Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times

Advertisements

When you get called up, you'll spend your first day at an orientation session. There, it will be explained to you that you should tell the truth on your official application form. If you do, MTA will not hold it against you; but if you don't, you'll be fired when they complete their investigation.

When I was hired, there were two people who had records. One told the truth; he's still a coworker. The other didn't think it was important because it was a minor incident and had happened years before, so he left it off the form. Guess what happened to him? He was let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 29,393 times
Thanks for the reply. I have zero issue with telling the truth and putting it on the form. I know a record would show up, regardless. My concern is that another city agency (law enforcement) did hold it against me and I was ineligible for employment. I was trying to find out if that would be the case with the MTA?

Who conducts the investigation? MTA, NYPD, DCAS?

Also my list number is in the 700's. Would I have a strong chance of being appointed with the MTA, assuming I met all of their qualifications and standards?

I have been reading the forum for a while. We all appreciate your (and Motorman Mike) information and feedback.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:10 AM

I believe MTA conducts the investigation, although I do know that you're fingerprinted and the prints are sent to the FBI. Always keep in mind: a job that puts you out there in front of the public is classified as "safety sensitive," thus the fingerprinting.

Your list number is relative, because there are always people in front of you on the list who won't report when called, for whatever reason.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:16 PM

243 posts, read 1,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsliz View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have zero issue with telling the truth and putting it on the form. I know a record would show up, regardless. My concern is that another city agency (law enforcement) did hold it against me and I was ineligible for employment. I was trying to find out if that would be the case with the MTA?

Who conducts the investigation? MTA, NYPD, DCAS?

Also my list number is in the 700's. Would I have a strong chance of being appointed with the MTA, assuming I met all of their qualifications and standards?

I have been reading the forum for a while. We all appreciate your (and Motorman Mike) information and feedback.

Arrests mean nothing. Convictions are what will be a problem. For Example , there are two applicants - One was arrested for murder , convicted , went to prison for 18 years , had the conviction OVERTURNED and was released. He now has NO convictions , even though he spent 18 years in prison. He can be hired.

Applicant number two is arrested for a drunken bar fight where he broke a guys nose. He pleads guilty to felony assault , pays a fine , does five years probation , never spends a day in jail. He has a CONVICTION. He may not be hired for the position of Train Operator. I am not talking about other titles , such as cleaner , only Train Operator.

On the background application they do not ask you to list arrests. Only convictions. If you do not have convicitions , you have no convictions. You don't need to volunteer an arrest record if you have no convictions.

They will print you. If you lie about anything , they will know. But you could have been arrested 50 times , if you were never CONVICTED of anything , you are fine.

They do an inkless fingerprinting on a computer and it's sent to the FBI which lets them know immediately if you are ok to hire. It's kind of like an instant background check , for example like is done in cities or states where someone can purchase a firearm , unlike new york.

If the FBI says you are not OK to hire , they don't tell the MTA why , the MTA just let's you know you are disqualified. If the FBI says you ARE OK to hire , then the MTA does not have to hire you , but it then becomes their option.

If someone were arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession with no prior record , you most likely got an ACD and had the case dismissed six months later , therefore you have no convictions.

The MTA does drug test both for hiring , for incidents , for cause , and random drug tests. In four and a half years , I have been drug tested between hiring and randoms about seven times. So if you do like to use anything you shouldn't , or if you have a drinking problem and you want to be a train operator , you are going to have to give it up fast. If you don't have a problem , then nothing to worry about.

For misdemeanor convictions the MTA can hire on a case by case basis. They will not hire you for Train Operator with felony convictions. Even certain misdemeanors will likely disqualify and applicant from T/O.

The bottom line is , don't lie , they will find out , but don't volunteer anything you are not directly asked about , and you will be fine.

Good luck

PS - About the driving record , You must disclose it. As long as you don't owe any money for any fines you may have received , my guess is you should be ok.

PSS - To poster concerned about the eye exam - They do test your vision obviously. It is a pretty thorough test. I am not sure if being color blind is a disqualification because as long as you can see where a signal is lit (ie - the top , middle , or bottom) you will know what to do at each signal. However , I will ask around and see if I can get any further feedback. If you are disqualified just in case , contact a civil service lawyer. They have numbers in the paper The Chief for them , and ask for firther advice.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:33 AM

7 posts, read 40,914 times
At the time you are called up, how far back does the mta want you to go in past employment?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:41 AM

292 posts, read 705,119 times
They wanted to know every job I had held since high school, which in my case went back 26 years. I had to go to the Social Security Office and pay for an employment history.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,327 times
Can they find out about sealed records though?

On page 3 it says before you answer question 2
(Were you ever convicted of an offense anywhere?)
please read this carefully.

"You DO NOT have to disclose any material sealed, expunged or
set aside under Federal or State law, or juvenile delinquent or
youthful offender adjudications."

I went to my local courthouse to get a disposition of a misdemeanor
which happened 20 years ago even though it is a sealed record.

Years ago I applied for a job(package sorting facility at FedEx) and was hired, they ran a background
investigation(fingerprints) through a private company. Maybe the MTA does a more thorough background search.

Some people tell me to disclose it, others say that I don't have to.
This is for a bus operator exam by the way.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Years ago I applied for a job(package sorting facility at FedEx) and was hired, they ran a background
investigation(fingerprints) through a private company. Maybe the MTA does a more thorough background search.
Quite possibly--because you'll be in front of the public, and therefore in a 'safety sensitive' job. That probably wasn't the case when you were sorting packages.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 16,780 times
Hello, I took an exam #8011 and they started calling people off of the list on June 1 of this year, I am #733 and they are up to list #624, how l likely am I to be called and how soon does anyone think?? Thank you.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:06 PM

16 posts, read 92,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden694 View Post
Hello, I took an exam #8011 and they started calling people off of the list on June 1 of this year, I am #733 and they are up to list #624, how l likely am I to be called and how soon does anyone think?? Thank you.
This thread is for Train Operators not station agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City