U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
14 posts, read 44,305 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I am a 27 yr old girl planning to move to NYC in Summer of 2010. By then I will have 10K saved and 4 years of professional work experience (2 yrs: Applications Support Analyst (Self Storage Company) 2yrs: Financial Systems Analyst (HSBC Bank )).

I understand that it isn't going to be easy, I plan on having a roommate the first yr living there. I don't mind if I have to commute 40 minutes to work for starters until I am more stable financially. I don't have much debt. 18K in student loans where I can go down to paying a min of $160/month. Cell Phone bill of $90/month. Other expenses I will incur for living in NYC when I move I expect like rent, utilities, transportation and food.

Question:

1. Work: Given my background, how easy will it be for me to get a job in the city? How long is the average time for somene to get a job in the city? I am not a fresh graduate so will I have an upper hand?

2. Living: I don't know too many people in the city I can rely on. So I am planning to crash at a couple friends place here and there for a week and then move into hostels. This way I can explore some neighborhoods without commiting to anything. Has anyone done that before?

3. Resume: I would like to apply for jobs from where I am but does it decrease my chances of call back not having a NYC address.

I can't think of whatelse to ask or say. Any advice will be appreciated. IT would be great if someone can share their experience of moving, how they did it etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,755 posts, read 25,542,103 times
Reputation: 6681
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for some good tips on moving to the city.

Insofar as hostels, I'm not sure that they would be the best avenue to finding a place. You could search for a short-term sublet, or roommate sublet in a decent area (even if a little far), and then have time to explore. It would be difficult to live in a hostel and search for an apartment and a job at the same time.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
14 posts, read 44,305 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for some good tips on moving to the city.

Insofar as hostels, I'm not sure that they would be the best avenue to finding a place. You could search for a short-term sublet, or roommate sublet in a decent area (even if a little far), and then have time to explore. It would be difficult to live in a hostel and search for an apartment and a job at the same time.

Thank you for your advice and the tip, I will keep that in mind. I actually found a site called easyroommates.com seems pretty good for roomies search. I also found a young professional networking site and I will start applying for jobs right after the holidays. I am actually visiting the city again in January to check out neighborhoods and to reaffirm that I do in fact want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
 
937 posts, read 3,014,271 times
Reputation: 613
Are you still with HSBC or left on good terms? I'm sure you could find a job with them in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side, NYC
404 posts, read 1,227,140 times
Reputation: 284
A few things...

Yes you can move to nyc. Keep in mind the rules of getting here and making it are not the same as they would be with a move to say, LA, or Chicago. First of all, get SOME SORT of income and GET HERE. This doesnt mean your dream job and a soho loft. This could mean a temp position and a Mod cut bedroom in brooklyn. Once your here, the real assimilation begins. It's going to take some time to adjust to the cost of living, and the sacrifices you'll need to make with quality of life standards, such as space, commute time etc. If it's been your dream to live in New York, none of these will matter, the city will push you to be better, to acheive at a higher level. This is the major leagues. Sure, you can start for a AA team in another city, but for those of us that dream of playing in the big leaugeus, there isnt any other option. NYC is the only choice. I get this. I felt that way. This being the case, you'll be willing to make short term sacrifcies for long term opportunity; opportunities that arent available to you in any other city. Anybody who argues with this either hasnt truly experienced the wonder of new york, or doesnt have big dreams.

Crashing with a friend for a few weeks or a month would be ideal to get you into the city. Communicate the timetable with your friend ahead of time, and stick to it. If you ask for two weeks, make sure you've found a place or a hostel, or another friend to stay with by then.

Ask one of your friends in the city if you can use their address while you look for work in the city. I did this when moving and it instantly helped. Recruiters often search databases by location and keywords to sort through the excess. If you're not in the inital search criteria, you're not even being considered. Dont sell yourself short like that. If you get a job, changing the address is easy, and if you're going to be styaing with that firend initially anyway, it will be your first NY address.

Financial experience at HSBC will make you a potential candidate for a lot of jobs in NYC. Its competive, but dont let the naysayers deter you. I had a similar situation when moving here as well, and I found work in banking, right before lehman collapsed. Remember, there are really two types of people who move to NYC. Those that are the best in what they do, and dreamers. If you're the later, it will never be practical to move to new york. Dont waste time trying to turn it into a responsible, practical process. It's new york, it's never going to be that way. If it's your dream, go for it. You'll have to take a few steps back, but it might pay you off in ways you had never dreamed possible. No risk, no reward, right? let me know if you have additional questions. Id be more than happy to see another person realize their dreams.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-09-2009 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
 
Location: New York, NY
917 posts, read 2,555,335 times
Reputation: 1021
Could you try for an internal transfer within HSBC? There are branches all over the place, so it's worth asking. If this is a possibility, you might be able to support yourself while you get settled, then start looking for a better job while you still have steady income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
14 posts, read 44,305 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Could you try for an internal transfer within HSBC? There are branches all over the place, so it's worth asking. If this is a possibility, you might be able to support yourself while you get settled, then start looking for a better job while you still have steady income?
Thanks iGlenn and StinaTado . Yes I am still working in HSBC and have a strong performance rating. That is definitely one of my options and I thought about that, even if its a job I wouldn't really care for it would be a good source of income guaranteed to hold me over.

I found out that our marketing team is in NYC, I emailed HR last week to see if I can get a shadowing oppurtunity here to network my way into marketing as part of my career development plan. Being this is a huge corporation they don't always live up to their propoganda but I will keep trying.

I appreciate your feedbacks. I will be in NYC in Jan to check out some stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
14 posts, read 44,305 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
A few things...

Yes you can move to nyc. Keep in mind the rules of getting here and making it are not the same as they would be with a move to say, LA, or Chicago. First of all, get SOME SORT of income and GET HERE. This doesnt mean your dream job and a soho loft. This could mean a temp position and a Mod cutbedroom in brooklyn. Once your here, the real assimilation begins. It's going to take some time to adjust to the cost of living, and the sacrifices you'll need to make with quality of life standards, such as space, commute time etc. If it's been your dream to live in New York, none of these will matter, the city will push you to be better, to acheive at a higher level. This is the major leagues. Sure, you can start for a AA team in another city, but for those of us that dream of playing in the big leaugeus, there isnt any other option. NYC is the only choice. I get this. I felt that way. This being the case, you'll be willing to make short term sacrifcies for long term opportunity; opportunities that arent available to you in any other city. Anybody who argues with this either hasnt truly experienced the wonder of new york, or doesnt have big dreams.

Crashing with a friend for a few weeks or a month would be ideal to get you into the city. Communicate the timetable with your friend ahead of time, and stick to it. If you ask for two weeks, make sure you've found a place or a hostel, or another friend to stay with by then.

Ask one of your friends in the city if you can use their address while you look for work in the city. I did this when moving and it instantly helped. Recruiters often search databases by location and keywords to sort through the excess. If you're not in the inital search criteria, you're not even being considered. Dont sell yourself short like that. If you get a job, changing the address is easy, and if you're going to be styaing with that firend initially anyway, it will be your first NY address.

Financial experience at HSBC will make you a potential candidate for a lot of jobs in NYC. Its competive, but dont let the naysayers deter you. I had a similar situation when moving here as well, and I found work in banking, right before lehman collapsed. Remember, there are really two types of people who move to NYC. Those that are the best in what they do, and dreamers. If you're the later, it will never be practical to move to new york. Dont waste time trying to turn it into a responsible, practical process. It's new york, it's never going to be that way. If it's your dream, go for it. You'll have to take a few steps back, but it might pay you off in ways you had never dreamed possible. No risk, no reward, right? let me know if you have additional questions. Id be more than happy to see another person realize their dreams.
Thank you so much for taking your time in writing this advice. I appreciate it. I've had so many naysayers that sometimes its demotivating, I definitely appreciate the reality check and the encouragement. I am very driven to move to NYC. I actually gave up my apt and my brand new car, moved in with my parents and cleared out 8K in credit card debt and am planning to have 10K saved by summer for my move.

Reason I want to be in NYC mostly is coz I can't seem to relate to many people in the small town I'm in. People are ok with being around their high school clicks, geting married in their 20's and watch football games all weekend. Don't get me wrong I love all that and I would love to be married sometime but its not all I want out of life, at least for now. I want to travel the world, live my life, focus on my career, meet a ton of people, grow as a person.....experience life.

I absolutely love NYC, it is the most unique city in the US and nothing like it. Most people hate busy places and riding subways, I think it makes me feel more alive in crowds, I have no trouble listening to my iPod and get some reading in on my way to work, instead of driving and being stuck in my car in traffic doing nothing productive for 40mins.


I am pretty sure I am more ambitious than a dreamer. Plan 1 is to get my idea job before my move. Plan 2 is to move within HSBC and Plan 3 is to pick up and leave with a bad and my netbook, crash with friends, hostels etc work part-time at Sephora (cosmetics skin care store), a hotel or car rental based on my other job experiences to hold me over until I get a real job.

I plan on getting a roommate and living in brooklyn/queens or by the columbia university area say between 96-120th street to start when I am more ready to settle but for the begining I am going to crash with my friend and ex boyfriends family. I will use their address for job search then.

Can you tell me how you did your move? How long it took you to settle? What you did in your plan? How long have you been in NYC and do you love it? Do you think my personality type will be ok there? I am somewhat introverted coz I like my alone time (even if its among a million people I just like walking alone to clear my head here and there).

Do you know any young profesionals networking sites I can join to help meet people prior to?

P/S: I kinda want to get out of banking or if I do banking I want to work more on the product end instead of systems/IT/Finance. Bad idea?

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-09-2009 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 AM
 
8,140 posts, read 12,516,881 times
Reputation: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectareous View Post
I am a 27 yr old girl planning to move to NYC in Summer of 2010. By then I will have 10K saved and 4 years of professional work experience (2 yrs: Applications Support Analyst (Self Storage Company) 2yrs: Financial Systems Analyst (HSBC Bank )).

I understand that it isn't going to be easy, I plan on having a roommate the first yr living there. I don't mind if I have to commute 40 minutes to work for starters until I am more stable financially. I don't have much debt. 18K in student loans where I can go down to paying a min of $160/month. Cell Phone bill of $90/month. Other expenses I will incur for living in NYC when I move I expect like rent, utilities, transportation and food.

Question:

1. Work: Given my background, how easy will it be for me to get a job in the city? How long is the average time for somene to get a job in the city? I am not a fresh graduate so will I have an upper hand?

2. Living: I don't know too many people in the city I can rely on. So I am planning to crash at a couple friends place here and there for a week and then move into hostels. This way I can explore some neighborhoods without commiting to anything. Has anyone done that before?

3. Resume: I would like to apply for jobs from where I am but does it decrease my chances of call back not having a NYC address.

I can't think of whatelse to ask or say. Any advice will be appreciated. IT would be great if someone can share their experience of moving, how they did it etc etc
Unless the recession fixes itself anytime soon, it is highly unlikely you will find a job. Good luck though- i'm like you, 28, 5 years work experience and I have been applying for a year and half and can't get anything...and I'm a native. It's tough out there!

Although if you are from another state besides NJ or CT or something, you may have the upper hand, provided you will accept a comparable salary to something in your home state and not be trying to get a New York salary. But...don't count on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Cheektowaga, NY
14 posts, read 44,305 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Unless the recession fixes itself anytime soon, it is highly unlikely you will find a job. Good luck though- i'm like you, 28, 5 years work experience and I have been applying for a year and half and can't get anything...and I'm a native. It's tough out there!

Although if you are from another state besides NJ or CT or something, you may have the upper hand, provided you will accept a comparable salary to something in your home state and not be trying to get a New York salary. But...don't count on it.

What kind of work experience do you have out of curiousity? I see so many jobs online to apply for, so you think the better people are settling for jobs we normally would? like MBA holders etc etc

How is the callback rate for interviews? I am from downstate NY.

Another thing I don't get is, why do native NYers always think they are better educationally or in general than someone who isn't from NYC? Not to offend anyone but I read that like a million times. I think its a little arrogant being NYC is the epidemy of people migrating in and out. I hope that is not what you were trying to say. I do have a NYC address if that is your concern for job search and NYC are code for phone number. I planned this to make my resume stand out so they won't not call me coz they have to pay for me to fly out for interview.

Last edited by Nectareous; 12-09-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top