Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 12:31 PM

24 posts, read 90,751 times

Advertisements

I'm a Christian. I go to church every week. However, I skipped church today to protest Mother's Day (knowing that topic would come up this morning).

Why? Because I don't like my mother. My relationship with her is highly strained. I'm assuming that means I chose the correct subform for this topic.

I don't even like calling her my mother. She's just my biological mother. I wish she had given me away at birth to some other family who wants to love a child even if he's gay. I actually ran away from home, twice, but I didn't have the resources and courage to keep it up and stay away.

My biological mother is a bigot. She hates blacks and she hates gays. For some reason she doesn't hate jews. David Duke is more of an equal opportunity bigot than her. Worse yet, she concentrates her hatred of blacks and gays onto the gays. She feels sorry for blacks because they're stupid, but gays are much worse. They're sinners, and they do that on purpose!

I quit sending this person a Mother's Day card several years ago. I just didn't think she deserves it because she's a bigot/homophobe. Just like David Duke, though, she's a Christian! She gives all Christians a bad name. Like so many, she's divorced and remarried, a sin according to the Bible, but she ignores that. People like her is the reason homophobia is the #1 problem non-christians have with christians. Seriously, are christians trying to make themselves irrelevant?

I would like to disown my mother, officially demote her from mother to biological mother, and I'll replace her position with my dad's new wife. My question is, has anyone done this? What should I put in a disownment letter? Spell it all out why I'm ashamed of her, or keep it short and sweet? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,019,314 times
Hey at least you have a mother who could be in your life.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
I am completely on board with you about sitting out Mother's Day because my relationship with my own mother is not the Hallmark version.

However, sending a letter like that is dangerous. It sounds like you just want to inflict some revenge on her for not being what you want and need.

Why not just write it to get your feelings out, then burn it or throw it away?

Why this need to make it "official"?

Old 05-13-2012, 01:24 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,398,402 times
Forget the disownment letter, it's melodramatic and counter productive. You have every right not to send your mom a Mother's Day card and to forget she ever lived. Millions of people who have had bad relationships with their mothers do this, you are FAR from alone.

She deserves no written explanation why you have "divorced" her. Your silence is sufficiently eloquent. Take heart: my husband hasn't seen his mother in 21 years, since he married me. His mom told him, "if you marry that girl, I will never see you again!"

And guess what? She's hasn't.

Her loss.

So don't feel guilty about being estranged or ignoring your mother. If a child never sees a parent, you can bet there is a damn good reason for it. So chin up and continue ignoring her. It will get easier as the years pile up with no contact.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Hey at least you have a mother who could be in your life.
It's not always better.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:44 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,294 times
Lightbulb ohhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 cats View Post
I'm a Christian. I go to church every week. However, I skipped church today to protest Mother's Day (knowing that topic would come up this morning).

Why? Because I don't like my mother. My relationship with her is highly strained. I'm assuming that means I chose the correct subform for this topic.

I don't even like calling her my mother. She's just my biological mother. I wish she had given me away at birth to some other family who wants to love a child even if he's gay. I actually ran away from home, twice, but I didn't have the resources and courage to keep it up and stay away.

My biological mother is a bigot. She hates blacks and she hates gays. For some reason she doesn't hate jews. David Duke is more of an equal opportunity bigot than her. Worse yet, she concentrates her hatred of blacks and gays onto the gays. She feels sorry for blacks because they're stupid, but gays are much worse. They're sinners, and they do that on purpose!

I quit sending this person a Mother's Day card several years ago. I just didn't think she deserves it because she's a bigot/homophobe. Just like David Duke, though, she's a Christian! She gives all Christians a bad name. Like so many, she's divorced and remarried, a sin according to the Bible, but she ignores that. People like her is the reason homophobia is the #1 problem non-christians have with christians. Seriously, are christians trying to make themselves irrelevant?

I would like to disown my mother, officially demote her from mother to biological mother, and I'll replace her position with my dad's new wife. My question is, has anyone done this? What should I put in a disownment letter? Spell it all out why I'm ashamed of her, or keep it short and sweet? Thanks!
I'm so sorry to here this...Every Mothers Day I place a large vase of Carnations on our dining table out of memory to our Mother's who have
passed... you should reevaluate.
Koale

Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 PM

709 posts, read 956,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 cats View Post
I actually ran away from home, twice, but I didn't have the resources and courage to keep it up and stay away.
So you used your mother because you couldn't afford to live on your own, but you can't give her a card to say Thank you? How very christian like of you!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,398,402 times
I notice on this thread that some people who have great relationships with their mom are trying to put their experiences onto the OP. ("Reevaluate!") Just because someone has had a lovely, caring mom does not mean everyone else has been so fortunate.

The OP does not have a loving mother, she is toxic.

I don't understand why sending a Mother's Day Card (or not sending one) is a big deal. People who are close to their moms are close to them all year long, not just on Mom's day.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,199,898 times
I'm sorry to hear that your mom dislikes people who are gay.

If my child was a good person I wouldn't care if they were gay, bi-sexual, straight or asexual. It is your mother's loss.

Hang in there!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 PM

52,349 posts, read 52,799,906 times
Assuming all the OP said was/is true, I feel bad for the guy.

Move on... get on with your life, surround yourself with people who won't drag you down.

Life is too short.

Cliche?

Yes, but it true as heck.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships