it borders my neighborhood and Elmhurst where most of my childhood friends were born. I haven't seen anything shady, but alas, it's entirely possible that it has a large gang presence.
How old are you now? I'm 27 and the gang thing wasn't as much of a problem when I was a teen. That definitely has gotten worse.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:25 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
lets add to the crime thread....whats the most violent crime you have seen?

for me the most shocking one is where i saw somebody get robbed in a pizza shop with a gun in broad daylight....while i was eating my pizza in my hometown, far rock.

i have seen people get stabbed before but for some reason the roberry sticks out as the worst.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-11-2009, 12:38 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
How old are you now? I'm 27 and the gang thing wasn't as much of a problem when I was a teen. That definitely has gotten worse.
I'm about to be 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

for me the most shocking one is where i saw somebody get robbed in a pizza shop with a gun in broad daylight....while i was eating my pizza in my hometown, far rock.

i have seen people get stabbed before but for some reason the roberry sticks out as the worst.
I've seen people get robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight, but for me, watching one of my friend's get stabbed right in front of me in broad daylight with a crobar (I didn't think this was possible, until I saw it), is much worse than those other incidents.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:59 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

My most violent wouldnt be appropiate for the thread but one day in harlem when i was like 15(1996) I saw a guy fall to his death (he was murdered) from the project rooftop 15 stories high!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 PM

47 posts, read 168,263 times
Maybe the New York Post's crime blotter will help the thread: NYPD DAILY BLOTTER - New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm - broken link)

I have to say, I've been wanting to move to NYC for a while now, but even though crime is improving, all the news I hear makes me consider Nassau instead. After the rape in the subway recently and the Albanian man beating the two women, I don't know about bringing my girlfriend here.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:31 PM

674 posts, read 1,814,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosX View Post
Maybe the New York Post's crime blotter will help the thread: NYPD DAILY BLOTTER - New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/news/nypdblotter/nypdblotter.htm - broken link)

I have to say, I've been wanting to move to NYC for a while now, but even though crime is improving, all the news I hear makes me consider Nassau instead. After the rape in the subway recently and the Albanian man beating the two women, I don't know about bringing my girlfriend here.

Depends where in the city your moving to? Also if going to nassau I suggest eastern nassau because western nassau has basically become queens.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 PM

47 posts, read 168,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Depends where in the city your moving to? Also if going to nassau I suggest eastern nassau because western nassau has basically become queens.
Well I want to live in Sunnyside, which I hear is very safe, but we would both be working in Manhattan.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosX View Post
Well I want to live in Sunnyside, which I hear is very safe, but we would both be working in Manhattan.
Also consider if your going to be renting. If that is the case, Queens is better. Unless you have purchased property I don't really recommend living in LI. I don't think its worth the trouble in that case, especially if your going to be working in NYC. It's further away and more of a hassle to get into the city (Manhattan). The LIRR is overpriced and can be very unreliable in bad weather. Plus as some have pointed out, crime wise, certain sections of Nassau are just as bad if not worse than many neighborhoods in Queens.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
I'm about to be 20.

I've seen people get robbed at gunpoint in broad daylight, but for me, watching one of my friend's get stabbed right in front of me in broad daylight with a crobar (I didn't think this was possible, until I saw it), is much worse than those other incidents.
Well your not that far removed from the current teens, and you said you were around there a lot. You probably know better than me. Personally like I said before I never really felt unsafe the times I've been in Corona. Not the cleanest looking neighborhood that's for sure though. Very dingy looking, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City