Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 PM

253 posts, read 1,275,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gllt39 View Post
It has been years since I have encountered such a provincial attitude. I could argue that is was my serving in Viet-Nam that allowed you to attend school. That makes as much sense as your line of reasoning.
I hear Palm Beach is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:49 PM

134 posts, read 519,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
We dont want you retirees if this is how you are. You guys ***** about things like school taxes. I grew up and currently live in Hamburg and I know the schools here are excellent quality. So is UB. Its the taxes collected that were used to fund those instutions that allowed you to get educated and then leave.

Then you think you shouldn't put back into the infrastructure of an area you want to live in?

Seriously there is nothing more annoying than old people or retired people complaining about school taxes just cause they don't currently have kids in them... way to go
Wow! So much venom...

So.... a reasonable opinion regarding school property taxes that doesn't match yours is invalid? In my opinion... there is nothing more annoying than someone flaming without direct provocation. Way to go.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:23 PM

22 posts, read 64,016 times
Broad generalization but 3 types of NY'ers in regards to fleeing the state.

1) Those that are "stuck" here. Family obligation, spouse's great paying job, etc.

2) Those that will never EVER leave. Rarely leave their hometowns, or are living within 30 mi radius of where they went to high school. Likely cannot spot Delaware or Idaho on a map. Have known the same people for the past 25+ years, who themselves are from the same area as well.

3) Those that will leave. The explorers. Can see that NYS is in the can and will go elsewhere. Has an element of risk involved. Can see the forest, as well as the trees. Will try to take control of their lives and manage as best they can.

Again, broad generalization, but this applies to really anyone really. in politics, in art, music, etc. People who sit back and are content, people that "blaze" new trails and forge out a new path, etc.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:59 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,721,377 times
Those are pretty ignorant and broad generalizations. There are more than enough people that have traveled across the United States and like to call upstate home, me being one of them.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:04 PM

sorry, i forgot. 4 people.

last, the fighters. the relentless, tried and true I LOVE UPSTATE NY people who will continue to fight the fight, to stick up for their region, who will continue to look for other avenues to make their area great. The glass half-full peoples.....heck, I'd be in this category if I could make it back. But it is likely doubtful. Maybe for my mid-life crisis.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
My these topics get heated. Regardless of which side your on even if the taxes were more reasonable the service for the dollars is not. When I visit my mom in Rockland nothing changes. Same pot holes, same traffice problems just more cars and people. Infastructure upgrades are probably 20+ years behind. Are the schools good, very much so but why should my mother pay $3000 + a year for a system she hasn't used since 1978? There are plenty of new people that use the schools. When I was still a student it was said the Clarkstown teachers were the highest paid in the state yet I remember several years that school started with the teachers on strike over what; who knows.

Having lived in Virginia 25+ years I guess I got spoiled. I only pay one tax (property) that includes everything, I even get trash/leave pick-up for it. The schools my kids attended were excellent as are the colleges they could pick from.

Although I looked at moving back upon retiring from the Navy it wasn't feasable. My job would pay 1.5 time what I make here but housing would be 2.5 times more and the taxes would kill me. For those that have been able to make a life at it, great. At this point I probably wouldn't retire up north due to expenses (taxes) and the weather but thats me.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 17,551 times
Default educationally unprepared??AKA mouse?

You might want to rethink your post. If you think Wake Forest, Duke, NC St, UNC Chapel Hill, Davidson, etc.. are not educating our young adults well enough, I'm scared for the rest of the country. These are some of the finest institutions in the country.
Charlotte has 4 of the 100 highest ranked high schools in the country too. Do the math. 50 states.....
The fact is young people want good weather, availability of good jobs, nightlife, low taxes, access to mountains and beaches, parks, etc.
They also want to feel as if they live somewhere that the rest of the country hasn't forgotten about save for Boston or NYC.
No offense but Buffalo, Schenectady, Albany, Hartford, Springfield MA are not progressive cities on the cusp of greatness nor do they have the big business of a Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Tampa or Richmond.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Those are pretty ignorant and broad generalizations. There are more than enough people that have traveled across the United States and like to call upstate home, me being one of them.
I agree.....but you know what they say about opinions ...no sense making a rebuttal to laughter, they are way too trail-blazing for me...think I'll go watch some paint dry. I hear it was started in upstate NY!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
I agree.....but you know what they say about opinions ...no sense making a rebuttal to laughter, they are way too trail-blazing for me...think I'll go watch some paint dry. I hear it was started in upstate NY!

No offense, I am a nice person. I am just trying to think what other types of people exist. And I did say it was an overarching generalization, but true, for the most part.

This all basically stems from one word--HOME. And it is people trying to get a piece of, or trying to find something lost along the way. Something in NY is lost. OR else there wouldn't be the mass exodus and everyone on these boards crying or complaining and WANTING to come back home. People need to realize this and try to change the way things are currently working with this state. Not just sit back and talk about how great NY is because they haven't run into any problems with it. It isn't great, IT COULD BE, but it isn't on the up and up BY A LONGSHOT.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 PM

134 posts, read 519,755 times
The realities of out-migration compared with in-migration cannot be ignored. I recently came across demographic data published by NYS itself. In a nutshell... the data shows the population will grow at the 46th lowest rate in the nation, and will drop from 3rd largest state to 4th largest by 2025. Obviously other states will continue to see higher population growth for many and various reasons. Economic climate, winter climate, political climate, housing, jobs, locusts... all play a role in this net loss of population.

I have a son that recently moved to Mass. for a job. He is making a huge salary and loves his job. And... I fully expect him to relocate for the next job, which most likely will not be in NY state. Are there good paying high tech jobs in NY? Sure... but not enough and no real effort to improve the business climate is apparent. Instead we have token legislation and bans on trans-fats (in NYC).

While my wife & I are very much planning to relocate south within a few years... I will admit that when I travel out of state, I do feel at home when I cross the state line back into NY. Having lived here all my life, it's familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York