Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 09:26 AM

113 posts, read 263,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchon View Post
I am considering moving to 105th Street and Manhattan Avenue. I would like to know how safe the area is. I am a 23-year-old white female. If I am walking home late, would it be unsafe to pass through the projects?

I am mostly looking for any negative information, since I already have all the information about why this would be a good place to live.
Why are you considering moving to the projects at all? Where are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaFromQueens View Post
Why are you considering moving to the projects at all? Where are you from?
I think she meant near the projects not in them. The area near the Fredrick Douglass housing projects looks decent looking.

There's a youth hostel next to the projects, too.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:31 AM

113 posts, read 263,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think she meant near the projects not in them. The area near the Fredrick Douglass housing projects looks decent looking.

There's a youth hostel next to the projects, too.
Oh ok! Thanks!!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,420 times
To revive this topic... I am considering a lease in one of the Columbus Sq bldgs - 801 Amsterdam to be exact, corner of 100th and Amsterdam. My view will be the high school in the Douglass Houses. It seems the blocks closer to 97th on both Columbus and Amsterdam seem fine with all the retail. How about along 100th? How sketchy is 100th? There's also a police station on the project's side of the street on 100th so I imagine it can't be that "bad" unless we're actually straying further north.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
The neighborhood is fine and safe. There is nothing going on on 100th street that a little common sense and street smarts won't take care of. The new developments on Broadway and Columbus have brought in higher income people and the amenities they'll want--within a few blocks you have a Whole Foods, two 24-hour supermarkets, and 2 24-hour pharmacies. There are still some tenements on Amsterdam around there but the poorer people who live there don't dominate or define the neighborhood, nor do the folks in the Douglass houses. Every once in a while you'll see a police car there, but by and large these PJs are pretty calm. All in all, this area is a neat slice of Manhattan I think.

But the noise! Be ready for it--and not from the people there either. You will be on a block with a police station AND a firehouse. Seems like the fire trucks are always leaving at midnight or 2 am every night. When I was in that neighborhood it eventually became the equivalent of "white noise" to me. Just something that I heard so often I blocked it out, like someone who lives near an el eventually just doesn't hear it every day. But it may be jarring at first.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:16 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
But the noise! Be ready for it--and not from the people there either. You will be on a block with a police station AND a firehouse. Seems like the fire trucks are always leaving at midnight or 2 am every night. When I was in that neighborhood it eventually became the equivalent of "white noise" to me. Just something that I heard so often I blocked it out, like someone who lives near an el eventually just doesn't hear it every day. But it may be jarring at first.
Thats what I don't get - unless you're coming from the suburbs, or somewhere in the city that is akin to suburban living such as some parts of eastern Queens, or even if you previously lived on a very high floor, one should be used to police/fire sirens, the train, and regular sidewalk noise. It's part of city living.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats what I don't get - unless you're coming from the suburbs, or somewhere in the city that is akin to suburban living such as some parts of eastern Queens, or even if you previously lived on a very high floor, one should be used to police/fire sirens, the train, and regular sidewalk noise. It's part of city living.
As it happens this will be me. Spent last 10 years in the 'burbs of California although I have also lived in West Philly where police sirens was pretty typical. Also lived close to a hospital which would be similar to firehouse noise. The Columbus Sq neighborhood didn't bother me from what I've seen but stumbling on this particular thread raised some questions.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,718 times
I grew up in Douglass Houses, I moved out in the 1980's for good. It was a different world back then but we always considered Douglass MUCH safer that projects further uptown, it's a great neighborhood but I would be a stranger if I walked through the projects today but I would be just as cautious as walking through any unfamiliar streets in NY, don't let the projects deter you it is a great neighborhood with great transportation.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:14 PM

240 posts, read 621,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couchon View Post
How bad are the Frederick Douglass housing projects?
Not as bad as Fallujah, but definitely worse than Kabul.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,288 times
Default Not so bad

So I have lived here since Aug 2018 and this is my first apartment ever; I thought it would be extremely scary moving not only alone but into the projects. It’s pretty cool around here but then again, I’ve managed to stick to myself, only exchanging words with my elders. I make sure I stay out of any mix and drama. Usually it’s pretty quiet as far as drama, the main noise comes from the constant emergency response cars that zip down Columbus. I barely have roaches in my apartment and I have no mice or rats. I also try to keep my apartment very clean and tidy. I hope this helps a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: