Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,168,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I am bracing myself for that. I haven't experienced late winter/early spring in WNY for almost 13 years....only christmastime winter, which I love. March snow turns brown is all I remember. My famly is telling me that march snow melts much faster these days so the brown crap isn't quite as prevalent as it used to be...but we'll see.
yea, that was always my complaint, december and january snow is a novelty, February and especially March snow is a nuisance.

I am actually quite excited, we are going up to New York now for Christmas. I pushed for it and my wife caved, x-mas here in North Carolina just isn't the same as up North. I hope we get a nice snowstorm, then I can get out of there . There are 4 months a year I'd rather be up there than down here weather-wise June, July, August, and December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 26,737 times
We moved south to Winston-Salem, NC and it was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life. I cannot honestly find 1 good thing to say about living in the south. It truly just plain sucks. The lifestyle these folks lead is a mystery, fast food ads on tv are out of control! My wife and I both noticed how much more you see that, and in return there are so many very LARGE people. I am convinced the heat and humidity makes people fat and stupid. Sure the weather is warmer but people hole up in their houses during the summer, they LOVE the summers but hardly anyone goes out into it because it is like a thick stew outside during that time. To get any relief you have to pack yourself, wife, kids into the car and drive to the mountains to be among the mountain people. They whole way of life is just backward and living here for what seems like an eternity has made me realize why the south is behind the rest of the country. And they are behind in so many ways. I lived in Washington DC for a while and they would always say that it is an oasis of intelligence in the south. I can confirm exactly that.

We are getting the hell out of here as fast as humanly possible. It is over-rated and if you stay too long you will become one of the them.... good for some, not for us.

The South folks, not Rochester, looks the best in your rear view mirror.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:54 PM

161 posts, read 464,907 times
Default hello

I agree with all of you on that one. I am from NY and relocated to Raleigh five mths ago. I am an admin. assistant and could not find a job in NY for one year so I relocated here. Although I am getting interviews I am not getting offers. I have no family here nor in NY except for a few friends but otherwise that's it. The boredom is a killer for me. The only time I enjoy is when I walk around the Malls. The Malls are great spacious nice things to look at, clean, not loud. There is a lot of beauty here. The apartments are much nicer than charlotte. I went to charlotte a few weeks ago and for the same rent I am paying in Raleigh you get less sq. footage. That only shows to prove you get less for the money. I know Charlotte is more expensive. The buses are 1.30 and in Raleigh they are 1.00 and you get a transfer for a free ride on the return or an all day pass for $2.00 I wanted to go downtown to see the acorn drop but I didn't want to spend New Year's Eve with 40,000 strangers so I stood home with myself and a bottle of sparkling wine. Let's hope I stay up long enough if not I am off to bed.

Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,030 times
I am from the Hudson Valley, Columbia County, NY and a year ago I moved to Tn. I myself have not had anyone be rude to me, or treat me badly and I am a "damn Yankee" and proud of it. Also after plowing through the 9 pages on this thread, I'd like to point out that Charlotte/ Raliegh, NC aren't the only 2 places representing the south. I've never lived in that area of NC, so I cannot give my opinion of that area but I can give my opinion of Eastern Tn. in the foothills of the beautiful Smokie Mountains. I love it here and yes I miss real NY style pizza and chicken wings and Italian deli's.
Sure this past summer was an unusually hot one and we are facing drought conditions, but I remember a year not so long ago in NY state where we had a dry spring, summer, fall and winter where many neighbors had to have new wells dug. Droughts happen all over. Just as ignorance and bad attitudes exist anywhere.As for the tired worn out North/South debate, well it exists but it isn't one I take part in.
I think if you move anywhere in this country, it is up to you to acclimate to the area you moved too, not expect it to change to suit you.
As for the snow question, I happen to enjoy the snowfalls here in Eastern Tn. You wake up in the morning, appreciate the overnight snowfall for the beauty it adds to the landscape and sit in your house and let the sun do its work and it is melted by noon. What more could you ask for from snow? Yesterday was a balmy 66 degrees for the last day of the year. I ran errends without a winter coat. I get to enjoy the 4 seasons here and a bonus is that spring shows up and stays in February! I no longer have to wait for April/ May or even June some years for spring to arrive.
But this is just my personal experience and opinion. You get out of life what you put into it.
Pam

Old 01-01-2008, 07:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
Pam & Bill - Sounds like the Smoky Mountains are a great area to live. However, that's not where most of the jobs are. Most transplants end up in Charlotte and Raleigh for economic reasons. It certainly can't be for the traffic, bad schools and ugly strip malls.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Pam & Bill - Sounds like the Smoky Mountains are a great area to live. However, that's not where most of the jobs are. Most transplants end up in Charlotte and Raleigh for economic reasons. It certainly can't be for the traffic, bad schools and ugly strip malls.

...you'd be suprised.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,030 times
Quote:
Read this entire thread. Many of the opinions expressed refer to Charlotte and Raliegh. My point is that those places are saturated with northerners and how northerners are treated there isn't the entire south nor should the entire south be condemned to the rest of the northerners as one sweeping blanket statement. In essence it is the northerners keeping the North/south debate going by telling of bad experiences that happened in NC as if NC is the entire south. It is the same thing as saying that those who live upstate or in Western NY are just like those that live in NY city or Long Island.Any upstater will correct anyone that doesn't know the distinction between downstate and upstate. After all NY is not a cement state.
Theres a difference in how yakees are treated in NC, I'll agree to that but I won't agree to the broad general statement that all of the south dislikes northerners.
Now if someone could just clarify how the NY Thruway is still a toll road, yet the interstate here in Tn. is free as well as a wonderfully maintained road and garbage disposal is also free when brought to the Transfer station. Then maybe we would have something to compare and chew on.
Pam

Old 01-02-2008, 08:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,720,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Now if someone could just clarify how the NY Thruway is still a toll road, yet the interstate here in Tn. is free as well as a wonderfully maintained road and garbage disposal is also free when brought to the Transfer station. Then maybe we would have something to compare and chew on.
Pam
Because we have to pay the useless overpaid toll workers, heat the booths, give them insane benefits. Not to mention the Thruway money goes to pay for the useless canal system.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,432,819 times
Quote:
Traffic isn't that bad in Charlotte. I make it to work in 25 minutes and that's 20 miles from just outside of the city. I used to have to drive on the 198 from North Buffalo to Cheektowaga for work and that was pretty bad at 8am.; don't know if it still is. I also live in one of the top school districts in the entire country:

Schools, Fort Mill, South Carolina (http://www.crescent-resources.com/communit/charlott/springfield/schools.asp - broken link)

Fort Mill High School - Fort Mill, South Carolina - SC - school overview

IF I had children, I would put them in this school district over any in WNY anyday.

WNY has its fair share of ugly strip malls too, coupled with cheap motels along Niagara Falls Blvd. Those are really asthetic.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM

37 posts, read 129,603 times
I lived in Charlotte for 3 years and couldn't take it anymore. I live in Faiport now and am much happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York