Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 05:58 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,764,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post

Yeah, why?
See now... I think that's just beautiful! lol - I'm definitely meant to stay here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 AM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
You just described CNY to a T!!!!!!!!

Never seen anything that would be "NY Pride". Not even sure what it would look like. Not everybody hates NY but nobody loves it either.

With the exception of SU. In all colors but overwhelmingly ORANGE. I recently needed a new camo hat and even they have the SU orange emblem. Safety first I guess. I don't follow sports but I can tell when they are doing good cause its a sea of orange. Everywhere you look. I don't think there is a single item of anykind not sold in SU orange.

Again I don't follow sports so I don't know if they hate anybody.
Since you aren't a sports fan, you don't understand how big college football is in the South and in comparison to Syracuse University football. SU Basketball is different, but it still doesn't compare. I suggest looking at the ESPN 30 for 30 Documentary "Roll Tide/War Eagle", which is about the football rivalry between the University of Alabama and Auburn University. It actually perfectly illustrates what Henry10 stated. Check this out, for an example: http://youtu.be/hm8AqL9FV-o They aren't playing around, man.

Here's the documentary, if interested: http://youtu.be/MtTgLku6AuU

As for SU Basketball, it was Georgetown, but not anymore. I still wouldn't say that it was on the same, consistent level though.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-31-2014 at 06:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 07:48 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,367,854 times
Sean®:
Quote:
Never seen anything that would be "NY Pride". Not even sure what it would look like.
Occasionally I've seen a few people wearing "I love New York" apparel while I was living in New York, but not that often. It's nothing like out here. Not a day goes by when you don't see people wearing apparel sporting our state flag or name in some fashion unrelated to sports. Makes me happy. Most people at least all of the ones I have encountered genuinely do love it out here. It is rare to hear people griping and complaining about life in Arizona. At least not to the same degree as New York. The ones that do are people like "VT'ah" who have no business moving to another state in the first place.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-31-2014 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 07:51 AM

MinkeyM:
Quote:
Oh yes, you CAN research, by actually going to a place, spending time there, speaking to local people, and even attending a church service if that's your thing. You spend time driving/walking the area, hanging out in restaurants/bars (best info ever) and surfing realtors in person.
Absolutely! Maybe that's why both you and I love our adopted home states. It's imperative to do so otherwise you'll end up like "VT'ah".

Old 12-31-2014, 09:08 AM

444 posts, read 583,042 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
MinkeyM:

Absolutely! Maybe that's why both you and I love our adopted home states. It's imperative to do so otherwise you'll end up like "VT'ah".
I have no idea why you are attacking me for what I wrote. I live in a state that has some of the lowest pay for teachers and some of the worst school systems. Yet, the people continue to elect state officials (car salesmen, eye doctors) who veto budgets that would fund the schools. The attitude is, they don't want no "nanny state." Yet, the people come out of the woodwork to fight for their rights to conceal carry a handgun at a state family fair? The population here doubles every 10 years, if they don't fix things everything will go to hell...look at the NC forum, cheaply built houses, urban sprawl, bad healthcare, unfunded schools, etc...and the anti-northern sentiment sucks.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM

19,270 posts, read 17,147,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT'ah View Post
I have no idea why you are attacking me for what I wrote. I live in a state that has some of the lowest pay for teachers and some of the worst school systems. Yet, the people continue to elect state officials (car salesmen, eye doctors) who veto budgets that would fund the schools. The attitude is, they don't want no "nanny state." Yet, the people come out of the woodwork to fight for their rights to conceal carry a handgun at a state family fair? The population here doubles every 10 years, if they don't fix things everything will go to hell...look at the NC forum, cheaply built houses, urban sprawl, bad healthcare, unfunded schools, etc...and the anti-northern sentiment sucks.
Can you provide a link(s) for where these subjects are being discussed? I just looked through the posted titles on all the NC Boards and didn't see anything negative catching my eye.

Curious where in the state are you living?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:34 AM

VT'ah:
Quote:
I have no idea why you are attacking me for what I wrote.
I figured you wouldn't. Your mind is in a vault. I don't think you have any idea of why you moved there? You just barge right in, complain, and have the attitude that you are somehow better or smarter than them. They need your enlightened guidance. That the people who already live there need to change their ways to suit your needs. They need you to tell them how to live and what's wrong with their state. You'd be much better off and a lot happier if you would just mind your own business and move to a state with people of your own kind, way of thinking, and leave these people the hell alone. You're just another Liberal elitist who thinks that "more money" and government control is the answer to fix everything. There is a reason there is a lot of anti-northern sentiment and that is because of people like you. You, in all your enlightened wisdom just can't seem to figure that out.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-31-2014 at 10:01 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM

4,321 posts, read 4,217,267 times
Quote:
Sean®:

Occasionally I've seen a few people wearing "I love New York" apparel while I was living in New York, but not that often. It's nothing like out here. Not a day goes by when you don't see people wearing apparel sporting our state flag or name in some fashion unrelated to sports. Makes me happy. Most people at least all of the ones I have encountered genuinely do love it out here. It is rare to hear people griping and complaining about life in Arizona. At least not to the same degree as New York. The ones that do are people like "VT'ah" who have no business moving to another state in the first place.
I do see NY people wear clothing (teeshirts, caps, etc) that display their town name, for example "Rochester", or "Made in Brooklyn", or "FDNY", etc. etc. I see upstate farmers who sell my street that wear clothing that say "NY Grown."

NYS is almost 20 million people and I am sure you will see people wear all kinds of things. In the South, I mostly see College ball insignia. Nothing wrong with that.

Yet, it is true that Florida just passed NYS and became the 3rd most populous state. It also true that more young people are moving towards southern and western states, and the rust belt states are losing their appeal, save for the largest cities, such as NYC, Boston, Chicago, which still attract young folks in search of career points, before they also eject to the South and West.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 AM

Henry10:
Quote:
I do see NY people wear clothing (teeshirts, caps, etc) that display their town name, for example "Rochester", or "Made in Brooklyn", or "FDNY", etc. etc. I see upstate farmers who sell my street that wear clothing that say "NY Grown."
I've given it a little more thought, and think that it is more prevalent out here, because of all the tourists who visit here from all over the United States and world. There is hardly a shop or store anywhere that does not sell Arizona related souvenirs or apparel. Arguably, we have some of the most spectacular scenery on the face of the earth and the weather to go along with it. Another reason I chose to live here and am not disappointed in the least. Arizona is the 6th largest state, covers a lot of area and has a wide variety of scenic places to choose from. My favorite place is the Sonoran Desert. This is not to say that New York does not have any scenic places. It just doesn't have as many of them or the variety that Arizona has to offer.

All that being said I do find that there are more people that are proud of being an Arizonan than a New Yorker. This from my own personal experiences. People just don't seem to be as uptight and are generally upbeat and pleasant. Living out here is almost like one big vacation, there really isn't any reason to go anywhere else. I've been all over the country except for the south. I hated living in New York, it was alright growing up there as a kid. As an adult trying to earn a living and keeping your head above water while watching your hard earned money disappear into that vast cesspool of corruption which is the state and local governments, it was indeed hell on earth. Being a hard right "Gun toting Conservative" didn't help either.

I never had any desire to go to Florida or the south, not that there is anything wrong with those places I would choose any of them over New York any day. However for me nothing beats Arizona and the great American Southwest. There's just nothing like it!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:56 AM

444 posts, read 583,042 times
Default Your Wrong

Quote:
VT'ah:

I figured you wouldn't. Your mind is in a vault. I don't think you have any idea of why you moved there? You just barge right in, complain, and have the attitude that you are somehow better or smarter than them. They need your enlightened guidance. That the people who already live there need to change their ways to suit your needs. They need you to tell them how to live and what's wrong with their state. You'd be much better off and a lot happier if you would just mind your own business and move to a state with people of your own kind, way of thinking, and leave these people the hell alone. You're just another Liberal elitist who thinks that "more money" and government control is the answer to fix everything. There is a reason there is a lot of anti-northern sentiment and that is because of people like you. You, in all your enlightened wisdom just can't seem to figure that out.

I don't take what you say seriously because I am an army veteran and quite middle of the road...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York