Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,312 times

Advertisements

One thing that is going to be a problem is that these service industry jobs aren't going to be filled by the younger people. Who is their right mind wants to earn $7.25 a hour and work long hours with no benefits and a hassle with managers with power trips? We saw that first hand last year when my oldest tried to get a job here and what a eye opener! I am pleased that she's decided not to put roots down here like we did.

My family moved here from VA/NC back in 53 to work for Texaco. I am born and raised in Dutchess as is my husband. But we've seen the writing on the wall for our time here. We aren't accepted by newer people moving in-we get comments like "why would you want to live here your whole life?" Well after a stint in the military we thought there was no place like home. Ha. Yes, things change anywhere, but here it's been almost to the extreme.

We do need towns to say ok, lets find a way to have affordable housing-we are losing our work force because they can't stay here because the jobs don't pay enough to live in our county. I don't mean setting up every one of us though in downtown Poughkeepsie on Mansion Street either whoused to be middle working class families. Some of the people here have moved in are snobs-oh, you live in where? And then snub you because of where your house is-not a McMansion-you are beneath us.(I've met some very nice people though along the way)

I can't wait to leave here either. We haven't got the salaries to handle the increases this area has seen. At least when I do go, I'll have two homes to sell, be able to buy a smaller home for cash out of NY and invest the rest. Maybe then I'll get to enjoy what the rest of you have, a vacation, the little extras like going out to dinner, and have something left over. So much for having that college degree that I've got around here-employers in Dutchess don't pay squat. I honestly make more driving a school bus than I did when I was a assistant GM at a hotel here. Now that's why people are leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
One thing that is going to be a problem is that these service industry jobs aren't going to be filled by the younger people. Who is their right mind wants to earn $7.25 a hour and work long hours with no benefits and a hassle with managers with power trips? We saw that first hand last year when my oldest tried to get a job here and what a eye opener! I am pleased that she's decided not to put roots down here like we did.

My family moved here from VA/NC back in 53 to work for Texaco. I am born and raised in Dutchess as is my husband. But we've seen the writing on the wall for our time here. We aren't accepted by newer people moving in-we get comments like "why would you want to live here your whole life?" Well after a stint in the military we thought there was no place like home. Ha. Yes, things change anywhere, but here it's been almost to the extreme.

We do need towns to say ok, lets find a way to have affordable housing-we are losing our work force because they can't stay here because the jobs don't pay enough to live in our county. I don't mean setting up every one of us though in downtown Poughkeepsie on Mansion Street either whoused to be middle working class families. Some of the people here have moved in are snobs-oh, you live in where? And then snub you because of where your house is-not a McMansion-you are beneath us.(I've met some very nice people though along the way)

I can't wait to leave here either. We haven't got the salaries to handle the increases this area has seen. At least when I do go, I'll have two homes to sell, be able to buy a smaller home for cash out of NY and invest the rest. Maybe then I'll get to enjoy what the rest of you have, a vacation, the little extras like going out to dinner, and have something left over. So much for having that college degree that I've got around here-employers in Dutchess don't pay squat. I honestly make more driving a school bus than I did when I was a assistant GM at a hotel here. Now that's why people are leaving.

You hit it right on the nose camping mom. The schools are good, except most districts...and I really wish that there was more industry to make the hudson valley appealing...its gotten great at being soccer mom central, all the major shops that people may long for are up here...there is all types of housing, from starter to victorians to the mcmansions..but there isnt any industry..that is the problem period. I think dutchess is a wonderful place when you have small children so they can enjoy the little stuff.

But for the formative years...IE....middle school and high school and beyond..I honestly do not want to live here nor do I want my family raised here. Not because of cost..but I dont see any value in going ot Vassar(while prestigious)..when there are more alive cities around the country to see kwim? Its too quiet..and I dont see anytime within the next 20 years any major corporations comming in to offer the residents anything new and exciting.

And agreed on the service worker...seriously..who is going to take the 7.25 dollar an hour job..what is that 5 bucks after taxes? College/high school kids looking for some summer money, stay at home moms who want some pocket money..or people who need to take on a second job to supplement their income.

But you are not going to attract the professionals that way. There are some very very small pockets of high tech in dutchess..but even IBM doesnt pay the same way.....have friends that say the same job is at least 25k less..and they are still financially ahead by commuting down to the city..gas prices/metro north and all.

But again, it depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. When I walk around the mall, I see professional stay at home moms..who do the soccer mom thing (like myself)..only to find themselves BORED after 2-3 years...because what else is there to do..and just like yourself...4 year degree an all, its not like you are getting paid that much either.

Yes..I am putting the wheels in motion (as much as I like dutchess)....to get outta here within the next 2-3 years.

Heck, even rockland county has some life to it (being near nyc, bergen, and white plains)..its not as "boonie"..kwim?

Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
All who wrote have hit it on the head. I grew up in New City, graduated and won't return, for what? When I retired from the service I had a chance to move back the job would pay 1 1/2 times what they pay here in Richmond Va but my housing costs would be over 2 1/2 times. I didn't feel like having my standard of living disappear. Many lament the loss/lack of manufaturing jobs, why would a company want to have a production facility in the state? With the unions and all the other taxes and service costs they can produce their product else where for much less.

The farming problem is the same everywhere, more and more small farms are turning into Mc Mansions even here. I don't what what the solution is but until a community can provide a reson to live/work there people will continue to leave. Of course it appears that 90 minute commutes are acceptable so some communities may survive as a bedroom town.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:44 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Every time someone leaves NYS they should send the Governor, their state senator and maybe the head of their local government a little note explaining why they had to move. It'd be cheaper on the tax payers then Spitzer's wife starting another initiative to figure out the obvious.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 AM

253 posts, read 1,275,121 times
There is really only one reason young people are leaving Upstate NY and its jobs. You guys can complain about taxes and housing and corrupt or lazy politicians all you want, and I'm saying none of that stuff matters that much to the 22-26 yr old college grad just getting out of school. Cause they are done with school and now its time to find a job in their field. So fast forward 3-6 months later they are still looking and still working at their same old service job they've had all through college. Then they start looking outside the area or mainly outside the state - find a job - and then move.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM

253 posts, read 1,275,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
The farming problem is the same everywhere, more and more small farms are turning into Mc Mansions even here. I don't what what the solution is but until a community can provide a reson to live/work there people will continue to leave. Of course it appears that 90 minute commutes are acceptable so some communities may survive as a bedroom town.
You say companies will never go in the old rust belt cause of union and high taxes so everything shifted down south - and now EVERYONE is going there, and now people are complaining the areas are getting ruined

Well businesses and people are gonna keep piling into your low tax, union-free area enjoy the sprawl, cause its never gonna stop. Well actually it will stop when we can't relocate our entire country around whoever has the lowest tax rate at the moment (plus these southern cities are finding out .. they want all those big office towers, they need tax dollars to run a city - so taxes go up!)

Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_mouse View Post
There is really only one reason young people are leaving Upstate NY and its jobs. You guys can complain about taxes and housing and corrupt or lazy politicians all you want, and I'm saying none of that stuff matters that much to the 22-26 yr old college grad just getting out of school. Cause they are done with school and now its time to find a job in their field. So fast forward 3-6 months later they are still looking and still working at their same old service job they've had all through college. Then they start looking outside the area or mainly outside the state - find a job - and then move.

You are right...in probably doesnt matter to much to a 22-26 year old who is finallly done with a undergrad or grad degree..they just want to get out and EARN. I could care less about the politicians...but the one thing that I stand firm..and this is ONLY with regards to the OP mention of the Hudson Valley area, is that there are not enough big time employers to pay that kind of salary.

Okay, take real estate, taxes out of the mix..again, the person in their 20's wants to earn earn earn. I am in my 30's..so I can totally relate..but their does come a time, when you have to buckle down and look at the big picture, and these days, there is absolutely NO excuse for someone who is in their 20/30s who is not financially saavy enough to understand the value of investments, retirement and future college savings. Most of the late 20's early 30's people that I come across already talk of saving up just to by a condo..not neccesarily in NY..but in general...I think once you hit your late 20's you realize that financially you are better of owning a piece of real estate if only to build your investment portfolio.

Whether its NY/NC/FL wherever, the problem is that people find more bang for their buck outside of major metro areas SPECIFICALLY THE NY or CA areas...and are willing to take a little less salary if they have the possibility of a 30 minute commute and the oppurtunity to by that first condo and start their life..Period. And quite frankly...its probably a smart move.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:32 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
If they're saving up to buy a condo then they've been brain washed about home ownership. Most of these kids are better off finding a good job somewhere, renting a place and investing their money instead of putting their lives on hold looking to home ownership as an investment.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
If they're saving up to buy a condo then they've been brain washed about home ownership. Most of these kids are better off finding a good job somewhere, renting a place and investing their money instead of putting their lives on hold looking to home ownership as an investment.

No one is saying to put your life on hold, or to be brainwashed..its a simple fact real estate ownership should (operative word) is should be goal in life. If one feels like renting for the rest of their life and investing is the way to go..thats is a choice.

And of course the first step is to find a good paying job..but again, its a much bigger problem..as getting a solid education and a 4 year university degree is minimum (unless you are just "that" good in a sales position--real estate, stocks, etc etc)--and come fresh out of high school and try your luck at it.

But getting a college degree is a whole different thread. For the purpose of this thread...younger people are fleeing the state because they would like to see more bang for their hard earned buck period. Whether its a mcmansion in NC or simply a home in the adirondacks that they are happy with.

Its all relative on the person.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:18 PM

136 posts, read 778,586 times
Quote:
So you have entire counties suffering from a bedroom community effect of you cannot work and live in the same county--unless you are doctor/dentist/own your own business or have the luxury of telecommuting.
I work just south of Poughkeepsie, and a good portion the folks that work in this site also live in Dutchess county. I commute daily between Rhinebeck and Poughkeepsie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York