Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 PM

3 posts, read 14,519 times

Advertisements

Since my question got hijacked I'm going to ask it one more time. When I am on the pills I don't have any panic attacks. Will they allow me to operate a train on the medication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:25 AM

15 posts, read 56,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA Hopeful View Post
Since my question got hijacked I'm going to ask it one more time. When I am on the pills I don't have any panic attacks. Will they allow me to operate a train on the medication?
Hi, this may be a common sense question I can answer for your understanding. This is a discretion with the MTA and the doctors will run tests on you to determine that you're not a risk to the public.

Think about it, if you take your daily meds you won't have a panic attack thats good. But suppose you do forget and abruptly you have a panic attack that can cause harm to the lives of many commuters. How would you feel if that ever occurred because you never took your meds.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo659 View Post
Hi, this may be a common sense question I can answer for your understanding. This is a discretion with the MTA and the doctors will run tests on you to determine that you're not a risk to the public.

Think about it, if you take your daily meds you won't have a panic attack thats good. But suppose you do forget and abruptly you have a panic attack that can cause harm to the lives of many commuters. How would you feel if that ever occurred because you never took your meds.
All true; it'll be up to the discretion of MTA after your call-up. But I have to be honest and say that the odds aren't the best. A train operator subject to panic attacks could definitely be considered a safety risk to the riding public. But perhaps there are conditions; for example, what would usually set off a panic attack? (Remember that you'll be operating in a confined space, taking trains through tunnels or up on elevated structures. Should something or someone activate the emergency brake, you'd be the person responsible to walk around that train in order to find the cause--and it makes no difference where that happens to be. In the middle of a dark tunnel, up on the Williamsburg Bridge during a snowstorm, whatever. Do you think that even with medications, you'd be OK under such conditions?)

Old 07-28-2011, 03:05 PM

243 posts, read 1,334,160 times
Quote:

As I believe was previously stated , it will be up to the examining doctor during your medical to make that call. Nobody here can tell you yes or no with any certainty. I know that sucks that you would like a yes or no answer and I understand , but the reality is it will be up to your doctor. If I had to take a guess , I would guess it would be an issue that you will either be disqualified for or at the least be put on medical hold and sent to your doctors for an evaluation. What you have in your favor is you claim medication controls it , so that may help you pass the medical. I don't know.

As Fred stated , if you get the job you will be required to walk tunnels alone , structures in inclement weather , on bridges , climb down in between subway cars , step over third rails , walk tracks , add trains in yards by slowly crashing them together. If that will bring on an attack , you would have a problem on this job.

Good luck , post back how you make out when you get the call.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM

...And let's not forget dealing with our passengers! Just because someone is sitting up front as the train operator, that doesn't mean there won't be people banging on your cab window to throw questions at you. Yeah, that's supposed to be something the conductor has to deal with. But huge numbers of people don't draw distinctions between the two job titles. On the other hand, if you can get through a day without some passenger or other bringing on a panic attack (to say nothing of raising your blood pressure), then welcome to the club!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:01 AM

15 posts, read 69,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
...And let's not forget dealing with our passengers! Just because someone is sitting up front as the train operator, that doesn't mean there won't be people banging on your cab window to throw questions at you. Yeah, that's supposed to be something the conductor has to deal with. But huge numbers of people don't draw distinctions between the two job titles. On the other hand, if you can get through a day without some passenger or other bringing on a panic attack (to say nothing of raising your blood pressure), then welcome to the club!
Customers don't really bother the train operator for anything. When i do get to big stations like 34, 42 I open my window. Hardly anyone bothers me.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 AM

15 posts, read 69,567 times
Quote:
Hi guys. I am currently taking Clonazepam (Klonopin) for mild panic attacks, and Lexapro for anxiety and depression. Does this disqualify me for the position of train operator? Or do I just have to make sure I am off those pills before they call me?
Your chance on getting hired are slim to none. The side affects of the medication will call for an immediate disqualifications

Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 AM

3 posts, read 7,714 times
Hi Everyone. Has anyone heard any info regarding how far along they are on the promotional list. Are they going to start calling from the open competitive list before year end? Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance

Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 40,914 times
can anyone please clarify the eyes portion of the medical. do they test both eyes individually or is both at once ?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich168 View Post
can anyone please clarify the eyes portion of the medical. do they test both eyes individually or is both at once ?
Both of your eyes will be tested. If you've ever had an eye exam, you should know what to expect; first one eye, then the other, then both. (Is there a reason you might want it any other way?)

Incidentally, the main things they're looking for are color-blindness and depth perception. But let's be honest: if you can't distinguish between the colors of the signal lights, you'd have a hard time as a train operator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City