Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 21,635 times

Advertisements

O.K., Middletown Resident, I have read a lot of negative things about the city, but I am looking for those that have good things to say. I am new to the community and actually like my quiet neighborhood. I don't think the area is that bad so tell me about your good times. I don't have school aged children and I am not old either... So spill your guts, and please keep it clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 25,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmBklyn View Post
O.K., Middletown Resident, I have read a lot of negative things about the city, but I am looking for those that have good things to say. I am new to the community and actually like my quiet neighborhood. I don't think the area is that bad so tell me about your good times. I don't have school aged children and I am not old either... So spill your guts, and please keep it clean.
Hi Frm BKLYN. I happen to be from Brooklyn also and moved recently to middletown in November. I built a house in a fairly new developement called Presidential ridge. During the course of the building of the house -ALL
I read was negative comments about moving there. I was getting really nervous. I was even advised to try to back out of the contract if I could.
Well we went foward, and to be honest, I am glad I didnt listen to all the negativity that is spread all over the threads here about Middletown.
Yes-there are some shady areas in the city of middletown itself. But every city you go to has a "bad" area if thats what you want to call it. I was born and raised in Brooklyn and moved to the Bronx. There is no comparison to living in the Bronx. My kids are young-one is 9 -goes to elementary school. She loves it. My little one is 4 and is attending a Montessori school which is absolutly fantastic. I work in Manhattan and honestly -I am very happy to come home to my quiet neighborhood.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 AM

Default I agree

I am glad you are happy about your move to Middletown. I also am pleased with our relocation. Every now and then, however, I do miss the Brooklyn noise, but quickly recover. Thanks for your input... Maybe us new Middletownites can impact this city with a little positive NYC umph for the better.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:26 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
I grew up in Middletown, and return regularly to visit my family. There are a TON of NYC folks moving there.

There is plenty to do in Middletown and the surrounding area. There are some really nice restaurants, but you may have to drive to get to them. I can't really think of a "fine" dining restaurant in Middletown. Go sit in the Colonial diner and ask anyone there to point you in the direction of whatever type food you're looking for.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 19,011 times
FrmBklyn & Bellmes,
My husband and I are interested in that area for our family as well in the near future. We now live in Harlem, trust me, we have seen bad. I too want to hear about the good for a change. we are fortunate enough to have moved to an up and coming area where they are building townhomes and condos and openinng new shops but it is still too expensive to buy here. Do you happen to know the school district you are in? And how far are you from scotchtown? I hear some good things about that area too. Just trying to get an idea of the area.

Thanks

Last edited by swnichelle; 02-02-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 04:49 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
I grew up in Scotchtown. Depending on where in Scotchtown you live you will be in one of three school districts: Goshen, Pine Bush, or Middletown. I would avoid Middletown. Goshen and Pine Bush are pretty solid. I went to Goshen, then Minisink. Minisink school district covers a big area. It been very popular with NYC transplanters.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 22,077 times
to answer the fine dining question, well for one your not in the city so yeah you have to drive where ever your going...duh.

there are some really great restaurants that tend to go unnoticed in the mtown area because every one tends to gravitate towards all of the chain restaurants.

Hana Restaurant on 211 one of my favorites, it's beautiful inside and the food is fantastic, they serve some delicious sushi and korean cuisine.

Blue Finn in Middletown is another great Sushi restaurant in Middletown (Dolson Ave)

For something other than Sushi there's Saffron, which is also on Dolson, its fantastic Indian food.

Nina on North St in the City of Middletown is great italian food.

being that so many people are moving to middletown little restaurants are popping up every where and they are all pretty good.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:55 AM

Thanks for the restaurant information Stef. One question though... why do you want to move?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM

6 posts, read 22,077 times
lived on the east coast long enough.. just ready for a change

Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM

14 posts, read 62,083 times
prices for homes are better in middletown then in the towns surrounding it. There is a new grammer school. All major shopping centers are minutes away. easy access to highway. Quiet in most parts of town. Cab service and newly added police officers. OCCC college in town, main post office and The Record newspaper in town. You wanted only the good. I could tell you much more if you like, just let me know what you need to know about. I am a 21 year resident of the neighboring area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York