Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 01:31 PM

88 posts, read 261,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I never heard of somebody getting disqualified from transit for having a bad credit history. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks man for the heads up, its not that my credit is bad I was just worrying if I should payoff my credit card and a couple other little things I just dont want ANYTHING to disqualify me but thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,814 times
i just received from dcas an education and experince results for train operator....what does that mean?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:31 PM

17 posts, read 35,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post
i just received from dcas an education and experince results for train operator....what does that mean?
Hello all this is my first post here. I also received a letter today from DCAS that stated:

"Congratulations. You have been found qualified in the education and experience test for train operator 8098."

Does this mean that they could possibly call me for an interview in the not-so-distant future? Took test 8098 back in the summer of 2009, and I had almost abandoned hope that I may be hired by the MTA.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:03 PM

243 posts, read 1,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregunta View Post
Hello all this is my first post here. I also received a letter today from DCAS that stated:

"Congratulations. You have been found qualified in the education and experience test for train operator 8098."

Does this mean that they could possibly call me for an interview in the not-so-distant future? Took test 8098 back in the summer of 2009, and I had almost abandoned hope that I may be hired by the MTA.

Depending on your list number , it's possible. There have been a lot of promotions lately. I have seen several conductors I used to know having just been promoted to train operator , and the schooling takes six months so they got the call over six months ago. So the promotional list is moving .

My honest guess , and I am not posting this like I actually KNOW or have any inside info , but my educated guess is I think people with list numbers in the top 1000 who are qualified with education and experience could get the call for further processing within the next 18 months. So if you have a list number in the top 1000 I would be cautiously optimistic if I were you right now. Good luck.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregunta View Post

What list number are you guys??? Im 699 on test 8098 im dying for that letter hahaha...keep us posted guys and thanks Motorman Mike for the info

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin08 View Post
What list number are you guys??? Im 699 on test 8098 im dying for that letter hahaha...keep us posted guys and thanks Motorman Mike for the info

I got that notice today as well, it's not really a letter. It's the same type of notice as when they mail you your score/list number,
you have to tear off the edges carefully.

My list number is out of reach(low 4,000's), maybe the mail gets to you slower, but you should get it any day now.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM

6 posts, read 25,795 times
I'm 1555 with a 93%. I'm so happy to find out the list is alive and well

Last edited by Jabsalt; 11-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Rephrase

Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 PM

16 posts, read 92,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
Depending on your list number , it's possible. There have been a lot of promotions lately. I have seen several conductors I used to know having just been promoted to train operator , and the schooling takes six months so they got the call over six months ago. So the promotional list is moving .

My honest guess , and I am not posting this like I actually KNOW or have any inside info , but my educated guess is I think people with list numbers in the top 1000 who are qualified with education and experience could get the call for further processing within the next 18 months. So if you have a list number in the top 1000 I would be cautiously optimistic if I were you right now. Good luck.
Hey MotormanMike thanks for the update. I talked to a t/o that I know who retired earlier this year. He said all he has been doing lately is going to retirement parties. He said it seems like t/o's are retiring at a record pace. Does it seem like this is the case from your view? Also how many vacation/sick days do t/o's get? Cant seem to find that info anywhere. I got list #190, hoping to get called by next summer. As always thanks for the info.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I got that notice today as well, it's not really a letter. It's the same type of notice as when they mail you your score/list number,
you have to tear off the edges carefully.

My list number is out of reach(low 4,000's), maybe the mail gets to you slower, but you should get it any day now.
Haha im in Rhode Island so im prob a day or so behind every1 getting letters in the NYC area, but hopefully 2day or tommorrow.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 AM

243 posts, read 1,334,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagenius69 View Post
Hey MotormanMike thanks for the update. I talked to a t/o that I know who retired earlier this year. He said all he has been doing lately is going to retirement parties. He said it seems like t/o's are retiring at a record pace. Does it seem like this is the case from your view? Also how many vacation/sick days do t/o's get? Cant seem to find that info anywhere. I got list #190, hoping to get called by next summer. As always thanks for the info.

There have been some retirements. Those retirements are being filled by the promotional list right now. 190 as a list number is excellent , so I would be very optimistic if I were you.

We get 12 sick days a year. You get them May 1st every year. You get them up front for the year. You can carry unused days from year to year. In fact , it is encouraged. If you retire with over 50% of your total sick time still in the bank , the MTA will pay you for 50% of those days. Example , 12 days a year times 25 years to retirement = 260 days. Let's say you retire with 125 days in the bank. It's under 50% , so you get nothing. Let's say you have 200 days in the bank. MTA pays you for 100.

On the one hand you get a lump sum check for a lot of days. On the other side , you are getting screwed out of half your time. Some guys think the system is good , some think it sucks. Once you come sown here you will quickly find you will either be motivated to use your time when you are sick so you don't give anything back when you are gone , OR you will be motivated to never call out sick so you can get a nice fat lump sum check one day. It's a matter of perspective.

The MTA has a strict sick policy and down here if you go out sick , you need to get doctors lines on an MTA form. They don't accept doctors notes. They have a very strict in depth sick policy that you will be filled in on if you get hired. For your first year until May 1st , you will earn 1 sick day a month until May 1st. So if you get hired say in Oct 12 , you will get a day in Nov , Dec , etc. until May then get 12 more May 1st.

While you are on probation , which is your first year from the day you are hired and that includes the time you spend in training which will be almost six months , so about half that , you can be dismissed as the MTA's discretion. That is standard civil service policy and applies to cops , firefighters , etc. DO NOT call out sick more than once when you are on probation. Twice if you are almost dead. Your work record will be reviewed before the end of your first year and you can be dismissed before the end of your probation if you are red flagged for sick time abuse.

Vacation time is pro-rated during the year you get hired. Then for the 1st 3 calendar years (note CALENEDAR , Jan 1st to Dec 31st , not YOUR anniversary date) you get 2 weeks vacation a year. After you complete 3 full calendar years (so let's say you got hired Jan 3rd 2012 , all 2012 would not count) you get 1 month. After 15 calendar years , you get 5 weeks.

You can bank up to 5 days (one week) to use at your discretion (that is , with crew assignments approval , you just can't call and take a day unless it's a verifiable emergency , and you must support that with documentation). Then you can take the remaining time as you wish , subject to your seniority. Let's say you have a month , like I get now , you can save a week and take three off , take off a full month , do two weeks and two weeks , take one and three , four individual weeks , etc. The catch is , again , based on seniority. Count for the first few years on vacationing sometime during January thru April.

The contract is going to be up in January of 2012 and Management and the Union will negotitate a new contract. During negotiations anything can happen. We can get more , give givebacks , or stay the same , so what I am telling you now is what the deal is until the next contract. My guess is that things will mostly stay the same , but who knows. The powers that be will work it out.

You have a good list number , good luck , hope to see you down here one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City