Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 PM

444 posts, read 581,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Can you provide a link(s) for where these subjects are being discussed? I just looked through the posted titles on all the NC Boards and didn't see anything negative catching my eye.

Curious where in the state are you living?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ue-budget.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...t-teacher.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...s-cheapen.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...accidents.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ls-law-nc.html

this is the last time I engage angry people on this forum btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:05 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Henry10:

I've given it a little more thought, and think that it is more prevalent out here, because of all the tourists who visit here from all over the United States and world. There is hardly a shop or store anywhere that does not sell Arizona related souvenirs or apparel. Arguably, we have some of the most spectacular scenery on the face of the earth and the weather to go along with it. Another reason I chose to live here and am not disappointed in the least. Arizona is the 6th largest state, covers a lot of area and has a wide variety of scenic places to choose from. My favorite place is the Sonoran Desert. This is not to say that New York does not have any scenic places. It just doesn't have as many of them or the variety that Arizona has to offer.

All that being said I do find that there are more people that are proud of being an Arizonan than a New Yorker. This from my own personal experiences. People just don't seem to be as uptight and are generally upbeat and pleasant. Living out here is almost like one big vacation, there really isn't any reason to go anywhere else. I've been all over the country except for the south. I hated living in New York, it was alright growing up there as a kid. As an adult trying to earn a living and keeping your head above water while watching your hard earned money disappear into that vast cesspool of corruption which is the state and local governments, it was indeed hell on earth. Being a hard right "Gun toting Conservative" didn't help either.

I never had any desire to go to Florida or the south, not that there is anything wrong with those places I would choose any of them over New York any day. However for me nothing beats Arizona and the great American Southwest. There's just nothing like it!
It's very unfair to compare NY to Arizona today, on a frigid Dec day. Let's have this conversation in July / August.

There are personal tastes in weather, climate and scenery. I don't care too much for the South-West, but I love Southern-California. I like being close to the beaches and the mountains.

I too despise most policies in NY and NYC, yet I have many personal reasons why I live in the NYC, where Democrats win 122% of the vote.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
VT'ah:
Well of course you wouldn't you refuse to accept it. I'll say it again you have no business moving to another state and trying to ram your agenda or desires down other people's throats. Especially those who have lived there way longer than you and are satisfied with their way of life. You do not belong there period. What in God's name does being an Army vet have to do with anything? You've got this "I'm better than you attitude". It's no wonder you are not accepted and are miserable in your adopted state. Get over yourself. Middle of the road? I doubt it.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
VT'ah:
Well of course you wouldn't you refuse to accept it. I'll say it again you have no business moving to another state and trying to ram your agenda or desires down other people's throats. Especially those who have lived there way longer than you and are satisfied with their way of life. You do not belong there period. What in God's name does being an Army vet have to do with anything? You've got this "I'm better than you attitude". It's no wonder you are not accepted and are miserable in your adopted state. Get over yourself. Middle of the road? I doubt it.

It's the same thing in Idaho boards I visit sometimes. California ex-pats who move to Idaho, in an attempt to escape from what they call a "cesspool." Yet they soon get frustrated why Idahoans run their State their way, and not like "we used to do things in California."

Same thing I hear it's happening to Colorado and Arizona.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Henry10:
Quote:
It's very unfair to compare NY to Arizona today, on a frigid Dec day. Let's have this conversation in July / August.
Actually it is snowing out here today and it is probably warmer there in NYC. I live in central Arizona where the summers are the same temperature wise as New York except there is low humidity. At night it goes down to the low 60's. Winters we average about 55 degrees, teens at night. We get about 4 snowstorms per season of about 6 to 8 inches it usually melts in a day or two but remains on grassy surfaces and in the mountains making for a spectacular sight. The roads never look filthy. There is no such thing as the winter blues out here. Even on days when the temps are in the 50's you can go outside wearing a long sleeve shirt as the suns rays are rather warm and you don't have that raw damp cold. If you live where the elevation is between 4000 and 7000 ft. It really is the perfect climate. Anything below that and you will fry your ass off during the summer. Anything above that and you get snow, lots of it, not too often but when it does it snows. The Sonoran Desert is only an hour away from me and we go there quite often and whenever we choose. The hottest I've ever been in was in Wikieup when it was 118 it's located in the Mojave Desert off of highway 93. You just have to experience it! Like they say "it's a dry heat". But it's still freakin' hot, sucks the moisture right out of you. But hey, it wouldn't be the desert without the heat.

Yes, we are a large great big wonderful country and there is a place for just about everyone. I have found my paradise and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 12-31-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Henry10:
Quote:
Same thing I hear it's happening to Colorado and Arizona.
"It's those damn Californians". Yes we do have that out here too, that's why I get so upset with people like "VT'ah". I specifically moved out here not to want to change things but because I love it here the way things are and hopefully always will be. I will fight these people tooth and nail at every opportunity I get. I know many Californians and other transplants that feel the same way I do, all great people. It's not right that people such as "VT'ah" give transplants a bad rep. Although I have to admit we really haven't had any problems or bad vibes from the locals when they learned we were from New York. Before we moved we did not know a single soul from Arizona.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Henry10:

Actually it is snowing out here today and it is probably warmer there in NYC. I live in central Arizona where the summers are the same temperature wise as New York except there is low humidity. At night it goes down to the low 60's. Winters we average about 55 degrees, teens at night. We get about 4 snowstorms per season of about 6 to 8 inches it usually melts in a day or two but remains on grassy surfaces and in the mountains making for a spectacular sight. The roads never look filthy. There is no such thing as the winter blues out here. Even on days when the temps are in the 50's you can go outside wearing a long sleeve shirt as the suns rays are rather warm and you don't have that raw damp cold. If you live where the elevation is between 4000 and 7000 ft. It really is the perfect climate. Anything below that and you will fry your ass off during the summer. Anything above that and you get snow, lots of it, not too often but when it does it snows. The Sonoran Desert is only an hour away from me and we go there quite often and whenever we choose. The hottest I've ever been in was in Wikieup when it was 118 it's located in the Mojave Desert off of highway 93. You just have to experience it! Like they say "it's a dry heat". But it's still freakin' hot, sucks the moisture right out of you. But hey, it wouldn't be the desert without the heat.

Yes, we a a large great big wonderful country and there is a place for just about everyone. I have found my paradise and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.
Prescott - Flagstaff area is beautiful. I may even hit that this coming August.

I lived for a couple of years in Bakersfield, CA in my youth, and have fond memories of the desert, including Mojave's. That was before I went to UCLA and discovered the benefits of being a beach bum.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:04 PM

VA'ah:
Quote:
this is the last time I engage angry people on this forum btw.
Talk about being angry? It is you who are angry and miserable, you have nothing good to say about those in your adopted state. I have to confess, I too was angry and miserable while living in New York. But you know what? I got the hell out of there and couldn't be any happier. I suggest you do the people of your adopted state a favor and do the same.

Old 12-31-2014, 01:16 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Angry, I'm not angry and my request couldn't have been nicer. I read through your posts and for what I know of NC here are my views:

Government: Yes I am aware that conservative Republican government was voted in and all the liberal northerners are upset. Not following that states politics too closely they will have to work it out.

Education: Most of the posters appear to be in rural localities and reduction in teaching staff is an issue in every state. No people who teach in my state and any other state are exempt from this. Your not going to tell me that the education is great just because it's a northern state.

Development: I will guess that the complainers are transplants themselves or old time locals. I often find that those who have moved in most recently cry the most against development. I mean they got their slice of heaven and they want to keep everyone else out and of course no one listens/cares. But when their neighborhood was being built and the existing residents complained did they listen??? I think not.

Traffic: It was funny reading complaints about driving from someone who can be identified as being from New Jersey... enough said.

I guess based on these posts the state must be messed up and the fact that it makes most top 10 lists in a positive way must all be false. So head back north and look for what probably doesn't exist and when your school district is making cuts due to budget, or the roads are broken up again due to the weather, or that idiot cuts you off or the elected official doesn't recycle remember that you are living where you want to and that's what matters!

Bless You

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
VA'ah:

Talk about being angry? It is you who are angry and miserable, you have nothing good to say about those in your adopted state. I have to confess, I too was angry and miserable while living in New York. But you know what? I got the hell out of there and couldn't be any happier. I suggest you do the people of your adopted state a favor and do the same.

You have left NY, but NY has not left you. You still speak like a NYer, and born and raised in NYC I know what they sound like. Obviously, NY has left a major stamp on your psyche. Otherwise, you screen name wouldn't have been "ex-New Yorker," but "new Arizonian" or whatever.

I am sure you too liked certain things of NY, while hated others. These others swung the pendulum for you. But I still think trashing your previous home is partly trashing yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York