Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:51 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,804 times

Advertisements

Like most people these days, I left NY to move South. I hate it. I am so homesick. It's been 2 1/2 yrs and I have not gotten used to this southern life (Florida and GA). The grass is not always greener on the other side. I wish that I could be posting about moving to NY. For those of you moving to NY, it's a wonderful state, whether you live in the City or upstate. NY actually has laws that make sense. I took many things for granted when i lived in NY and now I wish that I were back. For example, Florida and GA are both "right to work" states, which basically means that you can get fired from your job for no **** reason at all. Is that crazy or what? Where are the unions? There are no real restaurants, no culture, no nice people. And they say NYers are rude?! I don't think so. The whole southern hospitality thing is a myth. I MISS NEW YORK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 199,615 times
Default Amen To That!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
Like most people these days, I left NY to move South. I hate it. I am so homesick. It's been 2 1/2 yrs and I have not gotten used to this southern life (Florida and GA). The grass is not always greener on the other side. I wish that I could be posting about moving to NY. For those of you moving to NY, it's a wonderful state, whether you live in the City or upstate. NY actually has laws that make sense. I took many things for granted when i lived in NY and now I wish that I were back. For example, Florida and GA are both "right to work" states, which basically means that you can get fired from your job for no **** reason at all. Is that crazy or what? Where are the unions? There are no real restaurants, no culture, no nice people. And they say NYers are rude?! I don't think so. The whole southern hospitality thing is a myth. I MISS NEW YORK.
I'm originaly fron Long Island and moved to Kissimmee 4months ago. I HATE IT! i'm already in the process of selling my house. I HATE the weather, the food, the people(RUDE), the low paying Jobs, Traffic(and they says NY is bad, I don't think so) People here drive slow like turtles and can't drive. I see accidents (multiple cars too) everyday. utilities here are out of control. I'm so home sick. I keep thinking of the holidays with snow and hole positive vibe people have in NY and I want it all back.

NEW YORK I'm Coming back Even if I have to work 2jobs to pay my mortgage but, it's all worth it.

Good Bye Florida,Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2006 at 09:45 AM..

Old 10-21-2006, 02:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
While I don't share the disdain for the south as much as the two above posters, I do find the whole "new south utopia" extremely overrated and also plan on returning to NY (upstate) after relocated to NC almost 12 years ago. I don't think you can paint all of the people with a broad brush as being mean ignorant rednecks...because that's the same as southerners saying all northerners are fastalking rude mobsters. I actually find the many transplanted northerners who complain about the north even after they've left to be the most irritating.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:33 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Hate to clue you but New York is also a Right to Work state. You can be fired (or quit) at any time for any reason or no reason at all. There is no more protection in New York than elsewhere. The only exception is if you are under an employment contract or collective bargaining agreement.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:53 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
New York is not a right to work state; and I see that as a bad thing. Right to work states make closed shops (or companies where everyone is forced to join the union, whether they want to or not) illegal. I still think New York is a great place despite some of it's fiscal flaws, and that's why I want to move back.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:42 PM
77t

16 posts, read 86,829 times
To Quote My Wife If You Can't Find It In The Northeast You Can't Find It ..i Live On Staten Island Travel All Over With My Wife And On My Harley ..just Today I Rode To Strasburg Pa Then Followed The Delaware To New Hope With A Buddy Of Mine...beautiful Day The Trees Are At There Peak...i Know At Lease 30 People Who Have Moved Back From Down South And Out West.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:21 PM

233 posts, read 906,774 times
Default What are you looking for?

Well, I have now lived in 4 states, and I have something negative to say about all of them, but then I have something positive to say as well.

When I first moved to GA from NY, it took me maybe 4 to 5 years to get used to the environment. I missed NY to the point of entertainment, friends and family. However, as a single person, I have to think about my life in the long run. Personally, I do not feel like I would ever be able to own anything living in NY.

I feel the South was more flexible for me. Meaning, at a young age I was able to move there and afford an apartment, car and manage to attend school on my own.

While looking for an apartment in NY, I was told by landlords that they preferred tenants with Section 8. At the time I was in school, but had no real direction, and I didn't need a car in NY, but I wanted a car for convenience.

I think NY neglected certain areas of the city. Meaning, if you want to go to nice stores, then you have to commute to Westchester, Long Island, and NJ. Living outside of NY, certain stores are not an issue. In MD, I had Ikea on the corner; In GA I lived by 3 malls (bad traffic); and in NC I live walking distance to a mini shopping center which includes a Super Target, so I rarely go to the Supermarket.

I think I will buy a house in my current neighborhood, however in 5 to 7 years I will once again review my neighborhood and needs, and if need be, move on.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:39 PM

70 posts, read 85,064 times
Default 6 or 12 months more, then lets GTFOH and go home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
There is SOME southern hospitality. I've been to places in the south where I actually felt "weird" because people were being so nice. Oddly enough the two places that stand out have similar names. Columbia, SC and Columbus, GA. I think the more you can appreciate how they live, the more they will like you. Too many NY'ers go elsewhere and hate it because well to us, most places outside of NY just plain suck. However, these people like living that way. So when you take an area that has seen a large amount of people from either NY or the northeast in general, move in over a short period of time, the locals will exhibit some frustration in dealing with it. I would never trade the experience though. Living in the state of Pennsylvania for the last 6 years has made me appreciate both New York City and Long Island alike. If you were born in NY, it's just too hard to leave. These other states are probably just fine for the people that were born there as well.

Some people actually like driving 35 mph in a 45mph zone.
Some people like taking a 10-count before pulling off at a green light.
Some people like waiting for stop signs to turn green.
Some people like slowing to 3mph in sun glare, just in case its the mothership.
Some people actually like Hardees, and consider it a fine restaraunt.
Some people are fine with being 4th in line while the idiot in the front is chatting with the clerk about their sisters husbands neices wedding and how great it was.
Some people (in PA) are fine with spending $1000 at a store and having the cashier not even say "Thank You".
Some people enjoy having only two kinds of music at the CD store, Country AND Western.
Some people think George Bush is doing a fine job.
Some people think they're on the cutting edge of fashion because they bought a new Stetson.
..and some people think horseshoes is a sport.

Unfortunately, I aint' one of those people

Let's just sit back and wait for that RE market in NYC/LI to take a nice healthy dump, then we'll all rush in and pick up the pieces. 6 to 12 more months should do the trick. In the meantime, start packing that stuff you never use. That's what we're doing. Then in about 9 months "Hello is this Uhaul? Yeah, I want a BIG truck, one way to Suffolk County Long Island."

Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Moov View Post
Let's just sit back and wait for that RE market in NYC/LI to take a nice healthy dump, then we'll all rush in and pick up the pieces. 6 to 12 more months should do the trick. In the meantime, start packing that stuff you never use. That's what we're doing. Then in about 9 months "Hello is this Uhaul? Yeah, I want a BIG truck, one way to Suffolk County Long Island."
Yeah right!!!.. Keep waiting, because it isn't going to happen anytime soon. The booming job market & economy in the NYC metro area will ensure rapidly rising home prices & rents for the forseeable future.

Unfortunately even in a booming economy like we have been in for the past 5 years, some get left behind and haven't seen their income double or triple like many others have and cannot afford to live here.

The only 'affordable' decent area in Nassau county is maybe Levittown, but taxes are ridiculous meaning a $400,000 home has property taxes of $8,000 a year.

If anything prices may 'only' rise between 5% - 10% a year for the next 5 years but there won't be anything approaching the real estate or economic slump from the early 1990's..

Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 PM

70 posts, read 85,064 times
Default Look out below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Yeah right!!!.. Keep waiting, because it isn't going to happen anytime soon. The booming job market & economy in the NYC metro area will ensure rapidly rising home prices & rents for the forseeable future.

Unfortunately even in a booming economy like we have been in for the past 5 years, some get left behind and haven't seen their income double or triple like many others have and cannot afford to live here.

The only 'affordable' decent area in Nassau county is maybe Levittown, but taxes are ridiculous meaning a $400,000 home has property taxes of $8,000 a year.

If anything prices may 'only' rise between 5% - 10% a year for the next 5 years but there won't be anything approaching the real estate or economic slump from the early 1990's..

Sorry, I disagree. The market is absolutely flooded right now, and is getting worse. The only houses that are selling are the recently refurbished, and priced to sell. The greedy ones selling run down houses at a $50k premium will have their houses for months if not years unless they change their attitude. I looked at 3 houses on Friday. I went up there, just to see what was what. 2 out of 3 of those people were leaving the Island. Again, two people selling, but not buying again in the area, very common trend. I can tell though, you must be selling a house I'm sorry, but if it's 3 beds/1.5 baths, it will be a LONG time before its sold. Long Island has a lot of baby boomers. The ones that retire early, with kids out of the house, have no need to pay those ridiculous taxes. They're heading out. Most of the working class/lower middle class just plain can't afford it. We are looking to go back because many LI public schools are better than PA private schools. So the $4000 jump in property taxes is a bargain to us. We look at it as only $2000 a year tuition per kid. Lets not even talk about the jump in cost to live in PA over the last few years. I almost fell over when I found gas CHEAPER in Long Island than my area in PA.

As far as the 90's, this will be much worse. Look for 10-30% drop in values over the next 24 months, depending on rates. I just saw a bank forclosure listed at $100k below "market value", or $100k below what most of the houses in the area are LISTED at is a better way to put it. When you see the banks start dumping like that, in an upscale area, you know it's going down hill fast. Granted it was bid up a little bit over that price, but they only sold it $23k higher than listing price. Thats $77k less than current average asking price.

As far as the "booming job market" thing goes. Check the salaries. It's only booming if the salaries are going higher. Otherwise its what you have, which is people leaving the area, and companies trying to fill their spots at a discount. NY is still higher than most areas, but not by the margin it used to be.

I honestly don't know where you are living, but nobody I know in LI seems to have the same view from their back yard. I'm still trying to figure out the "booming economy" comment.

Wish ya the best on that 5-10% thing if you own a house there, but don't go all-in on that bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York