Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:27 PM

305 posts, read 611,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I speak to friends in Michigan, Florida and California who tell me how bad everything is in their states with 0 jobs or growth. Housing markets have collapsed in many areas of their state. I'll stay here and deal with the taxes and traffic!

Outside of Education and Healthcare where exactly is the job growth on LI? What companies have our local politicians recriuted here in the last decade? LI will be the next Detriot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPhinfan13 View Post
Outside of Education and Healthcare where exactly is the job growth on LI? What companies have our local politicians recriuted here in the last decade? LI will be the next Detriot.
I doubt it, I'm staying too.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
It's not all LI/downstate though. Buffalo has had a huge population decrease as well.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM

44 posts, read 109,706 times
That article goes by total number instead of percentage. Whats the deal with that?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
My brother moved back here from San Diego and found a job in accounting within 2 weeks, and it's even in the same town. Common occupation, quick employment. Does it really have to be growing?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think you missed the entire point... The key is what demographic is leaving and what demographic is replacing them.
Those words should be carved, twenty feet tall, into the side of a mountain, somewhere.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I think you missed the entire point... The key is what demographic is leaving and what demographic is replacing them.
It's a BIG state with plenty of room for those on a low budget upstate. I don't imagine the penniless are moving to LI in droves because they can't afford the rent and there are no trailer parks (for those under 55 who are the usual trailer park demographic everywhere else ... and there are even precious few of the senior citizen trailer parks).

Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Those words should be carved, twenty feet tall, into the side of a mountain, somewhere.
Ahhh don't get so excited to diss NY (although there are mountains upstate that could handle your order)!

Next time Lockup has a show set in an Oregon prison, would you like me to send you an email?

(LOL. J/K. Not posted in hostile spirit, because I "know" GG for anyone wondering.)

Old 01-05-2011, 07:06 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Quote:

Google pretty much bought a whole city block in New York City. If your willing to commute into the city then their are a lot of jobs here. Keep in mind canons US headquaters will be opening up also. Long island still has a growing tech business .

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's a BIG state with plenty of room for those on a low budget upstate. I don't imagine the penniless are moving to LI in droves because they can't afford the rent and there are no trailer parks (for those under 55 who are the usual trailer park demographic everywhere else ... and there are even precious few of the senior citizen trailer parks).
Point taken... but, you seriously don't think that there's no trailer parks on LI - do you? There are quite a few out in Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York