Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:21 AM

10 posts, read 20,375 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I do't know exactly where you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 05:52 AM

93,256 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
I know that is the community it was based off of, but I don't know if MT. Airy is even "mayberry".

Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 AM

93,256 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and West Elmira kids specifically go to EFA. I'm sure many of the people there send their kids to Notre Dame, as they generally can afford it. Pine City and Southport kids go to Southside. I believe that the graduation rate between the two is in the mid 60's. As a frame of reference, the national graduation rate a year or two ago was 69.2% in four years.
Also, what could be contributing to the 65% graduation rate in Elmira City Schools is the fact that the small alternative school had a rate of 23%. EFA had a 2010 grad. rate of 75% and Southside was at 74%. Both are above state and national averages. I got the information from the NYSED School Report Card website. There is room for improvement, but it isn't as bleak as people might think it is. Just so people can see for themselves and is information for other districts: https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Chemung (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Steuben (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Tioga (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Schuyler (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Tompkins (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2010&county=Tompkins (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010020.pdf

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0600010023.pdf

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-19-2011 at 06:24 AM..

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Man listen, I aint finna devote too much to this topic--but Elmira is neither dangerous nor ghetto! True enough, there is crime, but not enough here to constitute a "crime-riddled" city. Its a retirement town with a high poverty rate, but understand that POVERTY and CRIME are not synonomous, though they could go together. So cut the exagerations short....

Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM

18 posts, read 25,804 times
Spiedies-squares of meat left to marinate in a vinegar based oily sauce for a long time and then grilled until they are absolutely as dry as possible. The goal is meat that can be chewed for 20 minutes or so without decreasing its volume Then, without any vegetables added, the meat squares are loaded on to an E-Talian processed roll and eaten dry. Um Um Um! A poor person's shish kabob. The nice thing is that they really do last a long time because swallowing large chunks will choke you. And the bread is so dry that sometimes even when you swallow hard it remains coated in your throat. The best part is that, because it soaks in marinate so long, it is both dry and oily. Cool. And often it does a rebound so you can experience it again later that same day.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM

70 posts, read 165,226 times
In 2011 the city of Elmira had a total of 70 violent crimes, a city of 30,000 with only 70 violent crimes. No, I wouldn't call Elmira crime ridden.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Man listen, I aint finna devote too much to this topic--but Elmira is neither dangerous nor ghetto! True enough, there is crime, but not enough here to constitute a "crime-riddled" city. Its a retirement town with a high poverty rate, but understand that POVERTY and CRIME are not synonomous, though they could go together. So cut the exagerations short....

Man, you must be kidding yourself. Nobody's saying it is a crime ridden city like Gary Indiana or Camden, but it is certainly no Mayberry. Look around pal. The west side is "crack city" from water to fourth all the way to Grove. I know, I've lived there for a while. The southside has it's share of awful neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that used to be nice. The East side (upper and lower) is straight ghetto. I don't even know how you can dispute that, since you live in Elmira. There are alot of areas in Elmira that are bad. The last few years, things have gotten better, but they don't look better. Yet as of recently, within about a week and a half. Double shooting in Hawthorn court (every year they get shootings, stabbings and usually one homicide-it's a large housing project that wasn't even named yet). They had another shooting on lake a few days later. Yesterday they had a shootout on Broadway which is a nice neighborhood. And a bank was robbed! What part of all that seems nice to you. Oh, and the murder earlier this year in Corning was from an Elmira man. Elmira is not nice, and it certainly aint Mayberry. You must be crazy. You know as well as I do (besides Elmira's own drug dealers), dealers from NYC and Rochester flock to Elmira to deal drugs because the need is there. Half my friends I grew up with are strung out on Crack. Crack is the most commonly used drugs there. There's only a handful of cities in the state that seem worse for their size. Newburgh-of course Newburgh is off the hook and has an MSA three times the size. Poughipsee is another. Elmira is worse than Ithaca, Auburn, Watertown, Jamestown and per rate Binghamton. My friend just got pulled over for having crack on him and they let him go. The officer said that he had already had two of those that day and didn't want to deal with it. Just let him go without anything. Even cities like Binghamton doesn't do that. I'll admit, the last few years Elmira has been improving. But it's getting back to how it was or worse than it was four or five years ago, when it seemed there was a shooting or stabbing once a week.

Just saying. Don't make Elmira out to be Mayberry. In fact when people ask about nice smaller cities in NY state Ithaca is always mentioned, sometimes Jamestown, Binghamton, but never Elmira. It is a sh t hole! Sorry, to be so blunt. Drive around in the bad areas some day (all of them) and tell me it doesn't look bad. Hawthorn court alone looks like any other really bad housing project area in any much larger city. Go down Oak street and tell me that area with numerous blocks of neighborhoods look good. In fact I have friend who moved back to Elmira from Erie Pa which is three times the size and he said Elmira was worse. Not painting Elmira to be something it's not. Because the last few years it has gotten a little better. However, crime is starting to pick up again. I read the daily blotters and their are constant burglaries, controlled substances, robberies and "gun shots". Mayberry it isn't. It will never be Mayberry.

I always thought it seemed like a smaller version of Utica or Schenectady. Having been to both those cities numerous times. That's my two cents and it's an accurate two cents. I'm not making it out to be anything like Camdens level, but it is far worse than Corning or some of those other cities. If anything corning looks like Mayberry to me.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:23 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndicottNewYork View Post
In 2011 the city of Elmira had a total of 70 violent crimes, a city of 30,000 with only 70 violent crimes. No, I wouldn't call Elmira crime ridden.

Stats are fudged big time here. I know that for a fact. I've been let go with felonies. Just saying. My uncle was a captain on the police force and he has told me this. Plus, say a shooting occurs, the victim won't cooperate leading to no arrests..I will say the last few years have been shockingly safer than the years prior. However, it looks the same. Many streets with tons of boarded up houses, and many neighborhoods with dealers walking the block night and day..Personaly, I would't call that a very nice city.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
Man, you must be kidding yourself. Nobody's saying it is a crime ridden city like Gary Indiana or Camden, but it is certainly no Mayberry. Look around pal. The west side is "crack city" from water to fourth all the way to Grove. I know, I've lived there for a while. The southside has it's share of awful neighborhoods. Neighborhoods that used to be nice. The East side (upper and lower) is straight ghetto. I don't even know how you can dispute that, since you live in Elmira. There are alot of areas in Elmira that are bad. The last few years, things have gotten better, but they don't look better. Yet as of recently, within about a week and a half. Double shooting in Hawthorn court (every year they get shootings, stabbings and usually one homicide-it's a large housing project that wasn't even named yet). They had another shooting on lake a few days later. Yesterday they had a shootout on Broadway which is a nice neighborhood. And a bank was robbed! What part of all that seems nice to you. Oh, and the murder earlier this year in Corning was from an Elmira man. Elmira is not nice, and it certainly aint Mayberry. You must be crazy. You know as well as I do (besides Elmira's own drug dealers), dealers from NYC and Rochester flock to Elmira to deal drugs because the need is there. Half my friends I grew up with are strung out on Crack. Crack is the most commonly used drugs there. There's only a handful of cities in the state that seem worse for their size. Newburgh-of course Newburgh is off the hook and has an MSA three times the size. Poughipsee is another. Elmira is worse than Ithaca, Auburn, Watertown, Jamestown and per rate Binghamton. My friend just got pulled over for having crack on him and they let him go. The officer said that he had already had two of those that day and didn't want to deal with it. Just let him go without anything. Even cities like Binghamton doesn't do that. I'll admit, the last few years Elmira has been improving. But it's getting back to how it was or worse than it was four or five years ago, when it seemed there was a shooting or stabbing once a week.

Just saying. Don't make Elmira out to be Mayberry. In fact when people ask about nice smaller cities in NY state Ithaca is always mentioned, sometimes Jamestown, Binghamton, but never Elmira. It is a sh t hole! Sorry, to be so blunt. Drive around in the bad areas some day (all of them) and tell me it doesn't look bad. Hawthorn court alone looks like any other really bad housing project area in any much larger city. Go down Oak street and tell me that area with numerous blocks of neighborhoods look good. In fact I have friend who moved back to Elmira from Erie Pa which is three times the size and he said Elmira was worse. Not painting Elmira to be something it's not. Because the last few years it has gotten a little better. However, crime is starting to pick up again. I read the daily blotters and their are constant burglaries, controlled substances, robberies and "gun shots". Mayberry it isn't. It will never be Mayberry.

I always thought it seemed like a smaller version of Utica or Schenectady. Having been to both those cities numerous times. That's my two cents and it's an accurate two cents. I'm not making it out to be anything like Camdens level, but it is far worse than Corning or some of those other cities. If anything corning looks like Mayberry to me.
Very well stated. Elmira is undesirable to say the least. To claim otherwise is just fooling yourself. It does have a few nice neighborhoods but for the most part it's dirty, rundown, crime ridden, economically depressed and it's not getting any better.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM

70 posts, read 165,226 times
It's pretty statistically safe though. Heres some small/medium places in New Yorks violent crime rates.

Poughkeepsie: 995.84
Troy : 740.09
Utica : 613.80
Binghamton: 565.68
Oneonta: 496.36
Endicott: 495.19
Corning: 339.80
Johnson City: 329.51
Cortland: 249.94
Elmira: 239.72
Ithaca: 99.95
United States: 403.6
New York: 392.1

So really the violent crime rate for Elmira is really very low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York