Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You're probably referring to the "ignore" feature which I never use as I'm always interested in what posters have to say. I don't need a forum ignore function to block posters' comments but, like you and many others, can choose to skip and choose where a response is concerned. There are several posters on this and other CD forums who feel a sense of "belonging" when their threads are responded to.

There is no addictive element where Tylenol is concerned and thus you are sadly misinformed. Maybe you should read some of the previous posts on this thread and also educate yourself where "Tylenol addiction" is concerned. A Tylenol "habit" which way exceeds the daily recommended dose can be very damaging to the body. Read on, read on, but Tylenol in and of itself isn't addictive.

I know several people who get headaches when they don't take their over the counter pain relievers (some of them are Tylenol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 11:47 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,475,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
donie, I always enjoy your posts and find them to be very thoughtful. However, for you to pronounce that Katie has a low IQ without ever having met her (and are you a professional?) while she may well be "in the same room with us" is possibly hurtful and detrimental to Katie's well being and also possibly not true at all. There may well be something going on that none of us know about.

That is all.
Maybe I shouldn't have said low IQ as much as a low maturity level. If she started using at the age of 12 y.o., then she might have the maturity levels of a 12 y.o.

So I should apologize for saying that about her IQ.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
There is the belief that once somebody starts abusing, they stunt their emotional growth. Why bother to learn from hardship, the alcohol or drugs make it all go away. They get into a regiment of not dealing with problems so there's no learning, or maturing from dealing with things like bills, relationships and so on. I'm 48, but in some ways no more mature than say a 17yr old. And I simply quit drinking for a 15 year stretch all by myself once. But the insecurities, the problem solving, the anger was all still there, I was simply denying myself my only known medication. What we do is supply an alternative 'med' to drinking! Support, fellowship, working on correcting things, and eventually a broken nail isn't a reason to go on a bender. This doesn't mean bad things stop happening to you, what happens is you learn to deal with them, you get advice from people who also have conquered virtually anything you can come up with. But none of this happens while you still think YOU have to control everything, and you don't listen to people. All the well wishing, and sympathy in the world doesn't help. And it takes time. Getting ANY addict to believe all this is the entire problem, in a nutshell. Thus you have this woman, who posts and posts about her trials and trevails, only really wanting sympathy. And posters get upset with her because they quickly realize she doesn't listen to any advice. It's classic addict behavior.

Do you think anybody in kindergarten when asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, answered "I wanna be a crack addict!"...well, maybe Robin Williams..
What you are saying is 100% correct. I noticed from my family members that are addicts to my clients that were addicts that they all had something in common. They had no coping skills which got them into addictions. Then whatever age they started using was the age were they're maturity level stopped.

I would see 50 y.o. women coming into the clinic dressed and acting like a 15 y.o. If I asked them when they started using, it would be around the age that they dressed and acted.

And you're correct that we shouldn't be upset with her or frustrated with her when she doesn't listen to us.

I think most of us are compassionate with Katie but very frustrated on trying to help her. But I think, for myself, I need to breathe before I post so that I can truly help her instead of calling her names or call her out on her behavior.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
one of her posts indicated that she had Aspergers (i think) I mean how many issues can one person have? Thats why I have a hard time buying this
Really, Aspergers. I do know that I did read that Katie said she was deaf also. It could be a lot of medical problems that Katie has that explains her behavior and addictions.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
It could be a lot of things. We only have what Katie says - and how she says it - from which to make conclusions. So far, Katie doesn't seem to have any professional diagnoses -- either medical or psychological, so we are trusting her self-diagnoses. Given her apparent mental status, I think that's like using a ladder in quicksand to reach something over our heads.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It bears noting that a person can become psychologically addicted to pretty much anything, be it substance or otherwise...so it doesn't really matter if a given substance is or isn't physically/chemically addictive...a person with compulsive behavior can still behave in a manner consistent with psychological addiction.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Tylenol is not addictive. You can take enough to damage your liver though.

As for drama factor, this is amazingly non-impressive.

I suggest you find something else impressive, such as tylenol PM or perhaps, if you are feeling wild, Nyquil.

Or getting an actual life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships