Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:53 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Animal lovers frequently express how their animals treat them better than any human ever did. I find that statement ridiculous and telling because in my experience if the only living beings that seem to get along with you are animals, that pretty much says it all about your personality.
No. But it DOES say a lot about people in general when people prefer animals to them. I'll say the same thing to you I did to another poster. If you find it "ridculous" to prefer animals to people, and for all the valid reasons posters have mentioned, then you need to campaign your oh-so- wonderful fellow human beings to stop being such *******s to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 09:56 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
then you need to campaign your oh-so- wonderful fellow human beings to stop being such *******s to each other.
That's an inside out job.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM

9,102 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Pets VS kids.

I never had to write an excuse for my dogs.
My dogs never need a ride to the mall.
My dogs don't need new clothing, but I do buy them cute outfits.
My dogs don't need a college fund.
My dogs don't need an allowance or a bank account.
My dogs don't throw temper tantrums or have melt downs.
My dogs love me unconditionally.
My dogs eat once a day.
When it is time for bed, my dogs willing go in their crates. (OK there is a snack involved.)
My dogs don't pester me.
My dogs don't blow snot bubbles.
I never have to tell my dogs to get off the phone, or the Internet.

I'll add a few more.

Pets don't require new shoes every six months that cost $150.00 or more a pop.
Pets don't get upset and moody over something written on social media.
Pets don't get arrested for underage drinking or using drugs.
Pets don't hog the bathroom.

...and most importantly, pets are generally happy receiving basic care and the simple things in life: food, water and a few toys. NO MATERIALISM REQUIRED!

Old 10-26-2014, 01:55 PM

335 posts, read 620,241 times
I have never been one to see a baby in a stroller pass by and think, "Aw, how cute!" But a dog? That's a different story. Rarely have I passed someone walking a dog and not smiled or thought how cute the dog was. (Although we don't have a dog (yet.. thinking about it) we have 2 cats). Half the time the dogs I see are much more behaved than babies/kids I see out there. If I walk into a restaurant and I see a baby, I cringe at the thought of what inevitably will be some ear-piercing scream coming from the child. Yet I'll see dogs outside on restaurant patios and not have the fear that the dog will start barking and ruin my meal.

In the past I have thanked parents of a screaming child for finally making up my mind that I do NOT want to have kids.

Even when I thought i might have wanted kids, I still didn't have the urge to go gaga over babies in strollers.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,687,436 times
Dont forget that DCS wont ever come to your house to investigate how youre raising your puppy or other animal.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:08 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Dont forget that DCS wont ever come to your house to investigate how youre raising your puppy or other animal.
Fail.

Our sheety neighbor just had his dogs removed from his home due to neglect.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Fail.

Our sheety neighbor just had his dogs removed from his home due to neglect.
We are in a culture where children seem to be artificially worshipped and can do no wrong, no matter what the intent is. A 16 year old is almost always viewed as the victim, no matter what happens. A minor can have very bad intentions.

An animal is not accountable for its actions, because it lacks reasoning.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:45 PM

542 posts, read 692,317 times
I don't like loud, unexpected sounds, so screeching babies, toddlers, and young kids can drive me up the wall. I've never had much of a maternal instinct, and I've never desired my own kids. I have a baby nephew now, and although I find him adorable and cute (when he's not screaming or shrieking) I still don't gravitate toward other 'cute' kids (particularly after seeing firsthand how much care the baby needs). Cute puppies, though, will make me coo and make me want to cuddle them.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:58 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,616,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Human babies that is. Just trying to understand.
I think some babies and kids are cute, but I don't really feel a connection to them because they aren't mine. I don't dislike them, but I like my cat a whole lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships