Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:50 AM

67 posts, read 93,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Sweetpea, I've actually lived in other places, places I relocated to because I went out and found jobs there -- and that was in the pre-internet era when it was a lot harder to get leads on out-of-town jobs.

Whiney crybabies always have excuses for why they can't do something. People who aren't whiney crybabies find ways to deal with their situations, and if they can't do something about their problems, they don't waste their time complaining about them, especially on an internet MB.
Since when does pointing out Buffalo's faults equate to "whining about my problems"? That's quite a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,221,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnthelightsoff View Post
Since when does pointing out Buffalo's faults equate to "whining about my problems"? That's quite a stretch.
When every one of your posts is on the same theme, then yeah, it constitutes "whining" IMO ...

Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
When every one of your posts is on the same theme, then yeah, it constitutes "whining" IMO ...
Same theme? I don't think so. I've run the gamut of topics pertinent to Buffalo. Sports teams, politics, taxes, fashion sense, neighborhoods, lifestyle, dating, strip clubs, and so on. If you say that all of my posts are of the same theme, then I could say the same about you and other Buffalo boosters who go on and on about how great Buffalo is, in sheer defiance of the evidence that exists all around us.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM

You know, Linda. I think one of the major things holding Buffalo back is the fact that the hardcore Buffalo homers, such as yourself, refuse to hear ANY sort of valid criticism about the city. You immediately dismiss any such criticism as "whining", and then go onto attack the messenger without bothering to listen to anyone else's viewpoints. There are some of us who see Buffalo for what it is, a city in decline, but a city that COULD become better if its politicians and residents ever removed their heads from their proverbial asses. Alas, our valid criticisms are met with unyielding resistance, so we eventually become frustrated and leave for greener pastures, as hundreds of thousands of people have done since the 1960s. Those who are left behind will continue voting Democratic, continue being taxed to death, and continue to love every minute of it. Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well with the Buffalo homers.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,026,945 times
Quote:
Why are you only "planning" and not "doing"? You don't like it here, then leave. You don't "plan", you get your resume updated and spiffed up. You get your cover letters composed. You prowl job sites looking for likely positions in the city(cities) you'd like to move to. Jobs aren't going to materialize out of thin air just for you. You have to look for them.

All you've done since you joined this MB a few days ago is whine about Buffalo and NYS, diss Buffalonians, and warn would-be transplants that it's hard to make friends. My suspicion is that you probably won't go anywhere because you don't have the gumption to get off your buttocks and do something about your unhappiness. Instead, you'll just keep complaining.

Your problem isn't Buffalo and environs. IMO your real problem looks back at you from the mirror every day.
Very good points. While you certainly do have the option of sending out your resume and cover letters to whatever other places you want to move to, its generally just easier if you save up a few thousand and go there. If you hit the ground running looking for jobs, you'll find something.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
You know, Linda. I think one of the major things holding Buffalo back is the fact that the hardcore Buffalo homers, such as yourself, refuse to hear ANY sort of valid criticism about the city. You immediately dismiss any such criticism as "whining", and then go onto attack the messenger without bothering to listen to anyone else's viewpoints. There are some of us who see Buffalo for what it is, a city in decline, but a city that COULD become better if its politicians and residents ever removed their heads from their proverbial asses. Alas, our valid criticisms are met with unyielding resistance, so we eventually become frustrated and leave for greener pastures, as hundreds of thousands of people have done since the 1960s. Those who are left behind will continue voting Democratic, continue being taxed to death, and continue to love every minute of it. Stockholm Syndrome is alive and well with the Buffalo homers.
Well, if you're at odds with people from Buffalo, arguing with them is not going to change either them or their politicians. Linda is right, ultimately you should just leave.

I am tired of NYC. Done with it. By early fall, if not a lot sooner, I will be in Los Angeles.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I agree that splitting New York into two separate states would be mutually beneficial for both regions.

As for young people leaving the state, I am planning to relocate myself. San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Denver, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Tampa are the cities that I am considering. All of these mid-sized cities provide a lot more opportunities than Buffalo, which is stuck in a perpetual rut.
Big portions of the upstate economy are based on universities and prisons, and that money comes from downstate. This won't change even if the state was split in two.

As for high taxes, taxes alone aren't the reason why upstate NY doesn't attract major businesses. Its the weather, duh! California, another high tax state has the film and tv industries, the computer/tech industries, has aerospace industry, and a number of other key industries. California also has much better weather than upstate NY.

You could do a major tax cut for NYS, and places like Buffalo are still not coming back in a big way. Its the weather. Buffalo only grew big during the industrial age, and had its hey day in the 1950s when US manufacturing was at its peak. Well, US manufacturing is way down from those days, and in this context Buffalo was a victim of national and global trends.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:59 PM

78 posts, read 83,333 times
You're attributing Buffalo's poor economy solely to the weather? Seriously? Then how do you explain the economic success of other cold-weather cities like Toronto, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Salt Lake City, Seattle, and many others? Parts of California does well, particularly in Silicon Valley, because it has some of the most innovative minds in the country. Same is true for Seattle and Boston. As for motion pictures, California has had to offer filmmakers and TV producers generous tax credits so that they wouldn't relocate to lower-cost states.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,727,493 times
Quote:
I agree that splitting New York into two separate states would be mutually beneficial for both regions.

As for young people leaving the state, I am planning to relocate myself. San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Denver, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Tampa are the cities that I am considering. All of these mid-sized cities provide a lot more opportunities than Buffalo, which is stuck in a perpetual rut.
I'm rooting for you to get out of Buffalo. However, your target cities are kind of all over the map. IMO, you really need to pick ONE spot and attack it 110% balls to the wall. Contact Job Placement agencies in the one city you want and let them do some headhunting. It's kind of an old school approach with internet advances for job applications but you really need to throw everything you can at one wall and see what sticks. I did forewarn you dealing with people in the SLC and Provo areas on the LDS favoritism in many employment venues. However, I gathered that was your most passionate place from our talk last night. Don't settle on a place you aren't passionate about.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:11 PM

78 posts, read 83,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I'm rooting for you to get out of Buffalo. However, your target cities are kind of all over the map. IMO, you really need to pick ONE spot and attack it 110% balls to the wall. Contact Job Placement agencies in the one city you want and let them do some headhunting. It's kind of an old school approach with internet advances for job applications but you really need to throw everything you can at one wall and see what sticks. I did forewarn you dealing with people in the SLC and Provo areas on the LDS favoritism in many employment venues. However, I gathered that was your most passionate place from our talk last night. Don't settle on a place you aren't passionate about.
How about sending applications to employers/headhunters in a cluster of cities (e.g. Salt Lake City, Denver, Colorado Springs, and Albuquerque)? That way, one region would be targeted, but all of your job hunting eggs wouldn't be in a single basket. Thus, if you aren't receiving any responses from employers in SLC (for whatever reason), you are also sending resumes to employers/headhunters in other cities where you might have better luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York