Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM

148 posts, read 648,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I don't think you guys understand....that's the POINT. The smaller school districts are better. The north has smaller school districts, the south has larger county-wide ones. Town/neighborhood school districts are usually better than county school districts. There is no "skewed data". That's just the way it is. You can't say "if it were monroe or erie COUNTY schools"...because it's a "What if".
Each one of these school district has it's own bus garage, human resources dept, benefits coordinator, superintendant, assistant superintendant, assitant to the assistant super........multiple layers of redundant government WASTE. That's why school taxes are so high, get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
yes....i get it. And the taxes could and should be lower even with the town school systems. I'm assuming (also hoping) you don't have kids. If you did, you might understand a little better. When we were living in Raleigh our kids were assigned to school in Apex, 30 minutes away, for no reason other than we were in a white neighborhood in a mostly black area of Raleigh. We moved to Apex because we liked the schools and didn't like that area of raleigh and guess what, a year later reasignment kicks in and our son was a senior in one highschool that's less than 10 minutes away and our daughter a freshman in a different highschool 20+ minutes away. The house I have here in Greece is a little over 1800 sq ft, about the same size as the last home we owned in NC. We paid less than $170k for it, and our taxes are a little over 4k a year. We have a basement, garage, and almost half an acre yard. Our house in that not so nice area of Raleigh that we lived in before renting in Apex was the same size (1800 sq ft), with no garage, no basement, and smaller yard. The taxes were only $1500 sure; but the house with less ammenties (only thing that might be considered "Better" about it was that it was new vs our house here being built in the 70s) costs $230k. And again that was in a not very nice area of Raleigh. In the much nicer town of Apex where we rented for the last 2 years we were NC (wanted to get out of Raleigh fast, so we just rented in Apex until we found a hosue we wanted to buy, before deciding we'd had it with NC altogehter and came back here) that house would probably be $250k. $2500k more for taxes with a better school system, more house, and a bigger yard...but for $70k less in price. I'm sure you'll turn this into "well your house in NY will never appreciate because this is the most depressing place on earth". But save it, because I'm here to live and stay, not sell my house a few years later for some major profit.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 PM

121 posts, read 382,843 times
Of course it is skewed data with town vs. countywide data. You've got way more lower performing schools to bring the numbers down.

And no matter where you go, the same old concept holds true....where there is money and the affluent....there will be schools rated as being "the best".

Old 01-22-2008, 02:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,181 times
We moved from Rochester, NY and settled in Charlotte, NC area and we go back to visit but would never move back, in fact, quite a few of our family and friends have also migrated down. It al depends on where in the south you would move to.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,906 times
I don't know how anyone could move to the sprawl, i mean the south at all. Its awful down there in my opinion. Including Charlotte which has been jam packed with newcomers.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
I don't know how anyone could move to the sprawl, i mean the south at all. Its awful down there in my opinion. Including Charlotte which has been jam packed with newcomers.

Sprawl is disgusting---but it is everywhere. Weren't you the person who has never even been to Charlotte or one of the cities that people were complaining about earlier?

Again, I love NY, but I travelled this weekend and I need to give more points again for having access to large airports. No little American Eagle-type planes that make you feel like you are going to crash because they are so tiny. I got in and out of the airport in a breeze. Come to think of it, this was the first vacation I was able to take in years.....Back in Rochester, my money was gone or I never had any working dumb jobs to hopefully land a permanent one. Here, I can actually go away on vacations. And that is such a pro.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,136 times
I moved to Tampa for a year and came back home to Buffalo with a new apprectiation of the benefits of living here. For perspective, I'm in my early 30's.

I didn't hate Tampa -- far from it. There were lots of perks to living there, but the bad outweighed the good.

Major gripes:
1) Housing costs. As a hopeful first-home buyer within the next couple years, a modest but well-maintained house was absolutely out of my reach in Tampa. What might cost 100k here was easily 250-300k there, and I made roughly the same in both cities.

2) Traffic. Every commute was an absolute nightmare -- 40 minutes on a good day, 1.5 hours in heavy rain. Each way. Truly bad drivers who never had to learn discretion in poor weather. In fact, this might be my number one gripe; I could have dealt with apartment living until later in life. There was no freedom to just up and *go* anywhere in the metro area and be there in 15-30 minutes.

3) Climate. I thought I hated snow when I moved to Florida, but in reality, I was just in love with Buffalo summers. I have a new appreciation for winter here, with its dry air, lack of bugs (especially palmetto bugs larger than mice), and relief from year-round humidity. Summer in Tampa (roughly, every month except January) left me feeling itchy, moldy, and never quite clean.

Different but equal:
1) People -- there were plenty of friendly people in Tampa, but they were, on average, slightly more shallow if less guarded. Buffalonians tend to have an abruptness, a "cut through the BS" if you will, that outsiders might mistake for rudeness. We're definitely more provincial here, but that brings with it a sense of greater community... "the city of good neighbors" isn't just a saying.

2) Food -- Cuban sandwiches and grouper vs. beef on weck and wings... regional specialties are good in both places.

Advantage Tampa:
1) Beaches -- I avoided the crowded spring-breaky ones like Clearwater, but the more remote and less crowded ones were something that Lake Erie can't match.

2) Nothing looked old and run down, and nobody whined in the newspaper about everlasting economic doom and gloom (I'm looking at you, Donn Esmonde).

Overall -- Tampa is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again. Buffalo may be a poor vacation choice, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:55 AM

63 posts, read 223,286 times
We are farther down than the Carolinas, we moved to Georgia from Rochester We love it here and the schools are great, the people are tops but the only problem is trying to get jobs, I am having no problem getting jobs its my sons. They are Indian and Puerto Rican and because of the Mexicans taking lower pay they think that my sons are Mexican so they are just trying to treat them like one.Would I move back to Rochester NO WAY!! But I am praying that something happens soon.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Wow being from NC its funny to see where all the transplants are coming from. I've seen a lot from Michigan/PA/Upstate NY and Long Island. Michigan/PA and Upstate NY residents come here b/c of the opportunities available to them. Long Island residents come because they cannot afford to live there. A lot of times they come down saying they just couldn't raise a family up there. I have found the white collar workers find great opportunities here b/c the workforce is very well educated in the RDU/Triangle area. Blue collar workers can make more in NYC/Long Island, but it is relative to the cost of living...they may still be struggling here.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Wow being from NC its funny to see where all the transplants are coming from. I've seen a lot from Michigan/PA/Upstate NY and Long Island. Michigan/PA and Upstate NY residents come here b/c of the opportunities available to them. Long Island residents come because they cannot afford to live there. A lot of times they come down saying they just couldn't raise a family up there. I have found the white collar workers find great opportunities here b/c the workforce is very well educated in the RDU/Triangle area. Blue collar workers can make more in NYC/Long Island, but it is relative to the cost of living...they may still be struggling here.
Yep, you're dead on with your observation. I also see Mass. & Connecticut as well as Maryland people everywhere in addition to the ones you mentioned. People on this board shouldn't be so hard on N. Carolinians because really it is all the transplants that create the need for the growth because our northeastern states have down a real fine job of creating work and affordable living!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York