Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I like Virginia too. Its a nice state. Better move to SC cause NC still gets 7-10 inches of snow a year!
The High Country of NC gets much more than that, around 30-40 inches, but only at elevations above 3,000ft like Boone, NC. Boone, NC has a rare climate classification of "subtropical highland" meaning cooler temperatures at elevation, elevated precipitation amounts, and a diversity of vegetation from the North and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:20 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Quote:
I had to comment. You are hilarious, dude. I've never seen what you seen, but you make me LOL sometimes
Areas around Jamestown and Olean have a much more shallow gene pool I must say. Cortland and Fulton NY areas too.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
Don't fall into his trap! Let's face it ckhthankgod! If you think by talking about these problems online and somehow there will be a solution then you wouldn't need to defend yourself. However I think you are starting to acknowledge there is a problem in Upstate NY since you are eager to ask for solutions.
People like CKH should move to Cairo so they can remain in denial. Wait, that's the Hudson in Cairo,NY. LOL

Old 03-25-2013, 07:48 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The High Country of NC gets much more than that, around 30-40 inches, but only at elevations above 3,000ft like Boone, NC. Boone, NC has a rare climate classification of "subtropical highland" meaning cooler temperatures at elevation, elevated precipitation amounts, and a diversity of vegetation from the North and South.
No doubt. Its an amazing area- Northern species end there and Southern species begin there. The elevation is high enough to have a bit of a windward leeward effect, so windward side is real wet and the leeward side is drier. Its a unique landscape for the eastern US.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 AM

93,391 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
Don't fall into his trap! Let's face it ckhthankgod! If you think by talking about these problems online and somehow there will be a solution then you wouldn't need to defend yourself. However I think you are starting to acknowledge there is a problem in Upstate NY since you are eager to ask for solutions.
I never denied that there are problems in Upstate NY, there are problems in every state and there are redeeming qualities up here as well. I've offered plenty of possibilities for solutions, which is more than what anyone else on here has done and still come on here, even though they have left.

Again, taxes are one aspect of costs. My point has consistently been about overall cost of living, which in Upstate NY is on par with much of the Midwest and South.

As for the incest/gene pool comments, keep it classy.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Simple solution on medicaid recipients who are a major tax burden. Drug test them randomly. Each and every one. Give private companies and medical clinics incentives to take their urine and pull their hair. If they fail, no medicaid. Medicaid doesn't grant you the right to buy drugs while watch Jerry Springer on our dime.
While I wouldn't mind the drug testing and I'm sure that some abuse it, do you think that is what the majority of people do? I think the pay out by counties need to be reduced though.

As for incentives, that can run its course at some time as well. With that said, you can look at my post where I list examples of job expansions and of a couple of places getting jobs from other places and bringing them to NY.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I like Virginia too. Its a nice state. Better move to SC cause NC still gets 7-10 inches of snow a year!
I believe that SC and GA in the mountainous parts of the state get snow as well.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 AM

79 posts, read 226,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I never denied that there are problems in Upstate NY, there are problems in every state and there are redeeming qualities up here as well. I've offered plenty of possibilities for solutions, which is more than what anyone else on here has done and still come on here, even though they have left.

Again, taxes are one aspect of costs. My point has consistently been about overall cost of living, which in Upstate NY is on par with much of the Midwest and South.

As for the incest/gene pool comments, keep it classy.
Wow! You are the best and we all owe you an apology. I wonder why none of your master piece plan has been put into your so called REVITALIZATION. I got a solution for you! They should get rid off the big companies so people can just either work from home or go farming. That way according to you, there will be no wear and tear on the cars which will lower your cost of living further. In addition, you can start laughing harder at people in California for getting stuck in traffic because your commute time will be ZERO!

Keep it real and classy please!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonMassSAHM View Post
Wow! You are the best and we all owe you an apology. I wonder why none of your master piece plan has been put into your so called REVITALIZATION. I got a solution for you! They should get rid off the big companies so people can just either work from home or go farming. That way according to you, there will be no wear and tear on the cars which will lower your cost of living further. In addition, you can start laughing harder at people in California for getting stuck in traffic because your commute time will be ZERO!

Keep it real and classy please!
What is your point? I'm still trying to see what your connection is to NY or even to anything I've posted. I was talking in terms of an aspect of costs. Yikes!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM

40 posts, read 86,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
STAR is just a gimmick at least in NY.

They play around with rates and accessments until they get the ammount they want. Then they jack the ammount up the STAR ammount and tell you your getting a deal. Everybody gets it.

And property tax is only one of the dozens of sneaky taxes here.

The car tax other states have?? I'd love that tax. My rusted out 03 truck would cost pennies. The problem is of coarse NY would add the tax on and not lower anything else. That's the nice thing about modern growing states. They are trying new things.
People forget all about the NYS hidden taxes. The MTA tax on payroll or phone bills. The tax on utilities and transportation companies, on top of gross receipts that drives up the cost of everything delivered and gives us one of the highest utility rates in the country. The taxes on insurance, bridge tolls, gasoline, EVERYTHING is higher priced here. NYS overall tax burden is almost unbearable.

The hidden tax in New York’s energy bills

http://taxfoundation.org/state-tax-climate/new-york

http://taxfoundation.org/article/new...rden-1977-2010
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York