Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a BEST friend
I am a woman and NO! 32 31.37%
I am a woman and YES! 27 26.47%
I am a man and NO! 19 18.63%
I am a man and YES! 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:36 PM

53 posts, read 51,198 times

Advertisements

real friends are the people you meet in your life and they like you for you, i have many friends that i have had for years, we did not meet online, hiding behind a profile, pretending to be something we are not, i know someone that has zero friends in life, zero, nobody likes her, she sits on the computer everyday on social networking sites, created this profile, pretends to be something she isnt, pretends to be nice, smart, funny, desperate for anybody to say nice things about her, like her, its very, very sad, once off the computer, its back to her miserable existance, why is it miserable? because she is not a nice person, she is selfish, self centered, a lier, cheater, hypocrite, but she seems so nice online, even her husband and kids cant stand her anymore, but this person she created online seems so nice, just a word to the wise, maybe this person you are so easily sending messages to are the total opposite than what you think, not friend material, there are quite a few middle aged older woman on here whose children are grown and moved out, they have nothing to occupy their time now, so they are on here every single day, looking for friendship, looking for something to do, life is to short to sit on a computer every day, go out and enjoy life with the friends you have before its too late, spend time with your husband/wife, do things, before you know it you will be sixty, seventy, eighty, dead. real friends are priceless, there is nothing like it, if this woman im talking about had spent all that time, effort with her husband instead of sitting on the computer everyday her marriage wouldnt be falling apart, and her rear end wouldnt have doubled in size from no exercise! get out and enjoy your friends/family instead of the pretend, phony, people you meet online, anybody can pretend to be anybody online, kindred sprits?? real friends you meet, people who like you for you, the real you, those kind of friends are priceless, and i have lots of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I was thinking about this thread . . . one of my closest friends for nearly 25 years has been diagnosed w/ Alzheimer's. She is doing well on her meds. Visited her this past weekend. We were looking back over the years . . . she is afraid she will forget parts of her life. We started writing emails in 1994. We are digging up some of our favorites and saving them for her as a diary.

The thing about having a close friend over many years is . . . they know our history; they know our hearts. How sad to lose that chronicle of life that the two of you share!

Close friends can keep us sane . . . my husband loves my friends as he says they have to listen to all the chit chat and details he doesn't want to hear about, hee hee hee.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR76 View Post
real friends are the people you meet in your life and they like you for you, i have many friends that i have had for years, we did not meet online, hiding behind a profile, pretending to be something we are not, i know someone that has zero friends in life, zero, nobody likes her, she sits on the computer everyday on social networking sites, created this profile, pretends to be something she isnt, pretends to be nice, smart, funny, desperate for anybody to say nice things about her, like her, its very, very sad, once off the computer, its back to her miserable existance, why is it miserable? because she is not a nice person, she is selfish, self centered, a lier, cheater, hypocrite, but she seems so nice online, even her husband and kids cant stand her anymore, but this person she created online seems so nice, just a word to the wise, maybe this person you are so easily sending messages to are the total opposite than what you think, not friend material, there are quite a few middle aged older woman on here whose children are grown and moved out, they have nothing to occupy their time now, so they are on here every single day, looking for friendship, looking for something to do, life is to short to sit on a computer every day, go out and enjoy life with the friends you have before its too late, spend time with your husband/wife, do things, before you know it you will be sixty, seventy, eighty, dead. real friends are priceless, there is nothing like it, if this woman im talking about had spent all that time, effort with her husband instead of sitting on the computer everyday her marriage wouldnt be falling apart, and her rear end wouldnt have doubled in size from no exercise! get out and enjoy your friends/family instead of the pretend, phony, people you meet online, anybody can pretend to be anybody online, kindred sprits?? real friends you meet, people who like you for you, the real you, those kind of friends are priceless, and i have lots of them!

Many things can bring "kindred spirits" together, including an online forum.

Like I said, I met one of my very best friends here initially several years ago and we are friends in our real lives off of the computer

The person you described above sounds like she could use a real friend, perhaps you could spend some time with her and get her off her computer

Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
That would be a sad state of affairs, indeed . . . but how do you know so much about someone you aren't friends with. ???

Not everyone who posts on forums makes up a false identity. I have found that the people I met "in real life" from our Charlotte forum have been just who they appeared to be online. I met one of my business partners on the Charlotte forum! And Loves and I got really lucky - our husbands became friends, too!

Kindred spirits do somehow find one another . . . and one of the blessings of life is having good friends.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:35 PM

202 posts, read 480,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
In the movies, woman (especially) usually have a best friend who they spend lots of time with and are super close and tend to treat each other almost like a spouse. (Fighting and loving like a spouse but without the sex)
This is exactly me and my best friend, she doesn't even need to say something because we think the same thing at the same moment, we often have the same reaction or tell the same thing at the same time, we're always in touch with each other, phone, texting, we can spend a whole day together outside and then when we get back home we talk for hours on the phone, i think we are friendship soulmates.

Our friendship can be confusing to some people, a few people asked us if we were not in love with each other , that's not the case at all, we love each other like sisters

Old 12-10-2011, 04:13 PM

607 posts, read 1,217,627 times
I have a few really good friends. At certain points in my life - college and grad school - I had friends like in the movies...but I also had a lot of free time back then, my best friends all lived within a couple of miles of miles of me and we didn't have full time jobs so it was much easier to spend more time together hanging out, talking, getting in to arguments and having fun adventures. I just don't have as much time anymore.

Old 12-10-2011, 04:28 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,576,299 times
Quote:
real friends are the people you meet in your life and they like you for you, i have many friends that i have had for years, we did not meet online, hiding behind a profile, pretending to be something we are not, i know someone that has zero friends in life, zero, nobody likes her, she sits on the computer everyday on social networking sites, created this profile, pretends to be something she isnt, pretends to be nice, smart, funny, desperate for anybody to say nice things about her, like her, its very, very sad, once off the computer, its back to her miserable existance, why is it miserable? because she is not a nice person, she is selfish, self centered, a lier, cheater, hypocrite, but she seems so nice online, even her husband and kids cant stand her anymore, but this person she created online seems so nice, just a word to the wise, maybe this person you are so easily sending messages to are the total opposite than what you think, not friend material, there are quite a few middle aged older woman on here whose children are grown and moved out, they have nothing to occupy their time now, so they are on here every single day, looking for friendship, looking for something to do, life is to short to sit on a computer every day, go out and enjoy life with the friends you have before its too late, spend time with your husband/wife, do things, before you know it you will be sixty, seventy, eighty, dead. real friends are priceless, there is nothing like it, if this woman im talking about had spent all that time, effort with her husband instead of sitting on the computer everyday her marriage wouldnt be falling apart, and her rear end wouldnt have doubled in size from no exercise! get out and enjoy your friends/family instead of the pretend, phony, people you meet online, anybody can pretend to be anybody online, kindred sprits?? real friends you meet, people who like you for you, the real you, those kind of friends are priceless, and i have lots of them!....
Why are you here wasting your precious time spewing diatribes at fake and hypocritical forum entities??? ...when you should be interacting with friends/enemies in the "real world!" Just saying...

Last edited by ans57; 12-10-2011 at 05:01 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,110,874 times
Yes, I have a best friend (other than my spouse). Him and I are not inseparable, as you put it. We do communicate with each other on a daily basis, sometimes several times a day, because we are into the same things. He asks my opinion, and I ask his, and we influence each others buying of hobby type items. We share our toys with each other and visit each other's homes. We enjoy dinner's together with our wives included. We are both into shooting sports, we support each other and help each other when ever we can.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:02 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,361,172 times
Quote:

Old 12-10-2011, 06:10 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,361,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Many things can bring "kindred spirits" together, including an online forum.

Like I said, I met one of my very best friends here initially several years ago and we are friends in our real lives off of the computer

The person you described above sounds like she could use a real friend, perhaps you could spend some time with her and get her off her computer
Dont waste your energy on people like her. I've dealt with them plenty-a-time and for them, life is all about being in a clique. I am so glad i removed myself from that type of scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships