Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,661 times

Advertisements

Camden,

You are wrong. I'm not biased, because I don't live in neither but you are comparing a HUGE area of Los Angeles county to the tiny 23 mile island known as New York County. New York County = Manhattan.

Why are you comparing the tiny 23 square mile island of Manhattan to the entire 10 million populated/4061 square mile monstrous Los Angeles County/LA metro population? New York City is actually Queens County, New York County (Manhattan) County, Bronx County, Kings County (Brooklyn), and Richmond County (Staten Island).

Los Angeles County and New York City are both equal at about 13,000 going both ways.

BUT it isn't fair to compare the City of New York to the entire LA metro (Pasadena. Long Beach, etc), so if we play it fair and compare the two metropolitan areas, you will see more people leave LA and move to New York than the other way around.

So I guess NY is better afterall?

Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
I'd totally forgotten about this thread. But, what I meant about CA setting trends in education is that their public colleges and universities are the top in this nation. What they do in terms of admissions, curricula etc are all followed by the rest of the country. Second or a tie really to the Ivy League schools of this country.

You can debate this but I was told this by professors in NYC who were educated and obtained Phd's from MIT and Ivy Leagues such as Yale, Harvard and Columbia. So you can disagree, but the consensus in academia is otherwise.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 AM

225 posts, read 1,090,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisFR1 View Post
Camden,

You are wrong. I'm not biased, because I don't live in neither but you are comparing a HUGE area of Los Angeles county to the tiny 23 mile island known as New York County. New York County = Manhattan.

Why are you comparing the tiny 23 square mile island of Manhattan to the entire 10 million populated/4061 square mile monstrous Los Angeles County/LA metro population? New York City is actually Queens County, New York County (Manhattan) County, Bronx County, Kings County (Brooklyn), and Richmond County (Staten Island).

Los Angeles County and New York City are both equal at about 13,000 going both ways.

BUT it isn't fair to compare the City of New York to the entire LA metro (Pasadena. Long Beach, etc), so if we play it fair and compare the two metropolitan areas, you will see more people leave LA and move to New York than the other way around.

So I guess NY is better afterall?
Sorry, but that isn't right. Look again and check your math. It doesn't matter what you're looking at--LA county and NY county, or LA county and the 5 boroughs. If you compare consistent areas you always get more people moving west.

I'm not arguing LA is superior to New York. See my earlier thread. New York is great.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
Oh Please ! People in L.A don't feel Inferior to New Yorkers,but it's New Yorkers such as yourself who think your Superior to every other City in America and in the World.

My advice to you..Get over yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
C'mon.. We all know that LA has an inferiority complex to NYC.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:24 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Yes we definitely have a Superiority complex in NYC. The only way to help us out is to just keep on reminding us of how crappy the rest of the country truly is! ;-)

Old 07-23-2007, 06:46 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight outta camden View Post
People here were even a little disappointed that Al-Qaeda failed to hit it on 9/11.
That's just really stupid. Are they psychos? They were mad that they failed to hit LA on 9/11/01 or they were mad they didn't hit New York last year on 9/11?

Old 08-11-2007, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 21,552 times
Default los angeles is crappy

i live in la because of my work. thats the only reason. the city is full of crime and trash. a city with a middle class who can't afford to buy a house, unless you are comfortable living in neighborhoods full of crime and garbage.

the only thing remotely happening at night is the sunset strip which if you've been there 5 times you;ve seen everything there. what else is there to do in la? see the "getty museum? " people talk more about the architecture of the building than whats actually inside the museum. just like LA, looks good on the outside but nothing of substance on the inside.

LA has nothing of substance that any other big city in america has. comparing la to new york is a joke.

someone said something about the "education system". are you kidding me. some of my friends who teach school say the schools are filled with kids who can barely read and write english.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:28 AM

venice beach....a bunch of hippies doing ridiculous things...funny the first time you go

beverly hills: high end shopping(many cities offer this)

santa monica pier: are you kidding me...like two rides and crappy art

downtown renovation: ive been down there a lot. they are trying to create a fake art community. there is nothing cool down there except a handful of good japanese restaurants.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:37 AM

i read someone wrote they enjoyed the "greenery" in la. there is no green, its a desert.

the weather is nice if you like one season year round, and the mountains are beautiful if you can see them through the smog a few days out of the year.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:38 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,188 times
I agree. When Im in So Cal it just feels wrong that so many people live where there is so little water naturally. It just dosnt feel right to have such a big city there. But I guess Im not used to it so thats just my take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City