Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 01:18 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Human babies that is. Just trying to understand.
Personally I prefer babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Exactly plus babies require far more attention than a dog. You don't have to wake up constantly to tend to a hungry dog, but a baby you do. A dog requires much less maintenance than a human. If I want to go somewhere for a weekend, I can board the dog or even leave it by itself for a day or two - I can't board a baby. A child is orders of magnitude more of a financial commitment than a dog and your obligation to the child will be way more than the dogs lifespan. If TSHTF, the dog can go but you can't get a rid of a kid.
I took my kid with me everywhere. Can't do that with a damn dog. I'll take a kid over a barking, drooling, peeing on the floor dog, any day of the week. I never ever minded have a child to take care of but a dog is just a pain in the @ss.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:19 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,464,952 times
actually I wouldnt want a dog or a baby

the only reason I would get another dog now is for home protection in case of home burglaries

something to guard the house

Old 08-05-2014, 02:38 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I like kids, I have 6 great nephews aged 6 months to 17 years, and I love them all to pieces...however I have never felt a true maternal instinct when around babies like I do with animals. Even as a kid, I used stuffed animals as my baby dolls. I don't think there is a "why", it's just the way God made me.
My daughter is the same way. She never played with dolls when she was a little girl. She got two beautiful baby dolls as a gift one year--a boy and girl. She set them up nicely in a corner of her room, and that's where they stayed. But her stuffed animals got lined up and went to "school" and she played with them all the time. She got Barbies as birthday gifts and was bored with them after a day, except for the time she tied them to the ceiling fan paddles and turned it on to watch them fly around in a big circle.

She has never been terribly fond of kids, but just recently, she took over another teacher's classes at a language school and is teaching individual kids Chinese. She likes these kids, probably because they are all smart kids who WANT to learn to speak Chinese. The only kids she ever babysat were the children of the people who owned the stables where she took her riding lessons, and she liked them, probably because they rode horses as she did. So it appears she only likes children who have the same interests as she does!

She's asked me if I will be heartbroken if she never has kids. NO, being a grandma is not one of my goals, and if she doesn't want children, I don't want her to have them. We are an overpopulated world, and if I get an urge in my old age to play with kids, I can find them elsewhere. My sister has five grandchildren. I'll borrow them if I need one.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
speaking of traits, some of us childfree folk have crazy parents or others in the family with developmental disabilities. Who the hell wants to pass down any of that mess. I don't want to be stuck taking care of an unwanted child and SURELY don't want to give up my life to take care of a child with autism, Down's or other similar things. These people eventually all go to group homes or state institutions because either the caretaker dies, gets ill and needs care themselves, or just wants to work and live their life in peace. I grew up with an autistic half sibling. It was just him and me. My mother was bipolar and had other illnesses. Between fending off my brother and my mother, I absolutely knew by the time I was 10 yrs old I was never EVER going to have children.
I don't blame you for feeling that way. One of my children has autism and I think everyday about what is going to happen when I'm gone. That being said, things have improved, and well-managed group homes and support are a norm now for those who are not fully independent. Even employment! Not institutions.

I prefer puppies BTW. Less work lol.WAY less work. Only thing inhated were the puppy nips from the teeth! I wish kids were born at two, not newborns.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:27 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My daughter is the same way. She never played with dolls when she was a little girl. She got two beautiful baby dolls as a gift one year--a boy and girl. She set them up nicely in a corner of her room, and that's where they stayed. But her stuffed animals got lined up and went to "school" and she played with them all the time. She got Barbies as birthday gifts and was bored with them after a day, except for the time she tied them to the ceiling fan paddles and turned it on to watch them fly around in a big circle.

She has never been terribly fond of kids, but just recently, she took over another teacher's classes at a language school and is teaching individual kids Chinese. She likes these kids, probably because they are all smart kids who WANT to learn to speak Chinese. The only kids she ever babysat were the children of the people who owned the stables where she took her riding lessons, and she liked them, probably because they rode horses as she did. So it appears she only likes children who have the same interests as she does!

She's asked me if I will be heartbroken if she never has kids. NO, being a grandma is not one of my goals, and if she doesn't want children, I don't want her to have them. We are an overpopulated world, and if I get an urge in my old age to play with kids, I can find them elsewhere. My sister has five grandchildren. I'll borrow them if I need one.
My Barbie married a stuffed skunk, in a ceremony performed at home.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
My Barbie married a stuffed skunk, in a ceremony performed at home.
I hope they were happy!

Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
Dogs don't talk and have their own space, while kids and parenthood are a lifetime commitment.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM

50,820 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hope they were happy!
Pretty sure the skunk was happy.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure the skunk was happy.
Only in Ocean City can a skunk grow up to marry Barbie.

I'll be driving down there in a couple of weeks. Once a year an old NJ pal who moved to CA decades ago comes to OC to see her parents, and I take the day off and hang with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships