Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM

348 posts, read 846,351 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone! I am wondering what others think about these neighbors I have that live across the hall from me. I live in a condo building and the stairs that lead to my condo is in an enclosed space. In other words it is not open like you see stairwells in most garden apartment units.

So when you walk through the building you can basically hear what everyone is doing when you pass their door. Every time I come home and unlock my door my neighbor across the hall mutes their TV so they can hear everything I am doing, at least that is the feeling I get.

Each and every time I come home I can hear their TV playing and I unlock my door (real quietly), I don't make a lot of noise, open my door and go inside, their TV is already mute and I feel like they do it on purpose because of being nosy busy bodies. Am I over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Doesn't matter if you're over-reacting or not (I think you are), there's nothing you can do about it...except maybe give them something nice and juicy to listen to.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,611 times
Maybe you just found a very, very minute wrinkle of space time right there, and no sound can penetrate that area. You are clearly over reacting to them being nosy and under reacting to the possibility of a cosmic anomaly.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:53 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Default Not being nosy..

The person is in their own house and simply listening briefly to sound in the hall. Nosy would be opening the door a crack and peeking out, Like a neighbor in my old building used to do. She would crack open the door and peek out, And when you looked she would move out of the way-Like i did not see that right? She would also gossip about everyone. Every apt building-at least in NYC here has it's share of characters. There is the nosy one, The loud partying one, The dirty one who throws garbage out the window (I have one now) and the local drunk or wacko. I ofter wonder why they call them "apartments when they are actually together.

Don't worry about this neighbor at all.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM

348 posts, read 846,351 times
Thank you everyone for your responses. I know it's their right to mute their TV if they want to, and it could be a lot worse. Well I guess I just won't worry about it.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post
Hello Everyone! I am wondering what others think about these neighbors I have that live across the hall from me. I live in a condo building and the stairs that lead to my condo is in an enclosed space. In other words it is not open like you see stairwells in most garden apartment units.

So when you walk through the building you can basically hear what everyone is doing when you pass their door. Every time I come home and unlock my door my neighbor across the hall mutes their TV so they can hear everything I am doing, at least that is the feeling I get.

Each and every time I come home I can hear their TV playing and I unlock my door (real quietly), I don't make a lot of noise, open my door and go inside, their TV is already mute and I feel like they do it on purpose because of being nosy busy bodies. Am I over-reacting?
Maybe they're muting it out of consideration for you, so their TV noise won't bother you...? What are they going to hear, anyway? If you live alone, there's nothing to listen to.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
I agree with D Scott, they are muting the tv to make sure nothing is amiss. Thanks to their habit, if one day someone tries to break into your apt when you are gone, the neighbors will notice and call the cops.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
I think you are being a wee bit paranoid myself. I mute my television if I ever have it on or the sound on my computer if I hear someone out of the ordinary outside my home. I am alone most of the time so it is my own sense of security to know what sounds are normal inside and outside of my home just in case I need to get help here as quickly as possible.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think you are being a wee bit paranoid myself. I mute my television if I ever have it on or the sound on my computer if I hear someone out of the ordinary outside my home. I am alone most of the time so it is my own sense of security to know what sounds are normal inside and outside of my home just in case I need to get help here as quickly as possible.
^^This. (Thanks for saving me the effort of typing that out!)

Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
I think you are eggagerating this situation. What is the most they can do, hear you open and close your door? Big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships